Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Movement to take Jesus off the cross.
3 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2011 - 9:30AM #1
christine3
There is a growing movement to take Jesus off the cross.  Why?  It is gross.  I have emailed Pope Benedict and expressed my feelings that I do not like to see Jesus that way.  No more than I would like to see my father, brother, sister, mother, relatives or friends in that horrible condition.  It is a form of brainwashing that starts at an early age.  People are so used to seeing it that they don't question it.  It is like a fish that doesn't know it is living in water.  Yet, this image does a lot of things to peoples' minds.  Possible things: Sets a precedent for guilt, suffering, helplessness, victimization.  Would you like to see a family member hanging from a cross?  No.  Then why do you tolerate Jesus hanging on a cross?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 10:50PM #2
Sacrificialgoddess

Got a link that makes this "Worth a visit?"  At any rate, many Christians do not portray Jesus on the Cross, and Catholics have a pretty good line of thought behind their portrayal.  www.davidmacd.com/catholic/why_portray_j...

"Gross" doesn't seem to be a very good...esoterical argument.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2011 - 10:48AM #3
christine3

Jul 11, 2011 -- 10:50PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Got a link that makes this "Worth a visit?"  At any rate, many Christians do not portray Jesus on the Cross, and Catholics have a pretty good line of thought behind their portrayal.  www.davidmacd.com/catholic/why_portray_j...

"Gross" doesn't seem to be a very good...esoterical argument.

Thank you for your comment.  Here's the definition of gross. www.thefreedictionary.com/gross  I use #3.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 12:43PM #4
Gumby4jc

In truth, I think more people are offended by "Jesus hanging on a cross" because we don't want to think about why He was there.  Our sins put Him there.  I am thankful that He CHOSE to go there, because I could never fully satisfy my debt to God.  For me, it does not evoke feelings of my guilt, but of God's all surpassing love for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 12:59PM #5
christine3

Aug 16, 2011 -- 12:43PM, Gumby4jc wrote:

In truth, I think more people are offended by "Jesus hanging on a cross" because we don't want to think about why He was there.  Our sins put Him there.  I am thankful that He CHOSE to go there, because I could never fully satisfy my debt to God.  For me, it does not evoke feelings of my guilt, but of God's all surpassing love for me.

I can't agree with you, sorry.  Nobody chooses that, much less "God".  First of all, it sets a precedent for suffering on this planet.  This planet is in need of another paradigm, like, suffering is not okay anymore.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 1:28PM #6
Gumby4jc

It is ok if you do not agree.  Consider this though.  When we focus on the suffering itself, we are pulled down till we can see nothing BUT the pain.  

Child birth is suffering.  The body goes through changes that at best are uncomfortable and painful.  The birth moment itself is horrendously painful.  The miracle on the otherside erases that pain and makes it not worth considering.

When we focus on how God can use our suffering to bring healing to others, we can see the suffering as something more than just pain.  You may not pray, but do not be offended if I pray for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 4:31PM #7
christine3
It is ok if you do not agree.  Consider this though.  When we focus on the suffering itself, we are pulled down till we can see nothing BUT the pain.
At some level, Jesus is affected by your visualizing him on the cross.  You are projecting that image to him.  You must think he wants to relive that memory, along with over a billion people on this planet thinking the same.
Child birth is suffering.  The body goes through changes that at best are uncomfortable and painful.  The birth moment itself is horrendously painful.  The miracle on the otherside erases that pain and makes it not worth considering.
I have birthed a child; have you?  Your telling me about childbirth is like my telling you about something only men can experience.  Why would I even attempt it?  Nothing erases the pain the pain of childbirth; it just stops when the ordeal is over.
You think God uses our suffering to bring healing to others? That is a myth and something you learned.  It is not true.  Yes I am offended that you would pray for me.  Even if I ask you not to, you will because you judge me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 5:34PM #8
Gumby4jc

I am sorry you feel that way, because I judge no one.  I am a screw up with NO right to judge.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 7:45PM #9
christine3

Aug 16, 2011 -- 5:34PM, Gumby4jc wrote:

I am sorry you feel that way, because I judge no one.  I am a screw up with NO right to judge.

Okay, accepted.  No hard feelings, okay?  Okay.  I hope okay.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2011 - 8:22PM #10
Gumby4jc

All is well.  No hard feelings at all.  I can only guess what you may have faced from those who claim to be Christians but have no true love in their heart.  I can respect you without agreeing with you.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook