Switch to Forum Live View Oprah toppled from most powerful celebrity in the world --- by Angelina Jolie!
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 12:16PM #1
Agnosticspirit

Oprah..... one mention on her show can put a fledging business on the map like no other. A book, when it makes Oprah's book club..... is almost guaranteed to make the best seller lists.

There's no denying Oprah's influence.... she may even have helped Obama too! A president maker, business launcher, philanthropist.... Oprah has it all....

Except... She's no longer the most powerful celebrity in the world.... For the first time, Angelina Jolie has been named Forbes most powerful celebrity....

Angelina Jolie? Yep... I've grudgingly come to respect AJ --- for her philanthropy if nothing else.... Being appointed as a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador is pretty hard to beat too.... It's hard not to envy someone who's so gorgeous she stops traffic, who has the ultimate accessory on her arm aka Brad Pitt.... (BTW,  I do NOT mean to imply that Brad Pitt is a mere appendage/ornament for Angelina Jolie) just that he's a great catch and many single women of the world cried when we realized he's STILL not available and how can an ordinary looking woman even HOPE to complete with such an extraordinary woman like Angelina Jolie?

I've never met Angelina -- or Brad ---- so I can't claim to know them... I only know of what I read.... but what I read... as I mentioned before.... my envy has been overridden by what was first a grudging respect, then replaced by admiration. Angelina just may be as beautiful inside as she is outside.

Let's hope she continues to weild her power and influence with compassion, mercy, and wisdom.

Way to go, Angelina... And don't worry, Oprah.... you may have been reduced to second place, but you won't be forgotten... Smile

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:09PM #2
Agnosticspirit

This thread originated in the Hot Topics Zone.... since moved to Entertainment.

---- agnosticspirit - Bnet Community co-host HTZ

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2009 - 4:55AM #3
Don't_Be_Captious

I remember hearing some comedian mock Brangelina's perfection by describing what the birth of their first child must have been like:  Something like when she parted her legs, a blinding beam of sacred Holy Light must have emerged...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2009 - 1:40PM #4
Marcion

It's about time, Oprah has much too much influence on women in America.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 11:52AM #5
Agnosticspirit

Jun 10, 2009 -- 4:55AM, Don't_Be_Captious wrote:

I remember hearing some comedian mock Brangelina's perfection by describing what the birth of their first child must have been like:  Something like when she parted her legs, a blinding beam of sacred Holy Light must have emerged...

Wow.... hadn't heard that one before.... Smile What's next, will she be raised to the status of Saint? Hmm... do you have to be a Catholic to be a saint?  I think Angelina is either an atheist or an agnostic.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 11:57AM #6
Agnosticspirit

Jun 25, 2009 -- 1:40PM, Marcion wrote:

It's about time, Oprah has much too much influence on women in America.

What kind of influence, Marcion? Good, bad?

I must confess..... when Oprah recommends a book, I'm not overly inclined to read it just because she recommends it.... Yet  in the last year, I've picked up two books she recommended and they were absolutely FANTASTIC!

East of Eden - by John Steinbeck

The Kite Runner - by Khaled Hosseini --- I've since read his second novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns and will look for any of his future works... He's an extremely gifted author

If the rest of the books Oprah recommends are on a similar plane as the above, I'd say her influence is for the better.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook