Switch to Forum Live View I had not contact...???
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 1:40PM #1
DAH54
Interesting photo here. Just what does it mean to say "I had no contact" clearly it doesn't actually mean no physical contact if this photo is true.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 1:45PM #2
hortonthrockmorton
Wow.

A handshake at a large gathering.

Devastating.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 1:52PM #3
rabello
He's from Chicago.  Chicago politics are dirty--he said so himself.   Emanuel is from Chicago and already has a reputation.   Nothing will come of this.  It was known before the election.  It's just the way politico's do things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 1:53PM #4
DAH54
Devastating? Hardly. But then do words have meaning? Just what does I had "no" contact actually mean? It's been how many days? We now appear to have photographic proof of some contact. The cover up often proves to be more damaging than the act. Would it have been that "bad" to acknowledge that there was contact? We were told "no" contact... Why?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 2:01PM #5
hortonthrockmorton

DAH54 wrote:

Devastating? Hardly. But then do words have meaning? Just what does I had "no" contact actually mean? 

Yes, words have meaning based upon a context.  In the context 'no contact' obviously meant no substantive communication.  Only a moron would think the words "had no contact" meant "I've never been near him nor even shook his hand."

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 2:17PM #6
Fodaoson
Wow!! Anti Obama posters forget common sense! Obama spoke at the Governors conference and I am willing to bet that he shook and with most if not all the Governors. Are you going to ask with I mean I bet that he shook every Governors hands or am I betting that he shook some, most? When Obama a said no contact it was in the context of naming his replacement. Everyone knew on Nov 5 that he would resign his Senate seat so it was not a state secret. A handshake at a conference is not a contact in a communicative sense, It is just good manners .
“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 2:17PM #7
DAH54

hortonthrockmorton wrote:

Only a moron would think the words "had no contact" meant "I've never been near him nor even shook his hand."

So "I had 'no' contact means;

I had some contact.

I have had limited contact.

We have been in the same room.

We have shaken hands.

I have been near him.

It is so nice to know that 'no' no longer has meaning as a quantifier; used with either mass nouns or plural count nouns for indicating a complete or almost complete lack of. That no contact no longer means a complete lack of contact... That no contact actually means some contact...

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 2:28PM #8
KARD9000

DAH54 wrote:

I had some contact.

We have shaken hands.

I have been near him.

It is so nice to know that 'no' no longer has meaning as a quantifier; used with either mass nouns or plural count nouns for indicating a complete or almost complete lack of. That no contact no longer means a complete lack of contact... That no contact actually means some contact...

I'm not following you, DAH54. 

I stopped at a Christmas Party on Friday.  I knew about 20-25 people there.  Some of them, I just know who they are, who they work for, the business they own....you get the idea. I'm sure I've been introduced to them at some point over the years, shook hands and may have even engaged in small talk - briefly - to be polite. This night I was really short on time and mainly stopped to talk to the person throwing the party and to wish them a Merry Christmas.....the others.....I had no contact.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 2:40PM #9
rabello
Nothing much to follow, imo.

Everyone pretty much talks to and shakes hands with people they don't like, don't respect, or don't agree with.   Employees do it all the time with bosses.  Neighbors do it with their neighbors.  Presidents and their envoys do it with enemies (thinking of Rummey shaking Saddam Hussein's hands, after the massacre of the Kurds, even, both of them with a smile so broad you could fit a watermelon wedge into each)

Red Herring.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 2:47PM #10
davelaw40

DAH54 wrote:

I had some contact.

We have shaken hands.

I have been near him.

the context was contact about a Senate replacement-Obama had none ; Rahm had some on his behalf-the current rumor is that Rahm was wired for the Feds-who really knows?

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook