Switch to Forum Live View Things we can (should) do... for the world!
4 years ago  ::  May 25, 2010 - 4:13PM #1
Ceren

Assalamu `alaykum,

As many people say... "being Muslim is a way of life". Our values should transpire into every area of our lives and into every little thing we do. Thus, I thought we could just write practical Islamic things that we should try ncorporate in our daily lives.

Here are some...

a) Transportation:  use public transportation, biking, walking, rollerblading, etc. whenever you can. If you need to use a car from time to time (e.g. once a week for big groceries) you can become a member of a car sharing service. Here's a list of car sharing companies: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_carsharing...

If you must buy a car, buy it based on fuel economy and emissions, NOT on how "cool" it will make you look, or how prestigious it is! Also... if you have a car, volunteer for carpooling services :)

b) Food: Limit your animal products consumption (including meat, etc.) to the bare minimum. Producing 1 g of animal protein (esp. with current farming practices) pollutes a lot more and uses a lot more environmental resources than producing 1 g of vegetable protein.

In addition, most of the meat that's sold in supermarkets (halal or not) is produced in a very immoral way. Animals are raised confined in small spaces, with no access to light or the outdoors, they're not allowed to roam free like they should. Many farms brand the cattle with a hot iron. Animals are routinely castrated with no anesthesia, nothing.  :( Also, when they're transported to the slaughterhouses, they're shoved in a truck with no water or food, unable to move. Many actually die during transportation.The same thing happens with chickens and with eggs. There may be some small local farms near your city that produce ethical meat.

There is a small local farm close to my city that sells good eggs. The hens (and chicken) are free to roam around as they please, their beaks are not cut, their wings are not broken.  I have not found any farm that raises cattle or chicken in a way I feel comfortable with so I haven't eaten meat in a longgg time. Same thing with fish. Farmed fish is just horribly polluting, and there are only very few fisheries that practice sustainable fishing... so no fish for me :(

Do not throw food away and do not overeat.

c) Grocery bags: Get fabric bags for your groceries so you don't have to get plastic bags every time. You can even make your own (or buy) produce bags so you don't even have to use bags for produce! Some are actually cheap to buy: www.grassrootsstore.com/reuseablemeshpro...

Or you can make them: www.quietfish.com/notebook/?p=1433

Also, if your grocery store is rather far, you might want to buy a shopping cart to carry your groceries. There are fancy ones and cheap ones. Here are fancy ones I like: www.lifestylecart.com/

I also have a cheap one that I bought at a chinese store for $10 :)

d) Bottled water: Down with bottled water! Plastic bottles obviously generate a lot of waste and you can have the same good water right from your tap. If you want to be extra careful, just buy a water filter like Brita.  Buy a steel bottle water and just carry it around :)

e) Volunteer!  There are lots of organizations in need of volunteers, from shelters, to soup kitchens, to retirement homes, etc. A great organization (IMHO) is "Big brothers big sisters", there is a Canadian chapter, a US chapter and other countries as well. In the basic program you are matched with a youth in need of mentoring. It is not only a very needed service but also very rewarding since you are able to establish a one-on-one relationship with the youth and help them through rough patches and beyond.

Also during the spring, there are lots of "clean up" volunteer activities. You can volunteer to clean parks, trails, camping sites, etc.

f) In your neighborhood: Good gestures can be done not only through NGOs but just with your neighbors. Do you have an elderly neighbor? Ask him/her if she needs anything when you go to the grocery store. Do you have a special dish from your culture? On your country's independence day (or during a religious celebration) tell your neighbor that this is a special day for you and wanted to share some of your traditional food. Do you like plants? Buy an extra one and give it to your neighbor.  Are you moving? Print a piece of paper with your name, address and contact numbers and go to your neighbors', introduce yourself and leave them your info.

g) Give blood and, better yet, organize a blood drive! If you go to a mosque that's well attended, you can talk to the mosque's organization and the blood services of your area and organize a blood drive.

h) Learn CPR: CPR/AED courses are taught during a one-day, 4-5 hour workshop.  Knowing how to perform CPR/AED can save someone's life.

Let's hear more suggestions, insha'Allah! If someone knows of good volunteer organizations, please share them with us.

All the best,

Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 2:17PM #2
IDBC

Howdy Ceren

I will only make one comment and hopefully will be able to restrain myself from being naughty.   The suggestions you make are not unique to Islam.  I have heard the same suggestions made by secular humanists-atheists. 

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason And Compassion Guide You Smile

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 9:49PM #3
Ceren

May 27, 2010 -- 2:17PM, IDBC wrote:

Howdy Ceren

I will only make one comment and hopefully will be able to restrain myself from being naughty.   The suggestions you make are not unique to Islam.  I have heard the same suggestions made by secular humanists-atheists. 

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason And Compassion Guide You

Most definitely IDBC!  Anyone can (and should) do them. Lots of people from all kinds of religions and non-religions do it too.

I wrote the thread hoping other people could give concrete, small ideas on how to help the world. BTW you're welcome to suggest some stuff as well :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 29, 2010 - 7:10PM #4
IDBC

Howdy Ceren

May 27, 2010 -- 9:49PM, Ceren wrote:

May 27, 2010 -- 2:17PM, IDBC wrote:

Howdy Ceren

Most definitely IDBC!  Anyone can (and should) do them. Lots of people from all kinds of religions and non-religions do it too.

I wrote the thread hoping other people could give concrete, small ideas on how to help the world. BTW you're welcome to suggest some stuff as well :) 

Don't forget to turn out the lights and appiances in rooms you are not using.  

Don't brush your teeth while you are in the shower. 

Only taking one shower a week will conserve a lot of water.

Use enivormentally friendly-green cleaning products even if they cost twice as much money.

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason And Compassion Guide You

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 29, 2010 - 11:57PM #5
Ceren

May 29, 2010 -- 7:10PM, IDBC wrote:

Use enivormentally friendly-green cleaning products even if they cost twice as much money.

It can actually cost cheaper!  I've started making my own castile liquid soap (which is VERY environmentally friendly) and I've been washing my hair, showering, doing dishes and cleaning the floor with it! I'm even gonna try it on my laundry :)

Let me know if you want some, I'll gladly send some your way :) 

All the best,

Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 31, 2010 - 12:09PM #6
IDBC

Howdy Ceren

May 29, 2010 -- 11:57PM, Ceren wrote:

May 29, 2010 -- 7:10PM, IDBC wrote:

It can actually cost cheaper!  I've started making my own castile liquid soap (which is VERY environmentally friendly) and I've been washing my hair, showering, doing dishes and cleaning the floor with it! I'm even gonna try it on my laundry :)

Let me know if you want some, I'll gladly send some your way :) 

All the best,

Ceren

Well thank you very much for your kind offer.  You sending me your own castile liquid soap would certainly be less expensive than my buying any soap.   

Perhaps a better idea is that you can tell me how I can make castile liguid soap? 

It does appear the cost of buying castile soap is more expensive than buy regular soap. 

All The Best

IDBC

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook