Page 5 of 42  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 42 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: The Chill-out Café
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 11:40PM #41
Agnosticspirit

Ugghhhh.... suddenly I'm reminded of all those blue-haired ladies putting together the canned corn, coleslaw, macaroni salad,  and jello molds with WHIPPED CREAM and grated CARROTS of my formative years. I'm certain all those Lutheran potlucks of childhood contributed to my rejection of synthetic food from a box/can, anything that's unnaturally green and wiggles,  (remember Knox Blox?), and silly molded concoctions that pass for dessert....

Re: the lamb you mentioned.... I'm getting a visual of the last scene of Fried Green Tomatoes....
think I'll stick with vegetarian fare tonight....  barbeque isn't sounding so appealing right now... :)

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 1:45AM #42
Ken

Jun 7, 2009 -- 11:40PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

. . . and silly molded concoctions that pass for dessert....

Yummy!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 1:49AM #43
Ken

Jun 7, 2009 -- 11:40PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

I'm certain all those Lutheran potlucks of childhood contributed to my rejection of synthetic food from a box/can, anything that's unnaturally green and wiggles, (remember Knox Blox?), and silly molded concoctions that pass for dessert....

www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/knox/kn...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 5:39AM #44
Adelphe

It has huge quantities of corn syrup and sugar, which accounts in large part for its peculiar nastiness, but also for its prominence in a certain kind of American Protestant festive cuisine. It was first marketed during the depths of the Great Depression as a cheap substitute for mayonnaise. The Depression ended. Miracle Whip didn't. It's still out there, lying in wait for unwary mayonnaise lovers.

LOL!  "American Protestant Festive Cuisine."  A good cookbook title!  And I like Miracle Whip.  My mother would give me baloney sandwiches with Miracle Whip for lunch at school.  I would fling the baloney into the trash can and just eat the bread with the MW on it. Tongue out

Yesterday I was at Yankee Stadium.  In their long covered crosswalk over the train tracks and highways to get from parking to the stadium, the entire interior was plastered with Miracle Whip advertising.  One of them:  "We are Miracle Whip.  And we will not tone it down."  There is a scary movement under foot...

Anyway, in my best Protestant Reformation voice:  "You vill eat zee macaroni zalad and you vill like it."  Because after the JW's, The Atheists are next.

I have no qualms about converting to Roman Catholicism either to carry out my plan.  Woe to you, if I invite you to a Christmas party in a Catholic church hall!  You will be served, instead, EITHER crusty lasagna and/or baked ziti in a collapsing tinfoil pan OR dry and gag-worthy soda bread and a gloppy pot of corned beef and cabbage.  Tongue out

The genius, alas, belongs to Roald Dahl:

www.classicshorts.com/stories/lamb.html<...

Ah, well, it did seem vaguely familiar.  I was glad to note that it wasn't from the dark recesses of my own mind.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 7:59AM #45
Christianlib

LOL!  "American Protestant Festive Cuisine."

Adelph,

There is such a cookbook.  The title is "White Trash Cooking."  Really.  It was written kind of as a joke, and was given to me by a friend who knows I collect cook books.

But, upon reading it, I discovered it has all of my favorite family recipes in it.

Ooops.!

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 8:09AM #46
Adelphe

Jun 8, 2009 -- 7:59AM, Christianlib wrote:

LOL!  "American Protestant Festive Cuisine."

Adelph,

There is such a cookbook.  The title is "White Trash Cooking."  Really.  It was written kind of as a joke, and was given to me by a friend who knows I collect cook books.

But, upon reading it, I discovered it has all of my favorite family recipes in it.

Ooops.!

Now wait just a minute.

You wouldn't be equating American Protestants with...White Trash...would you be?

Is there anything in there on how to make good use of road kill?

Hate for it to go to waste!

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 8:24AM #47
Christianlib

Well, one COULD make the argument that while not all Protestants are White Trash (notice the upper case), all White Trash are Protestants.

One COULD make that argument.

But it would be (perhaps) unkind.

All I REALLY  said was, that cookbook REALLY seemed heavy on favorite recipes from my family.

Come to your own conclusions.Embarassed

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 9:22AM #48
johndavid23

Why does the "Hot Topics Zone" have the same old rabid censors as the usual boards?

Seriously, paid military propagandists do not have to control the content of every thread on Bnet do they?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 9:53AM #49
Christianlib

Jun 8, 2009 -- 9:22AM, johndavid23 wrote:

Why does the "Hot Topics Zone" have the same old rabid censors as the usual boards?

Seriously, paid military propagandists do not have to control the content of every thread on Bnet do they?

You bore me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 10:00AM #50
johndavid23

Jun 8, 2009 -- 9:53AM, Christianlib wrote:

You bore me.

I am not responsible for your state of mind or your posts.  Stop being boring.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 42  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 42 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook