Post Reply
Page 1 of 42  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: The Chill-out Café
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 11:43AM #1
BeliefnetCheryl
Posts: 341

Need a break from the debates? Pull up a chair and have a long cold iced tea and relax. Got a movie you want to recommend? Enjoyed a book lately? This is the place to relax and enjoy casual discussion. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:02PM #2
Lonesentinel
Posts: 2,423

So, this 'cafe' is to be a place where hopefully posters who argue incessantly might find a place where they can show respect for eachother for simply being members of the human race?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:12PM #3
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

You've got it, LS ---- Every forum needs its social thread where members can pull up a chair, relax and talk about whatever.... I'm finishing off my iced coffee, getting ready to switch to a tall glass of iced mint/oolong tea.


I'm sure there are tea afficianados out there who are horrified by the idea of ICED oolong tea --- just as I'm rather nonplussed by those who put MILK in their tea.... It makes a world go 'round, don't it?


Meanwhile, in the RL --- I'm shopping around for a bicycle... made in the USA.... the new ones made in the US are too expensive, so I'm going used. Hope I don't kill myself on it, been 15 years since I've ridden.... :)


Tallyhoo, everyone


!

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:22PM #4
Lonesentinel
Posts: 2,423

Jun 2, 2009 -- 1:12PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:


You've got it, LS ---- Every forum needs its social thread where members can pull up a chair, relax and talk about whatever.... I'm finishing off my iced coffee, getting ready to switch to a tall glass of iced mint/oolong tea.


I'm sure there are tea afficianados out there who are horrified by the idea of ICED oolong tea --- just as I'm rather nonplussed by those who put MILK in their tea.... It makes a world go 'round, don't it?


Meanwhile, in the RL --- I'm shopping around for a bicycle... made in the USA.... the new ones made in the US are too expensive, so I'm going used. Hope I don't kill myself on it, been 15 years since I've ridden.... :)


Tallyhoo, everyone


!





...heh.  If you were interested in a tandem, I might have been able to help you out (maybe).


About 3 years ago, I convinced my wife that we could enjoy one.  It has been ridden maybe 5 hours total since we bought it for $1700...and as you can imagine, that feels like a total waste *frown*

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:24PM #5
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

LOL, LS --- that's another reason why I'm looking for a used bike.... in case I decide I don't enjoy it....then I won't be out too much... Have you considered listing your  tandem on your local Craigslist?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:37PM #6
Stardove
Posts: 15,381

AS, I have never used this site, but my daughter and s-i-l have.  www.freecycle.org


You never know what people want to give away.  Or if you have something you want to give away this is a good site.


My daughter and hubby got a freezer off free cycle.  She has also given things away.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:41PM #7
Lonesentinel
Posts: 2,423

Jun 2, 2009 -- 1:24PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:


LOL, LS --- that's another reason why I'm looking for a used bike.... in case I decide I don't enjoy it....then I won't be out too much... Have you considered listing your  tandem on your local Craigslist?





no.  Me even mentioning it really is just due to having the thought and the annoyance it brings.  I have my doubts that my wife would let me sell it...sorta.  It is simply a symbol of the tug-o-war that is present within my marriage.  I sometimes can become gungho on ideas (biking one of them a few years back), I can become somewhat fanatical about ideas that I decide I want to do or experience. 


For example, I had really wanted to join the tandem bike club and actually go and ride on a day long trip 2 - 3 times a year - this thought really excited me at the time.  This is not what my wife had in mind.  She was thinking more about simply riding around the neighborhood once in a while (an hour on a bike beng more than enough time with that activity).  Our views on it could not have been more different and still it seems that there is no chance for that compromise ( it would not include any full day trips) which leaves me disappointed.


I own a normal bike, but to sell the tandem brings up the worry in my wife that I would not like to spend this time with her (she lives to have my time)...so the only bike riding I do is the occasional ride to & from work.


bleh...sometimes life sucks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:44PM #8
Turtle57
Posts: 4

Hi all!!  I just want to say HI!  I have had really good luck with finding nice bikes and things like that at the Goodwill in our community.  I hate to pay full price for something that I am unsure I will love!!  I learned my lesson after purchasing roller blades....


 


Have a great day all!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 1:54PM #9
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Jun 2, 2009 -- 1:41PM, Lonesentinel wrote:


Jun 2, 2009 -- 1:24PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:


LOL, LS --- that's another reason why I'm looking for a used bike.... in case I decide I don't enjoy it....then I won't be out too much... Have you considered listing your  tandem on your local Craigslist?





no.  Me even mentioning it really is just due to having the thought and the annoyance it brings.  I have my doubts that my wife would let me sell it...sorta.  It is simply a symbol of the tug-o-war that is present within my marriage.  I sometimes can become gungho on ideas (biking one of them a few years back), I can become somewhat fanatical about ideas that I decide I want to do or experience.



Ah.... amazing the grip an object, idea,  or anything else can have on us when it becomes a symbol... LOL....  I know what you mean about getting an idea in your head that simply won't rest until the idea becomes reality. That's kinda how I feel about my desire for a bike... I've been pondering it the last few months but just decided to make it a reality the last week. The plates on my car are expired --- I mean, expired at the point that if a police pulls me over my car will be impounded..... It'll cost nearly $1000 to smog my car before I can get the tags.... I'm kind of in rebellion against the state mode and maybe this will be a good time to  opt for public transportation (which I already do to a limited extent - taking the metrolink to LA).... If I go this route, cycling will increase my boundaries where and when I can go while my car sits in the driveway....


But I'm taking my time in choosing a bike.... I wanna get something right, something I'll enjoy, something I'll actually ride that's suitable for the mostly urban occasionally trail environment for a price I can afford... Lotta criteria .....


Jun 2, 2009 -- 1:41PM, Lonesentinel wrote:


For example, I had really wanted to join the tandem bike club and actually go and ride on a day long trip 2 - 3 times a year - this thought really excited me at the time.  This is not what my wife had in mind.  She was thinking more about simply riding around the neighborhood once in a while (an hour on a bike beng more than enough time with that activity).  Our views on it could not have been more different and still it seems that there is no chance for that compromise ( it would not include any full day trips) which leaves me disappointed.


I own a normal bike, but to sell the tandem brings up the worry in my wife that I would not like to spend this time with her (she lives to have my time)...so the only bike riding I do is the occasional ride to & from work.


bleh...sometimes life sucks.



Let's see.....  Would a Saturday morning ride to your local farmer's market be possible? This way you and your wife will still be able to enjoy the tandem that won't be too taxing for someone who visualized tooling around the neighborhood ...  Leaving you to enjoy longer rides on your own? Every couple will have separate interests at times...you're both two people united as one, not two people fused into one hive mind... :)


Then again.... I'm hardly the expert on keeping a marriage together.... divorced, so don't listen to me... LOL....

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 2:00PM #10
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Jun 2, 2009 -- 1:44PM, Turtle57 wrote:


Hi all!!  I just want to say HI!  I have had really good luck with finding nice bikes and things like that at the Goodwill in our community.  I hate to pay full price for something that I am unsure I will love!!  I learned my lesson after purchasing roller blades....


 


Have a great day all!




Hello turtle, welcome to Beliefnet and welcome to HOT TOPICS! I have a great pair of roller blades... used them quite a bit when I lived by the beach... I never developed the proficiency to skate down the streets.... but a few times a week, I'll skate along the boardwalk for hours.... Loved it.... also had sand to fall into... But I still wearing a lot of scars from banging up my knees and elbows... LOL>.. all before I bought elbow/knee pads and wrist guards.


I moved inland a couple years ago... different culture out here. No one skates, there's no place to skate... and because the only people I've seen out here that ARE skating happen to be teenage kids with their britches slung so low they have to walk and skate with really tiny strides, I'd feel very awkward... hence the bike...


I've started checking around local thrift shops... I suspect my search will last for at least a month before I find something suitable. Hey, great idea! Maybe I can....trade..... my..... K2 rollerblades for a bike, you think?


LOL.... we needed to start a thread about bikes... or other wheeled transportation that ain't nothing to do with cars, didn't we? :)

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 42  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook