Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 10:46PM #21
Omarkhayyam
I confess to being unable to understand the issue.

As I understand it these embryos are excess, destined never to be used and eventually to be tossed into large red plastic bag,

They have potential value as research tools.

WTFsdaprblem???
This is OZ? I want back to KS.

What was it? Click your heels together 3 times and say - what??
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 11:03PM #22
solfeggio
richardt -
Religious until reaching the age of reason.  How true, how true.  I, too, was brought up with the 'impure thoughts' rule, and that merely even thinking about sin could seriously harm a person.

Looking back, it all seems so weird, so unreal.   Like a real life Twilight Zone.

OmarK -
I, too, never understood why scientists couldn't use the discarded embryos, since they were going to be dumped anyway.  But, I guess there was some sort of religious idea that because they were 'potential' humans (and thus, by religious reasoning, sacred) they could not be used for science.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 1:29PM #23
IreneAdler
I just can’t see telling a family whose loved one is ill, that because of a religious belief, they cannot expect a cure.  All they can do is stand by and watch as their loved one succumbs to their ailment.  To me, that’s utter cruelty- and using religion to justify same. Not the role of religion in my book.

I sure hope stem cells yield some amazing benefits for mankind. 

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 4:15AM #24
Thaklaar1

solfeggio wrote:

Shi -
Interesting point about some Catholics being very liberal. Several of the women with whom I associate are church-going Catholics who never miss Mass, but they also make very naughty jokes about priests and nuns, etc. and laugh at some of the 'rules' of the church. I asked one woman if she would have to confess to a priest about making such jokes, and she just laughed and said nobody worried about such things anymore.

You've got to remember that being Catholic isn't like being Protestant.  A Protestant that doesn't agree with his preacher finds a new church, no big deal.  Catholics don't have that option.  Every church has (pretty much) the same message, same service, same everything as one on the other side of the world.  And being Catholic has strong cultural connotations, quite apart from the religious strictures.  It's tough to leave, even if you aren't drinking the kool-aid.  I never believed much in common with the Church as a whole, but I was almost thirty before I left.  And I pretty much only did it because I had a kid coming.

I think it's great that stem cell restrictions are loosening.  I pray it's part of a larger trend of a turning away from anti-intellectualism in the centers of power.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 7:00PM #25
Godgirl

solfeggio wrote:

Shi -
Interesting point about some Catholics being very liberal.  Several of the women with whom I associate are church-going Catholics who never miss Mass, but they also make very naughty jokes about priests and nuns, etc. and laugh at some of the 'rules' of the church.  I asked one woman if she would have to confess to a priest about making such jokes, and she just laughed and said nobody worried about such things anymore.

Where the man known as Jesus is concerned - I don't know.  In an effort to learn more about why he is so venerated by religious people, I did a lot of research into biblical history some time ago, and I couldn't find any actual historical reference to such a man at all.  And there is the fact that some of what is attributed to him was first said hundreds of years earlier by Confucious and others.

In any case, I was very pleased to see on the news that President Obama is allowing the scientists to go ahead with stem cell research now.  It is such a promising field, and it can offer hope to so many people with devastating diseases.

Not to get off the subject (whatever the subject is birthcontrol, sex, stemcells?) anyways but what do you mean when you say "some of what is attributed to him (Jesus) was first said hundreds of years earlier by Confucious and others?" Word for word?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook