Page 42 of 42  •  Prev 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: The Chill-out Café
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2012 - 6:07PM #411
Stardove

Jan 20, 2012 -- 11:27PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jan 20, 2012 -- 2:13PM, Stardove wrote:

The Eagle has landed in our backyard.  Hubby Hank is in picture who did lots of work clearing the space for cover.  Three weeks after buying the Jayco 330RLTS we got her home.  The cover was built and outbuilding wired before parking her.

We have families around here living in trailers like that.

I get my big toy next week; a 1952 Ford 8N tractor. It's going to take me sevearl years, and about $3000, to restore it and then I can sell it for $2000. I'll just have to have $1000 of fun fixing it.

I don't think there will be a contest to see who is having more fun.  Traveling and site seeing verses fixing a tractor... I win. 

Seriously have fun with that Dave.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2012 - 6:08PM #412
mountain_man

Jan 21, 2012 -- 4:23PM, rangerken wrote:

Jan 20, 2012 -- 11:27PM, mountain_man wrote:

I get my big toy next week; a 1952 Ford 8N tractor. It's going to take me sevearl years, and about $3000, to restore it and then I can sell it for $2000. I'll just have to have $1000 of fun fixing it. Cool

Dave, your idea of fun is...er...odd????...

I love fixing things, building things, and that. I also repurpose things. Last week I took some old climbing rope, coiled it flat, used Liquid Nails to glue it together, and had me a nice looking rug for my front porch. I take old fire extinguishers and make bells out of them. I take old sash windows and make tables or wall hangings out of them. I'm about to start on making a basket out of barbed wire. Restoring an old tractor will be fun, a money pit, but fun.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2012 - 6:11PM #413
mountain_man

Jan 21, 2012 -- 6:07PM, Stardove wrote:

I don't think there will be a contest to see who is having more fun.  Traveling and site seeing verses fixing a tractor... I win. 

Seriously have fun with that Dave.

Nah, I win. I get to work outside, watching my llamas, the birds. I'm sure the resident pair of ravens will come watch. They always hang around watching me when I'm working outside. Maybe the local bobcat will wonder by. The thing is, while working on something like this, concentrating on what you're doing, thinking, the whole world is gone and it's just you. Kind of like the Zen of Tractor Repair. Cool

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2012 - 5:31PM #414
rangerken

Years ago...as in lots...I once got up from a deer blind I had spent many hours sitting in, without any deer coming by, and upon turning around saw a mountain lion on a rock ledge, lying down, watching me! I have no idea how long the cat had been there. As soon as it saw me looking at it, it left. I would not have shot it but it had no way of knowing that I'm always predator friendly

I am very happy that at least for a time back then, the cat wasn't inclined to be people-unfriendly.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2012 - 11:59PM #415
mountain_man

Jan 23, 2012 -- 5:31PM, rangerken wrote:

Years ago...as in lots...I once got up from a deer blind I had spent many hours sitting in, without any deer coming by, and upon turning around saw a mountain lion on a rock ledge, lying down, watching me! I have no idea how long the cat had been there. As soon as it saw me looking at it, it left. I would not have shot it but it had no way of knowing that I'm always predator friendly

I am very happy that at least for a time back then, the cat wasn't inclined to be people-unfriendly.

The local bobcat, whose territory I live in, will stroll past me, once 15 feet away, and give me a look that shows it considers me to be beneath it's dignity to be afraid of.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2012 - 10:12PM #416
mountain_man

Well.... after driving 600 miles in one day, I got my tractor home. I should have it running in a year or two. Yell

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 6:43PM #417
rangerken

Jan 24, 2012 -- 10:12PM, mountain_man wrote:

Well.... after driving 600 miles in one day, I got my tractor home. I should have it running in a year or two. Yell

Mountainman, If you can drive that tractor 600 miles it seems like you should be able to get it running again in a little less time than a year. Of course if it's mad at having been driven 600 miles at one time...no doubt on roads with no enjoyable plowing done (tractors like that sort of thing I believe...last time I had a conversation with one it told me just that)...it may keep on springing leaks or leaking springs or doing other nasty, mechanical things just to express its pique.

I suggest you contact a local witch and see about having a spell of anthropomorphism cast on your obviously unhappy machine so you can reason with it.

Ken...in total helpful mode

PS. Now if you were towing the tractor, then it probably is REALLY pissed off at you so you'll need perhaps three, supersized spells...expensive ones too.

PPS. If it's a boy tractor consider getting a girl tractor friend for it and tll it you'll only garage them side by side if it gets 'better'. If you have, however, a girl tractior you are s--t out of luck because they usually don't care that much for boy tractors...something about sharp tail pipes that hurt...whatever..

PPPS. all of the above is why I play with horses, and not tractors!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 9:32PM #418
mountain_man

Jan 25, 2012 -- 6:43PM, rangerken wrote:

Mountainman, If you can drive that tractor 600 miles it seems like you should be able to get it running again in a little less time than a year. Of course if it's mad at having been driven 600 miles at one time...no doubt on roads with no enjoyable plowing done (tractors like that sort of thing I believe...last time I had a conversation with one it told me just that)...it may keep on springing leaks or leaking springs or doing other nasty, mechanical things just to express its pique.

In order to get the tractor to go over 60mph on the freeway, I had to do some adjustments.

I suggest you contact a local witch and see about having a spell of anthropomorphism cast on your obviously unhappy machine so you can reason with it.

Ken...in total helpful mode

The only witch I know is my ex mother in law. She died a month ago.

PS. Now if you were towing the tractor, then it probably is REALLY pissed off at you so you'll need perhaps three, supersized spells...expensive ones too.

She'd rather have put a death spell on me. Something really nasty like being run through a shredder. She was that way.

PPS. If it's a boy tractor consider getting a girl tractor friend for it and tll it you'll only garage them side by side if it gets 'better'. If you have, however, a girl tractior you are s--t out of luck because they usually don't care that much for boy tractors...something about sharp tail pipes that hurt...whatever..

PPPS. all of the above is why I play with horses, and not tractors!

This tractor seems to be a female. It's going to cost me a fortune in upkeep.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 5:13PM #419
rangerken

So the reason you opted for a female tractor is exactly what?????

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 6:33PM #420
mountain_man

Jan 26, 2012 -- 5:13PM, rangerken wrote:

So the reason you opted for a female tractor is exactly what?????

The gelding tractors just get fat and lazy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 42 of 42  •  Prev 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook