Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Why I believe the death penality is wrong
5 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2009 - 8:52PM #11
karbie
When I was younger I was absolutely opposed to the DP just because an innocent person could be killed. This was way before we had tools like DNA to help clear/convict. I am not against it in any case in which the victim was a child, especially when their death was due to someone who thought a 3 year-old or 2-year old was trying to seduce him. (I can't remember her exact age at the moment but I know that she was small enough that his raping her ruptured her intestines and she was in agony for several days before she died. Her murderer co-signed an appeal by the inmates on Death Row that it was cruel and unusual punishment to keep them locked up with other inmates who were going to die because each death meant their own was closer and it was inflicting mental cruelty on them. This man ADMITTED what he had done and tried to place the blame on the child for seducing him.
  I'm willing to agree that this is hard on these poor people. I think that they should have the choice of staying on Death Row or being released into the general population of inmates until all of their appeals were gone...after all, they technically weren't going to be guilty of murder until all the appeals that the taxpayers were footing the bill  for were exhausted. How many of them would decide that the only thing they had to fear on DR was a quick death instead of what was going to happen to them without that protection? Of course, they can't do that because they have to keep them safe. It just helps to think of it on days when another child has been put through Hell.
  However, I still think that we should wait until DNA has been used to be sure there wasn't an error with the samples sent to different laboratories. Hypnosis, drugs that can allow the inmate to answer questions truthfully--all of the above should be offered to the people on DR to be sure that they are guilty of the crime they are being executed for. In the case of serial killers, I think that asking about a few other missing people would be permissible after the initial case is resolved. The inmates could request psychics, for that matter. (Although I'm sorry for the pain being near all these people would cause them.)
  They wouldn't have to avail themselves of any of that stuff. It's just a way to try and safeguard anyone who is innocent from being put to death. Should the DP be used for rape? How about years of sexually abusing a child or impregnating a child by force? That's why there are sentencing choices for juries to make by either choosing Life without possibility of parole or even Truth in Sentencing so someone imprisoned on a 12-25 year sentence doesn't get out in 5 years for "good behavior" or "overcrowding". I do like the judges who sentence someone to life sentences to be served consecutively for each victim to be sure that person will never be out on the street again.
   For the rape of a child that resulted in said child's death-DP. For years of abusing a child or step child--make sure that they are going to be away for at least 20 years real time. If they need help with alcohol, addiction, finding God, that's fine. But they should have all contact with their victim severed unless that person wishes to contact them. Certainly parental rights to their victims should be severed. 
  So I agree that every means possible should be offered to those on DR, although of course the inmate can refuse them.
  And as for the crowds who were cheering and celebrating Ted Bundy's death--many of them were the friends, parents, and siblings of his victims who couldn't make it inside to witness the executions themselves. In their position I don't know if I would have been cheering or crying, but I would have wanted to be there in memory of the person I had lost at his hands.
  Is the DP a deterrent to other criminals? That's not really why we use it. It's to make sure that this particular person will never harm anyone else again. We could accomplish that with Life without Parole, but in some cases the crimes are so heinous that the DP is the only thing that is appropriate. After all, the victims have already been given it, haven't they?
"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 29, 2009 - 4:39AM #12
Boston

Without this serious punishment, the criminals will just go out of control!

----

Obituaries Online

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2009 - 10:22AM #13
karbie

The death penalty or at least life without parole would have saved the lives of Polly Klaus and so many others who lost their lives to repeat offenders who had just gotten out on parole and killed less then a month later.

Isolating predators from their prey is one of the roles prisons are used for. The death penalty may not be a deterrent for other criminals, but it does insure a convicted killer won't be killing more innocent victims. They should be isolated from the general prison population if they are apt to kill again. (My earlier comment about sticking some of the DR inmates in the general population was aimed at inmates who had sexually assaulted and killed children. Death Row protects THEM from the inmates, not the other way around.)

In fairness, I do think that the cases and evidence from the trials on Death Row shuld be examined a final time before a sentence is carried out to be sure that nothing was overlooked and techniques like DNA sequencing that have come into being or progressed since they were convicted have been used. If they are proven innocent, that's wondeful. If enough evidence has been found for a retrial, great. If the inmates refuse to have any further efforts made to prevent their sentence from being carried out, that is also their choice to make.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook