Page 36 of 43  •  Prev 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 43 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: The Chill-out Café
4 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2010 - 3:14PM #351
Stardove

Jul 17, 2010 -- 2:34PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Bummer. I got here too late since I've been busy and haven't logged on in awhile.

The video's been removed by user. Double rainbows are magnificient.

Maybe this can take it's place?   

LOL.  We have now posted the same video.  Lesson for me I should have looked at your posted video, before I went and found the same video.  Embarassed

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2010 - 3:26PM #352
Weepingangelofthetrees

Jul 17, 2010 -- 3:14PM, Stardove wrote:

Jul 17, 2010 -- 2:34PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Bummer. I got here too late since I've been busy and haven't logged on in awhile.

The video's been removed by user. Double rainbows are magnificient.

Maybe this can take it's place?

LOL.  We have now posted the same video.  Lesson for me I should have looked at your posted video, before I went and found the same video. 

No, not at all. Laughing You posted your video link well before mine. I didn't check my Email until today. And since I subscribed to this thread I found notice of your double rainbow video post well after it's producer removed it from You tube.
I don't know who it was that made that video, since once it's removed there's no screen name to credit. I instead went to YouTube to find a video to take it's place, not knowing it was the same one you posted.
Kismet. Gotta love that. Wink Don't feel bad. We once again have a gorgeous double rainbow to marvel at on the board.

(HUGS)

Blessed Saturday. Laughing

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 5:59PM #353
Weepingangelofthetrees

If she's still alive, every day is Mother's day and you get only one.

It's so easy to repeat that lame mantra; "I'll do it later." When thinking about calling her or sending her a letter. Or even surprising her with a bouquet or a little something you see, when out and about and that reminds you of her.

But when she's passed away, you're the one left with that realization for the rest of your life. There is no more later because there's no more time to make it up to her.

I lost my mom to cancer 10 years ago. She died beside me as I sat with her on the bed she shared with my dad all my life, until he passed the year before from cancer too. She was in a home Hospice program and so it was a blessing to have her here where her friends could visit without worry of visiting hours and lack of privacy.

When I was young I couldn't wait to get out of the house and carve out my own dreams. And like many children who leave home, I thought there would always be time for them, when I wasn't busy living my life. I didn't call as often as I should have. I didn't write much, though I always remembered occasion cards.

When they took ill we moved back home so as to provide for them in a time of need and insure the family business was secure so that their income wasn't hampered by illness. And even then I felt myself drift away as if I couldn't bear to watch them wither and die.

If you've ever known someone suffering cancer you know how virulent that dread disease can be, whittling down someone you remember as strong and healthy into a puny vacant eyed sadness that appears in such a way as to make death and relief from that horror seem like a blessing. It wasn't the cancer that did this to her. It was the side effects of the treatments.

Mom passed away with her friends and family at her bedside. And while she tried to hold on until her sisters traveling from the south arrived to say goodbye, we told her if she was ready it was OK to go. And then we sang her to peace with her favorite hymns.

If your mother is alive today, call her. Send her a card out of the blue, or a heart felt letter letting her know that without  her you know you would literally be nothing. Send flowers because their perfume beauty will bring a smile to her face. Because when flowers circle a casket the memory of what should have been if you had made the time for it, comes home with a crash.

(HUG) Your mommy. You are living proof she was pro-choice!

And once she's gone, it's forever. And then what you have to live with forever isn't her. It's the regret for what you didn't do when it was all you, that chose not to take the time.

God/Goddess Bless the Mother.

I still love you mom. And I will miss you tomorrow too. Cry

(P.S. To the Mod. If this is too depressing for the theme of this thread, I completely respect and understand that and have no problem if you delete or move it. )

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2010 - 1:47AM #354
Stardove

Catboxer posted this video in a new thread.  Comment follow video.  Stardove

Jul 28, 2010 -- 11:12AM, Tolerant Sis wrote:

Hysterical!

Jul 28, 2010 -- 12:06PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Oh, I Love it!

Is that David Fincher on the phone?!

Jul 28, 2010 -- 4:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

A totally blank OP?  Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Jul 28, 2010 -- 4:07PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Jul 28, 2010 -- 4:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

A totally blank OP?  Sorry, but I just don't get it.

You're suppose to be able to see the You Tube video the OP contains. Does this not feed for your computer?!

If not, perhaps this link will let you see it. It could be the server link here is in conflict with your ISP. www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2PM0om2El8&feat...

Though I dare say if you're completely unaware of the original film, "Fight Club" (Brad Pitt) , you may still not "get" it. 

Excellent movie,by the way. Worth the rental so as to get it, I think.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 1:25PM #355
Stardove

This is a song I wrote years ago in three chords, and Hank changed the music to what you'll hear.  You will see a transformation in my husband from years ago to today in the slide show.  Enjoy!

And the one picture the video captured of myself. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2010 - 1:22PM #356
Stardove

Post started by catboxer and comments.  Moved because this is not current news.  Sorry the picture is not available.  Stardove

Aug 9, 2010 -- 5:58PM, catboxer wrote:

I  love the old songs that also serve as annotations on history. "White  House Blues" concerns the 1901 assassination of President William  McKinley by a frustrated job seeker who bore the wonderfully sinister  name of Czolgosz, performed here by the great bluegrass banjoist and  singer Charlie Poole and his North Carolina Ramblers. I don't know who  the fiddler was, but he had a wonderful way with the final notes of many  of the instrumental phrases. Not a blues strictly speaking, the song  consists of rhymed couplets, each capped by one of several refrains.

McKinley  was shot while shaking hands in a receiving line in Buffalo, NY.  Czolgosz stood in the line with one hand wrapped in a bandage concealing  the weapon. The assassination resulted in Vice-President Teddy  Roosevelt assuming the highest office ("That damned cowboy" as one  contemporary pundit called him), and the song also refers to Roosevelt's  daughter Alice.

I've found that the best, most edifying way to listen to these old chestnuts is to open a second browser window, then call up the YouTube video and  play it while reading the lyrics. You can either click the link and use  the second window to re-access this site, or stay here and call up  YouTube in the second window and key "White House Blues" into the search  function. You'll want the first item on the results page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

McKinley hollered, McKinley squalled
Doc said "McKinley, I can't find that ball."
From Buffalo to Washington.

Roosevelt in the White House, he's doin' his best;
McKinley in the graveyard, he's takin' his rest,
He's gone, a long, long time.

Hush up little children, now don't you fret;
You'll draw a pension at your papa's death,

Roosevelt in the White House takin' Alice to her cup;
McKinley in the graveyard, he'll never wake up;
He's gone, long old time.

Ain't but one thing that grieves my mind,
That is to die and leave my poor wife behind,
I'm gone, a long old time.

Looky here little children, don't you fret;
You'll draw a pension at your papa's death,

Standing at the station, just lookin' at the time;
See if I could run it by half past nine

Then the train, she's just on time,
She run about a mile's far 'tween eight o' clock and nine,

Yonder come the train, she's comin down the line,
Slowin' every station, Mr. McKinley's a-dyin',
It's hard times, hard times.

Lookit here, you rascal, you see what you've done?
You shot my husband with that Iver Johnson gun,
Can't (unintelligible) to Washington

Doc told the horse, he tore down his mane,
Said to that horse, "You got to outrun this train."

Doc (unintelligible) his remedy, takes off his fix,
Said, "Mr. McKinley, Better pass in your checks,
You're bound to die, bound to die."

Aug 9, 2010 -- 6:21PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Sounds  like the soundtrack that would accompany a media slide show of all the  radical right wingers who gather at Tea Party rallies and those who have  been caught carrying guns when attending an Obama public appearance.  Like that half-wit Kostric, who carried a sign that read: "It is time to  water the tree of Liberty".  Alluding to the Jefferson quote, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Presidential Assassinations aren't music to anyone's ears!  

Aug 9, 2010 -- 6:34PM, catboxer wrote:

Well  it's not like whoever wrote that old song way back when, whoever it  was, was celebrating the assassination. It was an event worthy of  comment, and the writer did throw in a few wry witticisms, such as

Hush little children, don't you fret;

You'll draw a pension at your papa's death.

Lightning Hopkins once wrote a song called "Mean Old Twister," about a  Texas tornado that nearly demolished "the shack where I was livin'." I  don't think he was celebrating that event either, except maybe the fact  that his house "reeled and rocked, but it never fell."

Disasters are as worthy of note as love affairs, and maybe more so.

I should probably also mention that I'm a political radical but  mostly a musical reactionary, and usually much prefer the music I'm not  old enough to remember (pre-WWII) to that which I do remember  (postwar). 

Aug 9, 2010 -- 6:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

So, you're a blues fan, catboxer.    As we say here, good on ya! 

That McKinley song was wonderful!  I loved those lyrics.  They  certainly don't write them like that anymore, sadly enough.  But, then, I  guess the golden age of American popular music ended fifty years ago  with the coming of rock 'n' roll.

I've always been a slavishly devoted lover of old jazz, especially  the early stuff, and its roots are in the blues.  I'll bet you're a love  of Big Bill Broonzy, too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bill_Broonzy

Ken Burns brought out some of that in his great series about jazz, which I've got and have watched numerous times.

Back to the McKinley assassionation -

The guy did the country a favour, because ol' Teddy proved to be one  of your great presidents, pushing for the national parks, for one thing,  and instituting other reforms.  As I recall from reading about the  assassination, if McKinley had been shot today, the doctors could have  saved him.

Aug 9, 2010 -- 6:43PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

I like old music as well. Big band, the Lawrence Welk re-runs.  But don't tell anyone. (I also love ball room dancing)  I even  inherited old vinyl 12 inch records.  I think they're 1940's style or  so. I know about the old time theme's and putting news worthy events  into song. That YT link in the OP reminded me of the Tea Party and how  so many radicals are now subtly referencing taking BA out of office in  ways other than 2012 election.

I didn't insinuate that you were calling for that, by the way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 4:20PM #357
catboxer

Special Delivery

The Marvelettes were the first big-time girl group to come out of Detroit. Actually, they came out of Inkster, from the high school in that Detroit suburb, where they finished fourth(!) in a school talent contest.

The school let them go to the big audition at new Motown Records studios anyway, even though only the first three finishers were supposed to go. The story becomes complex at that point, but the upshot is the girls were able to record "Please, Mr. Postman," released in the summer of '61 and subsequently at number one on all charts for seven weeks.

Even though this video is lip-synced, it's a rave. The song has few lyrics and no story -- it's not a narrative but a sweetheart's lament, delivered up-tempo and syncopated, like it was a celebration. Leadsinger Gladys Horton, at left in the photo, simply overpowers the vocal and wrestles it into submission, in a pound-'em-down-to-the-bricks performance.

For more on the complicated and chequered history of theMarvelettes, see the article at Wikipedia.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2010 - 12:25AM #358
Stardove

Posted by catboxer.  Check out his new group for Parkinson Disease support.

Aug 13, 2010 -- 8:55AM, catboxer wrote:

I've started a  Parkinson's Disease support group for those of us who have it, and for  people close to them -- spouses, relatives, friends, and other loved  ones, and for anyone else who knows someone with the disease or simply  wishes to discuss it and/or learn more about it.

I'll be putting up a first post later today. Here is the link to group.

community.beliefnet.com/parkinsonsdiseas...

--Dave B

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 9:48PM #359
Weepingangelofthetrees

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 9:57PM #360
Weepingangelofthetrees

By Mary Oliver

One day you finally knew

what you had to do, and began,

though the voices around you

kept shouting

their bad advice--

though the whole house

began to tremble

and you felt the old tug

at your ankles.

"Mend my life!"

each voice cried.

But you didn't stop.

You knew what you had to do,

though the wind pried

with its stiff fingers

at the very foundations,

though their melancholy

was terrible.

It was already late

enough, and a wild night,

and the road full of fallen

branches and stones.

But little by little,

as you left their voices behind,

the stars began to burn

through the sheets of clouds,

and there was a new voice

which you slowly

recognized as your own,

that kept you company

as you strode deeper and deeper

into the world,

determined to do

the only thing you could do--

determined to save

the only life you could save.

^Click the picture to find peace^

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 36 of 43  •  Prev 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 43 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook