7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 8:48PM #1
stevegraywolf
Like, Hi and stuff!
Mkay, so I was thinking about communism..the U.S....the cold war..and the 60's.
Stay with me here folks..I'll try to make sense!
Mkay, so many of you will remember the days of the USSR..the threats by them towards us..and us to them.
Remember the training if we were nuked?
Thats right..you there in the back smiling..remember the film is school.."when you see the flash..duck and cover!"
As if hiding under a desk would save ya!
Remember the coverage of Kruschef at the U.N. ?
Banging his shoe on the podium..declaring he would bury us?
So there we were as a nation after WW2..we would do anything at all costs to prevent anyone in our nation from becoming, preachig the virtues of, or otherwise having anything to do with commy philosophy..fast foreward to the sixties....the two some how melded..or at least they seemed to.
Suddenly..community and family was thrown off by young folks...largely due in part to questions about the validity of the war in "Nam".
Young folks were sent to die..for what they asked...something we cannot see..and hey, whose to say you cannot think what you want to?
So therein lies my point....those questions were good ones....very good..
The answers however....confused minds..with questions we werent supposed to ask.
So then..here are some examples of what I am trying to say..ahem...
The Gov't said this...
We believe in freedom of speech..unless your a commy pinko.
We think communal beliefs are wrong..unless they are communaly against communism.
we as a collective disavow communism..as a collective..so report to the draft board to fight for individul freedoms..hmmm
those are a few examples...
The young folks said this...
We dont believe in stifled thought..so were gonna all protest with the same mentality against you..this is a non-communal country afterall.
You are forcing us to go fight..we dont wanna..our friends are over there..we miss them and hate what youre doing to them..so to show this..were gonna go spit on them and call them names when they come home.
Money and power is facism..oh yeah..dad..please send more money..we got a road trip coming up....tuition is due...pay for it Ok?
Religeon is bad! Oh yeah..I'm going to a Hindu retreat to get spiritual!....ohmmmmmmm.....
Geeezz folks..have we always been this contrary?
Things dont really change it would seem.....and on it goes.

Steve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 11:31PM #2
stitch813
As long as there are warmongering leaders who live to send other people's kids to die there will be protesters being called unAmerican or losers or libs, defeatocrats.  As long as there is a kid out there that needs health care , libs will be called commies for trying to provide it.

As long as we have presidents who claim executive power to pretend they are king,  commie defeatocrats will call them NAZIS.  You know seperating the electorate, spying on them, putting them in secret prisons, renditioning them from their lives, torturing them, scaring them to death so that they climb under those desks and say whatever you have to do to keep US safe.  The only thing missing in the current story is the gas chambers, so I guess we should consider ourselves lucky.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 2:05AM #3
doxieman122
I'm going to admit, SGW, that was a little disjointed.

Not sure if you're saying the world's problems always come back in circularity, a la "We Didn't Start the Fire" or the historical works of Neil Strauss and Bill Howe; or that you think the '00s will stimulate a second generation of liberal idealists a la the '60s.

I'll agree with you on the former, but strongly disagree with you on the latter.  I may be a liberal, but I am a liberal for very different reasons than the student activists of four decades ago.  Love the music, but there were a lot of flaws in the "turn on, tune in and drop out" generation ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 2:34AM #4
rabello
Easy to say nowadays.  Not so easy back then.   If it wasn't for the "tune in, tune out, turn on" generation, for all their flaws, it wouldn't be ok to "question authority" today.   For all those flaws, we got a strong human rights and peace movement which encompassed minorities, women, gays, children, the environment, animals rights, not to mention that it became ok to wear your hair long and unfixed, skip the makeup and the false eyelashes, wear jeans and tshirt to the restaurant as well as the doctors' office, be vegetarian,  shop at the "co-op" and listen to loud(!) music.

I was too young to participate or form a real opinion, but just old enough to be influenced by the angst of everyone ahead of me.  Today has nothing like the Days of Rage, but today has nothing like The Summer of Love, either.  I do wonder what those from the Reagan era (who came up after the tumult) would have felt/done if they'd lived through seeing on their little snowy b&w tv's black Americans hosed down or chased by dogs in the streets, body bags and body counts from Viet Nam on the same tv's everynight, lived through the assassinations of so beloved leaders and/or civil rights activists, watched blacks try, in real time, to enter the school or board the school bus on the same tv's amid a screeching mob, lived through the Kent State murders.  And that's just naming a few.  I think more than one might have "tuned in, turned on, and dropped out."

But from my child's eye, it seemed to me there was a feeling of hope back then that is missing today.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook