Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 8:45PM #1
smokepit

I ride the MARC (commuter) train from BWI station to New Carrollton station every morning and evening.

I feel GOD is pushing me to start a morning train prayer group. The ride is about 15 - 20 minutes each morning. I'm thinking of getting 4-6 people together on the train each morning to pray with and for one another. Problem is... I have no idea how to advertise/promote/organize this. I was thinking of starting a blog entitled "Morning MARC" to try and contact riders.

So what do you think ??

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 9:10PM #2
Stardove

Jun 3, 2009 -- 8:45PM, smokepit wrote:

I ride the MARC (commuter) train from BWI station to New Carrollton station every morning and evening.

I feel GOD is pushing me to start a morning train prayer group. The ride is about 15 - 20 minutes each morning. I'm thinking of getting 4-6 people together on the train each morning to pray with and for one another. Problem is... I have no idea how to advertise/promote/organize this. I was thinking of starting a blog entitled "Morning MARC" to try and contact riders.

So what do you think ??

Welcome to the site Smokepit and to the Hot Topic Zone.  What a place to get started.  Wink

Assuming you are a Christian I would be begin slowly.  First start talking to those you see every day on the commute.  Find out what their spiritual beliefs are.  After getting to know some of your fellow travelers you will know which ones to ask about a prayer group.  If the train is like Beliefnet then people riding the train will have all kinds of different spiritual beliefs or non at all.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 9:53PM #3
runegurl

why do you feel "god is pushing you" to do this?  what need do you see/feel for such a group?

i think you should listen to your heart, here, dude, but I also have to tell you that i'm a bit wary when people want to start acting out their religion in the public sphere where i can't get away from it. 

is this a bus, where people who may not want to listen in will be trapped? is it a train, where you can reasonably expect to accomodate people who want nothing to do with it?  what do you hope to accomplish here? an outlet for established christians to find one another and share a quick moment, or are we trying to get converts?  i suspect you will need to have that firmly in mind and communicate it to all comers, if you are not looking to proselytize. 

will the company let you post a flyer?  for that matter, have you checked with the company to see if they even allow such a thing?  it might be more of a legal sticking point than they are willing to go (the old "if we let you do it, then we have to let everyone do it and we don't want to be botered" bureacracy at work).

rune

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 10:39PM #4
smokepit

Jun 3, 2009 -- 9:53PM, runegurl wrote:

why do you feel "god is pushing you" to do this?  what need do you see/feel for such a group?

i think you should listen to your heart, here, dude, but I also have to tell you that i'm a bit wary when people want to start acting out their religion in the public sphere where i can't get away from it. 

is this a bus, where people who may not want to listen in will be trapped? is it a train, where you can reasonably expect to accomodate people who want nothing to do with it?  what do you hope to accomplish here? an outlet for established christians to find one another and share a quick moment, or are we trying to get converts?  i suspect you will need to have that firmly in mind and communicate it to all comers, if you are not looking to proselytize. 

will the company let you post a flyer?  for that matter, have you checked with the company to see if they even allow such a thing?  it might be more of a legal sticking point than they are willing to go (the old "if we let you do it, then we have to let everyone do it and we don't want to be botered" bureacracy at work).

rune

What is the difference with people on the train praising/criticising politicans whom I strongly disagree/support and people "acting out their religion in the public sphere where i can't get away from it"? What is wrong with a couple people getting together and praying for strength for the coming day ?

You do have a valid point about if the train operating (state of MD) would have a problem with people praying on their train. Taking your thought process further, you should BAN talking on public transportation for fear someone might get offended.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 11:32PM #5
miami-ted

Hello SP,

My encouragement for a first step would be to spend a couple bucks and have a nicely done copy page to hand out to people on the train.  Establish in your 'ad' what time and where you will meet.  For example:  We will meet together in the first/last three seats at 9:15 for a short time of prayer and praise.

One thing that may be of concern is how busy the train/bus is and whether or not you will always be able to set aside the seating area.  If only 4 people out of a car load of 55 are interested then sitting together will be a necessity.  If, on the other hand, 50 out of a carload of 55 will pretty much be able to sit wherever they want and the non-participants may want to bring a good book.

I trust you will consider these things and maybe in the next few days of conversing with other passengers find another who shares your passion to assist.

God bless.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 8:26AM #6
delmarvamom

I think it is a neat idea if

1) You can find a small group of like minded folks  

2) You are quiet and not disruptive.  You could even pray in silence after a short discussion.  

3) Your intention is not to intrude on others.

I always think that prayer is one thing no one can stop you from doing anywhere anytime.  But they can stop you from making it public or at least try. 

Some people may not like it no matter how hard you try.  Imagine Muslims taking to public prayer on the train and then realize that some will react to you in the same way. 

I would start with praying silently on your own and then decide if that is enough for you to start your day in a spiritual way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 8:36AM #7
Christianlib

I would reiterate.  IF the people around you want to join you in prayer, fine.

IF you find yourself trying to draw attention, as in "praying aloud in public like the Pharisees...", then you are probably in conflict with Gospel teaching.

Public prayer as a "witness" to a captive audience is not only rude, it is un-biblical.

JMHO

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 8:36AM #8
Tmarie64

Why do you need to pray in a group?   Do you need recognition?  What happens when your little group is trying to pray and others won't be quiet?  

Can't you pray alone?  Silently?  Why the need to "show" how "good" you are?

It's public transportation... Are you prepared, and willing, to take the criticism that will, eventually, come?

Are you prepared for the non-Christian groups to get into the picture?

I just have to ask, again, why some Christians just can't simply sit quietly and pray without making a big show of it.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 3:26PM #9
smokepit

Jun 4, 2009 -- 8:36AM, Tmarie64 wrote:

Why do you need to pray in a group?   Do you need recognition?  What happens when your little group is trying to pray and others won't be quiet?  

It's public transportation... Are you prepared, and willing, to take the criticism that will, eventually, come?

I just have to ask, again, why some Christians just can't simply sit quietly and pray without making a big show of it.

So when 3-4 people on the train are "praising" a certian politican, they are looking for recognition or talking about a sports team they are looking for recognition? Is it the "praying" outloud that gets you upset ? What if the group talked religion ? And during that talk they happen to quote verse from the Bible, would that too be offensive or disruptive ?

I just have to ask, why some people just can't keep thier political views to themselves and not make a big show of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 3:41PM #10
Christianlib

Jun 4, 2009 -- 3:26PM, smokepit wrote:

Jun 4, 2009 -- 8:36AM, Tmarie64 wrote:

So when 3-4 people on the train are "praising" a certian politican, they are looking for recognition or talking about a sports team they are looking for recognition? Is it the "praying" outloud that gets you upset ? What if the group talked religion ? And during that talk they happen to quote verse from the Bible, would that too be offensive or disruptive ?

I just have to ask, why some people just can't keep thier political views to themselves and not make a big show of it.

NOW we see who you really are.

Yes, if others are talking so loudly about sports or politics, or whatever, knitting if you will, that they bother and annoy others, they are rude.

Do you think the solution to their rudeness is "Holy rudeness" by you?

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook