Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
8 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 12:05AM #1
Stefani
Posts: 9

Assalamu Alaikum,


I converted to Islam almost 10 years ago. One of the many things that I found interesting about this deen is how G-d (Allah, swt) is a diety with no partners and how the messengers of G-d are not diefied. As a Christian, I always thought that the reverence for Jesus (Isa, as) was equal to worship. I never understood the rationale for Christmas other than an opportunity to get cool gifts. Besides, not only do we not know the date of birth for Jesus, there is not one mention of him, the apostles or his family celebrating his birth. So, here I am, a Muslim with the same confusion.


My husband really wants our family to partake in the Mawlid festivities this year. I am extremely uncomfortable with it. Not just because I feel that this is wrong on so many levels, but, I find myself thinking of my Muslim brothers and sisters as hypocrites for mocking the Christians who celebrate Christmas yet find it "permissable" to celebrate Mawlid. Really, what is the difference?


I do love the Prophet, saws. He was a special creation for all mankind and I am a beneficiary of the message from Allah, swt, he delivered. But, he was a man- not G-d. When he died, the message still existed. If we are going to celebrate his birth, why not the births of all the other prophets.


This time of year always bugs me because of these questions running through my mind. this year however, I seem to be more troubled than before. I am really troubled by this and I feel as if I am in a deen full of hypocrites. This is not the way I want to view my fellow muslims but this opinion is plagueing me.


Any one care to try to make this make sense because I can't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 2:57AM #2
visio
Posts: 3,743

Feb 27, 2010 -- 12:05AM, Stefani wrote:


Assalamu Alaikum,


I converted to Islam almost 10 years ago. One of the many things that I found interesting about this deen is how G-d (Allah, swt) is a diety with no partners and how the messengers of G-d are not diefied. As a Christian, I always thought that the reverence for Jesus (Isa, as) was equal to worship. I never understood the rationale for Christmas other than an opportunity to get cool gifts. Besides, not only do we not know the date of birth for Jesus, there is not one mention of him, the apostles or his family celebrating his birth. So, here I am, a Muslim with the same confusion.


My husband really wants our family to partake in the Mawlid festivities this year. I am extremely uncomfortable with it. Not just because I feel that this is wrong on so many levels, but, I find myself thinking of my Muslim brothers and sisters as hypocrites for mocking the Christians who celebrate Christmas yet find it "permissable" to celebrate Mawlid. Really, what is the difference?


I do love the Prophet, saws. He was a special creation for all mankind and I am a beneficiary of the message from Allah, swt, he delivered. But, he was a man- not G-d. When he died, the message still existed. If we are going to celebrate his birth, why not the births of all the other prophets.


This time of year always bugs me because of these questions running through my mind. this year however, I seem to be more troubled than before. I am really troubled by this and I feel as if I am in a deen full of hypocrites. This is not the way I want to view my fellow muslims but this opinion is plagueing me.


Any one care to try to make this make sense because I can't.




You're right to have questions about that.   I used to have that coming on and off occassionally, off my head.  It had always been an answer of YES and NO.  In fact this whole birth day business doesn't make sense to me at all.   The community where I am from, never had all this until they learnt how to speak a little English. We never had such things as cakes an dcandle blowing when we were kids.   That I remember quite well.  And sometimes I am amused at what I did for my children when they were kids.  Me and my wife seemed to be the most busiest when that small celebration time came around.  But later on the whole things died itself out.  I suppose for all these there are periods when something we need to take stock and remind ourself what or who we benchmark both our worldly as well as spiritual life, against.  We have our days, and there are also the youngen ones who need guidance.  Knowledge received ought to be given.  That would, hopefully, motivate the lives of all.  At small village levels this celebrations is one of the rare colouring moment when they'll have an opportunity to assemble or have some feasts and opportunity to listen to various talks and recitations of spiritual values. The participation is larger.  I know In modern days we have all the means to do this everyday on TV or even on the net.  For the atmosphere however, nothing can compare with real football match on real ground.  That on TV seem so artificial.   The only setback we frequently observe the mawlid can be abused by some politicians and religious personalities to buldoze whatever their personal agenda.  Too bad.  To me all the activities done on the occassion is nothing more than a social activities for relationship building.  Thats all.  It is one's choice to participat eor not.  If the late Prophet is alive, it is a nothing that matter to him an dto ALLAH, as far as I am concerned.  Be honest to ourselves. Many times I missed my Jumaaah (congregation prayers), but I wouldn't get paranoid over it.  I hope that help you ease a bit.
Walaikum Salaam wrhmtllh
   

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 7:37AM #3
Ceren
Posts: 1,430

Assalamu `alaykum,


As you know, in Islam there are certain things in which there is difference of opinion. The mawlid is one. The generality of scholars of the traditional schools have had the opinion that if the mawlid is free of impermissible acts (e.g. mixed dancing) then it is permissible. Thus once scholars in their own right have pronounced themselves, we can follow their opinion or not, but we can't put it down. Allah knows best and may He reward all for our good intentions. In fact there's a hadith of the prophet that says: 


“When the judge passes judgments after doing his best and was right, he will have two rewards, and if he was wrong, he will have one reward”


So first we need to take a step back and not go crazy and sentimental about the issue.


Now secondly, if there are Muslims who "mock" Christmas, then I would suggest you do not keep the company of those Muslims. The prophet never mocked any religion and the Quran enjoins us to invite others to Islam with the kindest manners. So why would anyone engage in the sinful behavior of mocking Christmas or Christianity... beats me.


Secondly, Muslim scholars have deemed the celebration of Christmas as unlawful not because it is the celebration of the birthday of a prophet, but because Christmas is the celebaration of the birth of a human-god. Jesus is a god for the Christian tradition, which is obviously against the principles of our faith.


Now the prophet told us to love him more than we love our father, our mothers... more than we love ourselves!! It is this love that moves us to send him peace, to ask Allah swt to bless him every time we pray. And it is this love that makes many Muslims around the world want to thank Allah swt for having given us our last prophet, the one who brought the last message, the one that Allah swt chose to "perfect our religion".


Now we could thank Allah swt any day for the prophet being born. In fact, we should thank Allah swt for sending the prophet. However, due to our weakness, our us being busied with the dunya, we don't do it every day. So I would think that at least doing it once per year is better to do it than no time at all. And what better time to thank Allah swt for sending the prophet than around the time of his birth? Mind you, the communities of the pious celebrate "mawlids" many times per year, since any day is good to thank Allah swt for the birth of the prophet saws. So really whether we know when he was born or not is of no consequence to the celebration of his birth.


This is a little bit like celebrating the birthday of... let's say our mothers.  I love my mom, and I thank Allah swt for the birth of my mom so much! I wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for her. Now I should thank Allah swt for my mom every day, but life gets on the way. So I know that at least once per year, I will make a point to make special du`a for my mom. And that day is her birthday :)   Now I certainly don't worship my mom!  Now... why just my mom and not all the other people around me? There would be nothing wrong with celebrating the life of other people around me, but my mom is someone very special TO ME personally. She is MY mom :)


Something similar happens with prophet Mohammad saws. It would actually be very praiseworthy to celebrate the birthdays of all prophet, but prophet Mohammad saws has a very special meaning to us. There were prophets sent to many tribes, like Jesus, Moses, Abraham, etc... but prophet Mohammad saws was sent to ALL HUMANKIND. So he is the prophet that was sent to US, OUR prophet. He is the prophet that was sent the message the WE follow. We are commanded to follow HIS sunnah, not the sunnah of Jesus or Moses. So he has a special place in our hearts. And it is because of this, and because out of love (and NOT worship) that many Muslims celebrate his birth.


Now if you by any chance don't feel comfortable doing it, just don't do it. It shouldn't be this huge deal.  I would also suggest that if you want further information, go to sunnipath: qa.sunnipath.com/ and type "birthday", "mawlid", or "milad" and get information about the permissibility of celebrating the prophet's birth.


And Allah swt knows best.


All the best,


Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 12:46PM #4
Stefani
Posts: 9

Assalamu Alaikum,


I've been to one mawlid in the past 10 years and I found it creepy. It reminded me of the some Christians view Jesus, alyahi salam (BTW- not all all Christians consider Jesus to be G-d). I normally wouldn't go but as I mentioned, my husband is insisting we go as a family.


As you mentioned Ceren, if it bothers me I should stay home. Again, hubby wants us to go as a family. We thank Allah, swt, for the Prophet, saws, everyday in our salah. We ask for special blessings and peace to be upon him just by mentioning his name. But, if I use your rationale, we should be celebrating mother's day and our mother's birthday.


I personally do not want this to influence my daughter. I've been to sunnipath and got a very similar answer to what you gave me. I don't get it and I don't think I ever will because this celebration completely defies logic. I really just need a way to explain this to my husband.


Any ideas?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 9:45AM #5
Ceren
Posts: 1,430

Assalamu `alaykum,


Feb 27, 2010 -- 12:46PM, Stefani wrote:


(BTW- not all all Christians consider Jesus to be G-d).



The only 2 denominations that are not trinitarian are the "unitarians", which constitute a really tiny minority of Christians (and who other christians do not consider christians), and Jehova's witness, who DO NOT celebrate christmas. So really the only people who do not believe in trinity that celebrate christmas is the unitarians, which is a tiiiny proportion. Thus I think it's rather safe to say that christmas is quite a trinitarian celebration.


Mind you, I've heard some scholars say that as long as there's no trinitarian reference, and/or other impermissible elements, a Muslim may participate in christmas celebrations.


Feb 27, 2010 -- 12:46PM, Stefani wrote:

 Again, hubby wants us to go as a family. We thank Allah, swt, for the Prophet, saws, everyday in our salah. We ask for special blessings and peace to be upon him just by mentioning his name. But, if I use your rationale, we should be celebrating mother's day and our mother's birthday.



Well... I think the key is "we should". You "shouldn't" do anything because neither the mawlid, nor mother's day, nor your mother's birthday, are formal acts of ibada. There's no specific ruling regarding them. The general ruling is that praising the prophet, thanking Allah swt for sending him is praiseworthy, celebrating your mother's life is praiseworthy. Now HOW you choose to do that, it's basically up to you (which is one of the beauties of Islam in the sense that it gives us a lot of freedom on how to do certain things). So if you want to celebrate your mom's birthday, or mother's day, you can. And if you don't want to, you can. And if you want to celebrate the mawlid, you can, and if you don't, you don't.


I personally celebrate my mom's birthday, and the birthdays of everyone around me! In fact, I probably take any possible ocassion (and/or "excuse") I can to get together with friends and family and have a meal together and share our lives.


 


Feb 27, 2010 -- 12:46PM, Stefani wrote:

 As you mentioned Ceren, if it bothers me I should stay home.I personally do not want this to influence my daughter. I've been to sunnipath and got a very similar answer to what you gave me. I don't get it and I don't think I ever will because this celebration completely defies logic. I really just need a way to explain this to my husband.



Well this is just beyond the religious and goes to relationships. I guess every relationship is different and how you reconcile things. In my particular case, and due to the relationship I have with my husband, I think if I told him that I don't feel comfortable, that would suffice and I would just not go (or the other way around).  However, you should weight in also that what your husband is doing is not unlawful, it is in fact praiseworthy, so you need to think whether your comfort is more important than compromising and complying with his wishes. And that is something that only you can answer. That is regarding you. Regarding your daughter... he is the father, and has rights over her (as you do too) and again because he's not doing anything unlawful I don't think there are grounds for not letting him take your daughter with him. HOWEVER, this is not how couples should function!


Maybe you can reach a compromise? Maybe you can tell him that you don't feel comfortable taking your daughter, and to give you a year to try to understand and research the subject? So in this year, you commit yourself to read about the rulings on the subject, talking to his imam about it, etc, etc and then after both of you have researched the topic, you can sort of reach an understanding a year from now?  I think that's probably what I would do if I were in your shoes.


All the best,


Ceren


Any ideas?





Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 1:41PM #6
Idbc
Posts: 4,647

Howdy Everybody


I certainly understand that there is a diverisity of belief within the Islam about many, many, many things among Muslims about the details of proper Islamic practice just as there a diverisity among the Christians and Jews.   The bottomline is that that if there is one correct or proper opinion it will not be known which one it is until we are dead.  Because only Allah really knows human beings only have their opinions.  


It is my understanding that the objection or difference of opinion among some Muslim scholars regarding the celebration of Mawlid is that it was not a tradition that was observered during the lifetime of Muhammad.   


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawlid


www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pa...


It is my understanding the word Mawlid is an Arabic word for birthday. 


It is my understand that the Shia celebrate the Mawlid not only of Muhammad but also that of Shia saints.


It is my understanding the there are Sufis who celebrate the Mawlid of Sufi Saints such as  Ahamd al-Badawi.  I am sure that there are Sunni Scholars who have the opinion that while it is proper to celebrate the Mawlid of Muhammad, it is improper to celebrate the Mawlid of Shia and Sufi saints. 


I do not believe that celebrating the Mawlid is "essential" to Islam. 


I think that just because Christians celebrate the Mawlid of of Jesus is no reason not to celebrate the Mawlid of Muhammad. 


What I do not understand is why a person who is a Muslim would feel uncomfortable celebrating the Mawlid of Muhamad. 


Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You Smile


 


 


 


 


 


 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 12:02PM #7
bOB
Posts: 5

I will state opinions of scholars leaving it up to you to decide for yourself.


In a Hadith narrated by Muslim (authentic and true), Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was asked about fasting Mondays (He PBUH often did) and He (PBUH) replied: "It (Monday) is the day I was born and it was the day I was revealed to".


So the Prophet (PBUH) acknowledged that His birthday and the day of His prophecy are reasons for fasting and thanking Allah.  They are so great reasons that we should fast every Monday and not just once a year. Be that as it may, this authentic Hadith is a clear acknowledgement on the part of the Prophet (PBUH) of the importance of His birthday.


As far as celebrating the Prophet's (PBUH) birthday on the 12th of Rabi Al-Awal, there are major differences of opinions:


1-      A group stated that the Prophet (PBUH) and his companions never celebrated on that day and we should follow in their footsteps exactly as they did. This is considered "Bida'ah" and should be avoided. They also state that there is no 100% certainty that the Prophet (PBUH) was even born on the 12th. It is estimation.


2-      Another group accepts some form of celebration based on the Hadith narrated above. This group included (As-Suyuti, Ibn Hajar Al-`Asqalani and Ibn Hajar Al-Haythmi) yet they condemned some of the innovations that took place back then and still take place today.


 Either camp you follow and my intention is not to convince you either way, please remember the following:


1-      Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said that we will not attain Eman until we love Him more than we love ourselves.


2-      Prophet Muhammad (PUBH) also stated that we should not praise him with any language raising his status above that of being a true slave and messenger of Allah.


I ask Allah to fill our hearts with love for Him (SWT) and love for His Prophet (PBUH) and make us those who truly follow the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).


Jazakum Allah Khairan


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 12:55PM #8
Faheem
Posts: 1

>>> Meelad/Moulood-Un-Nabi [SAW] Importance of Rabi ’al-Awwal <<<


 


‘Umar ibn al-Khattab once said to the Prophet [SAW], “I love you more than anything except my soul which is between my two sides.” The Prophet [SAW] replied. “None of you will believe until I am dearer to him than his own soul.” ‘Umar said, “By the One who sent down the Book on you, I love you more than my soul which is between my two sides.” The Prophet [SAW] said, “’Umar, now you have it!” [Bukhari]

All praise is due to Allah who has guided us to follow the Noble Prophet [SAW], the leader of the Messengers; Who has granted us the capacity to remain steadfast on the pillars and essential principles of Deen al-Islam; Who has made it easy for us to follow the footsteps and way of our pious predecessors, to the extent that our hearts have been illuminated with the knowledge of the Shari’ah and the conclusive argument in favour of the evident truth; and Who has kept our internal souls free from the contamination of falsehood.

We praise and thank Him for having blessed us with the light of certainty, and for having granted us strength and courage to continuously hold fast to His strong rope. These favours are all out of His Bounty and Grace. We testify that there is no deity besides Almighty Allah, Who is alone, and has no partner or associates, and that, without doubt, our Beloved Muhammad [SAW] is the Servant and Messenger of Allah, the Leader of those who are first and those who are last. May Allah send His Salaams and Blessings upon him, his Household and Progeny, his Companions and those who follow their path until the Day of Judgement .

Allah says in the Holy Qur’an: “O ye who believe! Fear Allah, and (always) say a word directed to the Right.”

Allah’s Messenger said: “Whoever believes in Allah and the Hereafter should either say what is good, or otherwise remain silent”.

It is every Muslim’s duty to show people the truth in anticipation that they would follow it clearly and evidently and certainly not blindly. For truth is as clear as the sun in broad daylight. This brief introduction is due to what we have been hearing, as far as the celebration of the birthday of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad is concerned. Falsehood is regretabally attributed to such a noble event and mischief is stated as to the illegitimacy of celebrating such an esteemed occasion. Thus leaving ordinary people in a state of confusion not knowing whether they should partake in celebrating the event or otherwise. This is so, since the people who raise objection to the Meelad feel that they are at liberty to fabricate events in Islamic history and the traditions of our Holy Prophet Muhammad [SAW].

Therefore, we felt that it is incumbent upon us, and upon those who possess knowledge of Shari’ah, to clearly explain to the Muslim masses the truth about Meelad [SAW].

IGNORANCE AND LITTLE KNOWLEDGE

The Holy Prophet Muhammad [SAW] said: “Whoever brings forth an innovation into our religion which is not part of it, it is rejected”. The Holy Prophet Muhammad [SAW] also said: “Beware of inventive matters for every invention is an innovation and every innovation is evil”. Those who quote these two Ahadith claim that the word “Kul” which means “EVERY” or “ALL” which is mentioned in the above two Ahadith is used to include everything, i.e. all kinds of innovations or “Bid’ah” without any exception. They conclude therefore, that all innovations are “evil”.

By stating such an ILL-FATED STATEMENT, they have in fact accused the scholars (Ulama) of the Muslim World of committing ‘evil’ innovations, particularly Hadrat Umar [RA] However, they quickly respond and say: No, we did not mean the Companions (Sahaba Ikraam). In reply to that we say, yes, indeed you did so, because you said “EVERY” or “ALL” innovations are “EVIL”.

And you (Wahabbi / “Salafi’s”) have rejected what the Holy Prophet Muhammad [SAW] himself approved, i.e.”Taraweeh Prayers”.

We will now quote before you many actions which were not carried out during the life of Prophet Muhammad [SAW] but were in fact done following his demise by his Companions [RA].

1. THE ISSUE OF COMPILING THE QUR’AN IN ONE BOOK

Hadrat Zaid bin Thabit said: Prophet Muhammad [SAW] had passed away and the Qur’an has not been compiled into one book! In fact, it was Hadrat Umar who told Hadrat Abu Bakr [RA] to collect the Qur’an. Hadrat Abu Bakr was hesitant at first and he actually said, “How could we do something which the Prophet himself never did”. Hadrat Umar replied, “BUT BY ALLAH IT IS A GOOD THING”. Hadrat Zaid then said, “Hadrat Umar [RA] kept coming back and forth until Hadrat Abu Bakr sent after him and assigned him the task of compiling the Qur’an.”
[Bukhari]

2. PROPHET IBRAHIM’S STATION (FOOTPRINT).

Imam Bayhaqi said that Bibi Ayesha [RA] a wife of the Holy Prophet [SAW] said that Prophet Ibrahim’s Station (Footprint) was attached to “KAABA” during the Prophet’s and Abu Bakr’s time. It was not until the time of Hazrat Umar who changed its original position. Ibn Hajar the great Muhaddith said: “None of the companions raised any objection against Hazrat Umar for doing so and he was the first person to cover Prophet Ibrahim’s Station (Footprint) in the state it is now.”


3. THE INTRODUCTION OF THE SECOND AZAAN DURING FRIDAY PRAYER

Imam Baihaqi narrated that Sayyiduna al-Saa’eb bin Zaid said: “The first call (Adhaan) for Friday Prayer commenced when the Imam sat on the Pulpit (Mimbar). This was the practice during the Prophet’s, Hazrat Abu Bakr’s and Hazrat Umar’s time. But when Hazrat Uthman [RA] came, he introduced the second Azaan.”

4. SENDING PRAISE AND SALAAMS UPON THE PROPHET [SAW]

This was first introduced by Hazrat Ali [RA] and he used to teach it to people of his time. Ibn Jabir mentioned that in his book called “Tah’theeb al-Aa’thar” so did Imam Tabari, ibi Assem and Yaqoub bin Shaibah.

5. THE ADDITION MADE BY IBN MASOUD TO TASHA’HUD

Imam Tabari said that ibn Masoud used to read after saying “As Salaam Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuhu”, “As Salaam Alaina Min Rabenna” (Peace be upon us from our Lord).

6. THE INTRODUCTION OF READING “BISMILLAH AL-RAHMAN AL-RAHIM” BEFORE COMMENCING TASHA’HUD.

Bukhari and Muslim both narrated that ibn Umar [RA] use to read “Bimillah al-Rahman al-Rahim” before Tasha’hud.

All the above Companions have in fact introduced innovations which they have deemed beneficial and which were not practised during the life of the Prophet [SAW]. Hence, that these innovations where brought about in acts of worship! What then would you say about these renowned Companions? Are they going to be classified among those who practise “evil” innovations!

As for their (Bin Baz, etc.) other statement which is even worse that the first one, where it is alleged by them that in the religion of Islam there is no such thing as “Good Innovation” or “Bid’ah”. Let us quote the opinion of the most renowned scholars of Islam regarding this issue.

1. Imam al-Hafiz al-Nawawi [RA] said in Vol.6, p.21 in his “Commentary on Sahih al-Bukhari”: “What the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) meant when he said “very” or “all” innovations, is that it is general but restricted, i.e. that most innovations are “evil” but not “all”.” In “Tahdhib al-Asma wal Lugat” Bid’ah is explained as follows: “Bid’ah in Shari’ah is the invention of that which was not there in the period of the Messenger of Allah, and it is divided into two categories Hasanah (or good) and Qabihah (or evil)”.

2. Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani [RA] who explained Sahih al-Bukhari said: “Every action which was not in practice at the Prophet’s time is called or known as Innovation, however, there are those which are classified as ‘Good’ and there are those which are contrary to that”.

3. Imam Abu-Na’im said that he heard Imam Ibrahim al-Junaid say that he heard Imam Shafi’i [RA] say: “The new things that are brought about are two kinds. One kind is that which brought about, inconsistent with something in the Qur’an or the Sunnah or with some Athaar or I’jma. This the category of Bid’ah Dalalah (heretic innovation). The second kind is that which is brought about from good things which are consistent with any of the above”.

4. Imam of Imams Izzuddin Ibn Abd al-Salaam [RA] writes in his book “al-Qawa’aid”: “Bid’ah is divided into Wajib, Haram, Mandub, Makruh and Mabah. And the way to know which category it belongs to, is to examine it together with the laws of Shari’ah. If it falls in with the laws that deal with what is Wajib, then it is Wajib. If with those laws that deal with Haram, then it is Haram. If with the laws dealing with what is Mandub, then it is Mandub. If with the laws dealing with what is Makruh, then it is Makruh. If with the laws dealing with what is Mubah, then it is Mubah”.

Following the examination of the statements of these highly renowned scholars of Islam, we ask: How is it then that what is alleged that the word “Kul” or “every” includes all kinds of innovations or “Bid’ah” regardless? And where in the religion of Islam is it stated that there is no “good Bid’ah” or “good Innovation.” Hence, the Messenger of Allah has said: “Whoever introduces a good innovation into the religion of Islam, will be granted due reward for it and the reward of those who acts upon it without any reduction in their deeds.”

From this hadith we find that every Muslim is entitled to introduce a “good Bid’ah or Innovation” as long as it conforms with the test mentioned earlier, even though the Messenger of Allah did not do it, preach it or practice, in order that he/she could increase the deeds of goodness and rewards.


THE BEGINNING OF THE CELEBRATION OF MEELAD SHAREEF [SAW]

As we all know as matter of fact, that when ever people want to promote and advance their ways, they pave the way to spread their falsehood among the Muslims masses and those who have very limited knowledge by misquoting what the Imams of Islam have stated or written. It is alleged by those people who disagree with Meelad that Imam ibn Kathir stated in his book “al-Bi’dayah Wa Ni’hayah” in Vol.11, p. 172 the following: “It was the Fatimi Government which ruled Egypt from 357-567 who was responsible for the celebration of Meelad”.

We say in reply to the above that after having consulted the above reference we found that it was a sheer lie, for we read that page and we found that the above is but allegations, deceit and dishonesty when quoting the renowned scholars of Islam. However, if they insist on the above, we demand that they produce it before us if there is any truth in what they allege!

Allow me now to quote before you what Imam ibn Kathir [RA] has actually said in the same book “al-Bi’dayah” Vol.13, p. 136: “Sultan Muzaffar used to arrange the celebration of the Meelad Shareef with honour, glory, dignity and grandeur. In this connection he used to organise a magnificent festival”. Then he said in praise of that man: “He was a pure-hearted, brave and wise Aalim (Scholar) and a just ruler, may Allah shower His Mercy upon him and grant him an exalted status.”

Shaykh Abu Khattab ibn Dihyah [RA] also wrote a book for him on the Meelad Shareef entitled “Enlightenment on the Birthday of the Bearer of Good News, the Warner”. For this book Sultan Muzaffar awarded him a gift of one thousand Dinars. He then said: “Every year his expenditure on the Meelad Shareef amounted to three hundred thousand Dinars.”

Examine carefully, dear brother/sister, such praise which has been conferred by ibn Kathir upon that man, where he described him as “a wise Aalim, brave and pure-hearted” and then concluded by saying “may Allah shower his Mercy upon him and grant him an exalted status.” He did not say he was a corrupt or evil, he did not say he was committing “Bid’ah” or deeds which leads a person to be doomed, as it is alleged by those who reject the celebration of Meelad Shareef.

I refer you to that very reference which has been quoted to read further for yourselves what Imam ibn Kathir has added in praise of this Sultan. I would strongly recommend as well that you consult what Imam Zahabi in his book “Biography of the Elites”, Vol. 22, p. 336 has said in description of this Sultan: “Sultan Al-Muzaffar was humble, generous, follower of the Prophet’s way [SAW] and he liked the scholars and narrators of Hadith”.

HISTORY OF THE MEELAD SHAREEF

The beginning of the celebration of the Meelad Shareef in its present form lies with the ruler of Irbil, Sultan Muzaffar whose full name is Abu Said Kukabri ibn Zain al-Din Ali ibn Baktagin, who is counted among the great Sultans and generous leaders. He was responsible for many other noble works as well. Among the many monuments set up by him was the Jami Muzaffari, which he had constructed near Mount Tasiyun.

Ibn Kathir writes about Sultan Muzaffar as follows: “Sultan Muzaffar used to arrange the celebration of the Meelad Shareef with due honour, glory, dignity and grandeur. In this connection, he used to organise a magnificent festival. He was a pure-hearted, brave and wise Alim and a just ruler. May Allah shower His Mercy on him and grant him an exalted status.” Sheikh Abu al-Khattab ibn Dhiyah also wrote a book for him on the Meelad Shareef entitled ‘al-Tanwir fi Mawlid al-Bashir al-Nadhir’ (Enlightenment on the Birthday of the Bearer of Good News, the Warner). For this book Sultan Muzaffar awarded him a gift of one thousand dinars. Sultan Muzaffar remained the ruler until his death, which occurred in 630 A.H. in the city of ‘Akka when he had the Europeans under seige. In short he was a man of piety and noble disposition”.

Sibt ibn al-Jauzi wrote in “Mir’at al-Zaman” that one participant in the Meelad Shareef organised by Sultan Muzaffar states that on the royal table-spread were laid out five hundred prepared goats, ten thousand chickens, one hundred thousand earthen tumblers and thirty thousand baskets of sweet fruits. He further writes that eminent pious Ulama and illustrious Sufis used to attend the Meelad Shareef ceremony held by the Sultan, who used to honour them with robes of distinction and royal favour. For the Sufis there used to be a Mahfil-e-Sama from Zuhr until Fajr, in which the Sultan himself used to participate and derive ecstasy there-from together with the Sufis.

Every year his expenditure on the Meelad Shareef amounted to three hundred thousand dinars. For those coming from outside (the city) he had a special guest house commissioned, where people from all walks of life used to come from different places and without any discrimination of status. The expenditure of that guest house used to be one hundred thousand dinars annually. Similarly, he used to spend two hundred thousand dinars annually to ransom Muslim prisoners-of-war from the Europeans. Also for the maintenance of the two Harams and for providing water along the routes in Hijaz (for pilgrims), he used to spend three thousand dinars annually. These are in addition to the Sadaqat and charity that used to be given secretly.

His wife, Rabi’ah Khatoon Bint Ayyub, the sister of Sultan Nasir Salahuddin narrates that her husband used to wear a garment (Qamis) of coarse cotton costing no more than five dirhams. She says that she once rebuked him for this, upon which he replied that his wearing a five-dirham garment and spending the rest of the money in charity is far better than wearing a costly garment and giving a poor or indigent person mere good wishes.

THE MAWLID IN MAKKAH ACCORDING TO MUSLIM HISTORIANS-CELEBRATION OF THE BIRTHPLACE OF THE PROPHET [SAW]

Makkah, the Mother of cities, may Allah bless and honour her, is the leader of other Islamic cities in the celebration of Mawlid as in other things. In his book Akhbar Makka, Vol. 2, p. 160, the 3rd-century historian of Makkah, al-Azraqi, mentions as one of the many places in Makkah in which the performance of salah is desirable (mustahabb), the house where the Prophet was born (Mawlid al-Nabi). According to him, the house had previously been turned into a mosque by the mother of the caliphs Musa al-Hadi and Harun ar-Rashid.

The Qur’anic scholar al-Naqqash (266-351) mentions the birthplace of the Prophet [SAW] as a place where du’a by noon on Mondays is answered. He is quoted in al-Fasi’s Shifa’ al-gharam Vol. 1, p. 199, and others.

EARLY COMMEMORATION OF THE MAWLID IN MAKKAH

Let us review some of the early sources mentioning public commemoration of the Mawlid in Makkah al-Mukarrama. One is ibn Jubayr’s (540-614) Rihal (“Travels”), wherein he describes his observation of Mawlid:

“This blessed place [the house of the Beloved Prophet] is opened, and all enter to derive blessing from it (mutabarrikeen bihi), on every Monday of the month of Rabi ’al-Awwal; for on that day and in that month was born the Prophet .”

The 7th-century historians Abul Abbas al-’Azafi and his son Abul Qasim al-’Azafi wrote in their ‘Kitab ad-durr al-munazzam’: “Pious pilgrims and prominent travelers testified that, on the day of the Mawlid in Makkah, no activities are undertaken, and nothing is sold or bought, except by the people who are busy visiting his noble birthplace, and rush to it. On this day the Ka’ba is opened and visited.”

The famous 8th-century historian ibn Battuta relates in his Rihla: “On every Friday, after the Jum`uah prayers and on the birthday of the Prophet , the door of the Ka’ba is opened by the head of the Banu Shayba, the doorkeepers of the Ka’ba, and that on the Mawlid, the Shafi’i qadi (head judge) of Makkah, Najmuddin Muhammad ibn al-Imam Muhyuddin al-Tabari, distributes food to the shurafa’ (descendants) of the Prophet and to all the other people of Makkah.”

The following description consolidates eyewitness accounts by three 10th-century authorities: the historian ibn Huhayra from his al-Jami’ al-latif fi fasl makka wa ahliha; al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Haytami from his Kitab al-Mawlid ash-Sharif al-Mu’ azzam, the historian al-Nahrawali from al-i’lam bi-a’lam bayt Allah al-haram. A fourth account by al-Diyarbakri (d. 960) in his Tarikh al-khamis correlates exactly with the following:

“Each year on the 12th of Rabi ’al-Awwal, after the evening prayer, the four Qadis of Makkah (representing the four Sunni Schools) and large groups of people including the scholars (fuqaha’) and notables (fudala’) of Makkah, Shaykhs, zawiya teachers and their students, magistrates (ru’asa’), and scholars (muta’ ammameen) leave the mosque and set out collectively for a visit to the birthplace of the Prophet , shouting out dhikr and tahlil (La ilaha illa Allah).

“The houses on the route are illuminated with numerous lanterns and large candles, and a great many people are out and about. They all wear special clothes and they take their children with them. Having reached the birthplace, inside a special sermon for the occasion of the birthday of the Prophet [SAW] is delivered, mentioning the miracles (karamat) that took place on that occasion. Hereafter, the invocation for the Sultan (i.e. the Caliph), the Amir of Makkah, and the Shafi`i qadi is performed and all pray humbly.”

“Shortly before the night prayer, the whole party returns from the birthplace of the Prophet to the Great Mosque, which is almost overcrowded, and all sit down in rows at the foot of the Maqam Ibrahim. In the Mosque, a preacher first mentions the tahmid (praise) and the tahlil, and once again the invocation for the Sultan, the Amir, and the Shafi’i qadi is performed. After this the call for the night prayer is made, and after the prayer the crowd disperses.”

Similar events are recorded as having taken place in Makkah and Madinah up to the year 1917. Only then did these traditions and practices cease in these two holiest cities, though they are still held in the homes of many Hijazi families, attended by many Muslims who come from around the world. At that time, muqri’een (reciters) of Qur’an and maddaheen (those who praise the Prophet from Egypt, Syria, Pakistan and many other countries visit Makkah and Madinah and participate in these private ceremonies.

Until today in Muslim countries around the globe, government offices, universities and businesses are closed on that day.


VIEWPOINT OF THE IMAMS OF THE MUSLIM UMMAH ON THE CELEBRATION OF MEELAD SHAREEF [SAW]

1. Imam al-Hafiz al-Suyuti [RA] in his famous book “al-Hawii lil-Fatawii” allocated a special chapter on that topic and named it “The Excellence of Objective in Celebrating the Mawlid” where he said: “The question under consideration is what the verdict of the Shari’ah on celebrating the Holy Birthday of the Noble Prophet during the month of Rabi’al-Awwal. From the point of view of Shari’ah is this a praiseworthy action or a blameworthy one? And do those who arrange such celebration receive blessings or not?”

He said: “The reply to this question is that in my view the Meelad Shareef (Celebration of the Birthday of the Noble Prophet is in fact such an occasion of happiness on which people assemble and recite the Holy Qu’ran to the extent that is easy. Then they relate the prophecies concerning the appearance of the Noble Prophet that have been transmitted in Ahadith and Athar, and the miraculous events and signs that took place on his birth. Then food is set before them and according to their desire they partake thereof to satisfaction. This festival of celebrating the birthday of the Noble Prophet is a Bid’ah Hasanah (good innovation) and those arranging it will get blessing, since in such a celebration is found the expression of joy and happiness at the greatness and eminence of the Noble Prophet and his birth.”

(Imam Suyuti [RA] is noted to have seen the Nabi [SAW] over 70 times in a wakening state)

2. Even ibn Tay’miah said in his book “Necessity of the Right Path”, p. 266, 5th line from the bottom of that page, published by Dar al-Hadith, the following: “As far as what people do during the Meelad, either as a rival celebration to that which the Christian do during the time of Christ’s birthday or as an expression of their love and admiration and a sign of praise for the Noble Prophet , Allah will surely reward them for such Ij’tiha.” He then said: “Although Meelad was not practised by (Salaf), they should have done so since there was no objection against it from the Shari’ah point of view.”

And we certainly only celebrate Meelad [SAW] out of love and admiration to the Prophet of all Mankind.

3. Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar [RA] was asked, same reference of Imam Suyuti , about Meelad Shareef. His reply was: “Meelad Shareef is, in fact, and innovation, which was not transmitted from any pious predecessor in the first three centuries. Nevertheless, both acts of virtue as well as acts of abomination are found in it (i.e. sometimes acts of virtue are found therein and sometimes acts of abomination). If in the Meelad Shareef only acts of virtue are done and acts of abomination are abstained from, then the Meelad Shareef is a Bid’ah Hasanah (good innovation), otherwise not.” He then added,“... to do any virtuous act and to observe it annually as means of recollection for any special day on which Allah has bestowed any favour or removed any calamity is a form of showing gratitude to Allah. Gratitude to Allah is expressed through different kinds of Ibaadah (worship) - prostration and standing in prayer, charity and recitation of the Holy Qu’ran. And what is a greater favour from Allah can there be than the appearance of the Prophet of Mercy on this day (i.e. 12th of Rabi’al-Awwal)?”

Some people do not limit it and celebrate the Meelad Shareef on any day of Rabi’al -Awwal. Nay, some people have extended it even more and increased the period to the whole year. According to the latter, the Meelad Shareef [SAW] can be celebrated on any day of the year. The objective here is the same, i.e. to rejoice at and celebrate the Holy Birth of the Noble Prophet [SAW].

4. Imam Abu Bakr Abdullah al-Demashqi [RA] compiled a number of books on the subject and called them “Collection of Traditions on the Birth of the Chosen Prophet”, “The Pure Expression on the Birthday of the Best of Creations” and “The Spring for the Thirsty One on the Birth of the Rightly Guided”.

5. Imam al-Hafiz al-Iraqi [RA] wrote a book and called it “The Pure Spring on the Sublime Birth”.

6. Imam ibn Dahyah wrote a book and called it “Enlightenment on the Birthday of the Bearer of Good News, The Warner”.

7. Imam Mulla Ali Qari [RA] wrote a book and called it “The Quenching Spring on the Birthday of the Prophet”.

8. Imam Shams ul-Din bin Naser al-Dumashqi , said in his book “The Spring for the Thirsty One on the Birth of the Rightly Guided” about the story of Abu Lahab that he will receive a light punishment every Monday for expressing joy at the birth of the Noble Prophet [RA] on that day.

The Imam said the following verse of poetry, the translation of the above is:

If such Kaafir was denounced in the (Qur’an) And perished are his hands, and in the Flames is his eternal abode

It is narrated that every Monday,

His torment is made easy, for his Joy at the Birth of Ahmad

What is the expectation then, of a servant who spent all his life Happy with the Arrival of Ahmad, and died on the Oneness of Allah?

The Beloved Prophet [SAW] was therefore happy with those who praised him because it is Allah’s, and he rewarded them from what Allah’s was providing him by praying for them and giving them gifts. ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya relates that the Beloved Prophet prayed that Allah support Hassan ibn Thabit with ruh al-qudus (the Divine spirit) as long as he would support the Prophet with his poetry. Similarly, the Beloved Prophet rewarded Ka’b ibn Zuhayr’s poem of praise with a robe (burdah).

Hasan ibn Thabit [RA] recited this poetry about the Beloved Prophet [SAW] on the day of his death saying:

I say, and none can find fault with me
But one lost to all sense:
I shall never cease to praise him.
It may be for so doing I shall be forever in Paradise,

With the Chosen One for whose support in that I hope,

And to attain to that day I devote all my efforts.

Recitation of poetry (qasidah / naath) in the Beloved Prophet [SAW] honour is one of the meritorious acts recommended by the Sunna. Thus, we find it is one of the primary means of observing the Mawlid in almost all Muslim nations. Here we cite a few examples from seerah and hadith in which the Beloved Prophet listened to poetry in his praise.

The Beloved Prophet [SAW] uncle al-’Abbas [RA] composed poetry praising the birth of the Prophet [SAW], in which are found the following lines: “When you were born, the earth was shining, and the firmament barely contained your light, and we can pierce through, thanks to that radiance and light and path of guidance.” [Suyuti’s, Husn al-maqsid, ibn Kathir’s Mawlid, ibn Hajar’s Fath al-Bari.]

9. Imam Shams ul-Din ibn al-Jazri [RA], the Imam of Reciters, wrote a book and named it “The Scent of Notification on the Blessed Birthday”.

10. Imam al-Hafiz ibn al-Jawzi [RA], said in the description of Meelad: “Peace and Tranquillity takes over during that year and a good glad tiding to obtain your wish and inspiration.”

11. Imam Abu-Shamah, The Shaykh of al Hafiz al Nawawi [RA], said: “The best of the innovations of our times is what is carried out on the day of corresponding to the birthday of our Beloved Prophet [SAW], where people give out donations, practice what is right, express their joy and happiness, in doing so is surely a sign of love and admiration for the Prophet .”

12. Imam al-Hafiz al-Qastalani [RA], who gave commentary on Sahih Bukhari, said: “May Allah shower his Mercy upon a person who takes the days of the month of Rabi‘al-Awwal, in which the Noble Prophet was born, as days of feast and celebration for doing so is the best cure for the heart of an ailing person.”


Following all of the above, there is yet another false accusation, i.e. THOSE WHO OPPOSE MEELAD SHAREEF CLAIM THAT IF MEELAD WAS PART OF “DEEN”, THEN SURELY THE PROPHET WOULD HAVE DONE IT HIMSELF AND HE WOULD HAVE MADE IT CLEAR FOR THE PEOPLE TO CELEBRATE IT?

THE REPLY IS:

Not everything which the Prophet [SAW] or his Companions [RA] did not do would ultimately make things “Haraam”. Since the Prophet [SAW] himself said: “He who introduces a new good Sunnah in Islam will be rewarded for it ...”

Imam Shafi’i [RA] said: “Anything which enjoys the backing of Shari’ah cannot be an innovation even if the Companions did not practice it, because their abstention from doing something may have been due to a particular reason which was there at that time, or they have left it to something which happens to be better, or perhaps news about a particular them did not reach them all.”

Therefore, whosoever alleges that this thing is Haraam on the basis that the Noble Prophet [SAW] did not practice it, then surely he has alleged something which has no foundation or backing in Shari’ah and thus his allegation is refuted and rejected.

FINALLY

It should be noted that, according to the allegations stated, i.e. That every person who innovates or brings about into action that which the Prophet [SAW] or the Companions did not do, means that this person, has in fact introduced something bad into the religion, will be interpreted that the Prophet did not fulfil “the Deen” for his “Ummah” and the Prophet [SAW] did not convey what was ought to be conveyed to the Muslims! Whoever believes in that is a “Kaafir”.

We say, “We condemn you from your own words, because you have brought and practised so many innovation which the Prophet [SAW] or the Companions never practised nor preached, not even “Salaf” ever did them.”

To name just a few and not all:

1. To gather collectively the Muslims to pray behind one Imam during “Taraweeh Prayers”, at the two Sacred Mosques and other Mosques.

2. Reading the “Du’s” at the conclusion of finishing the recitation of the Holy Qur’an during “Taraweeh Prayers” and “Tahajjud Prayers.”

3. Allocating the 27th night of Ramadaan to recite the whole Quran at the two Sacred Mosques.

4. The Caller for Azaan saying when announcing to the people the commencement of the Taraweeh Prayers the following, “Raise up for Taraweeh Prayers, May Allah reward you.”

5. Claiming that “Taraweeh Prayers or Divinity” is divided into three Parts. Is this a Prophetic saying, or the saying of one of the Companions or of the Four Imams? And many other things such as the formation of the committees for “Enjoying what is Good and Forbidding what is Evil”, establishment of universities, Association for memorisation of the Holy Quran, Offices of Dawah and “Special Week of Masha’yekh.” Hence, we DO NOT raise objections to these things since they are in place for SERVING Islam. Let us add that these things are all “Bid’ah” but we acknowledge that they are “GOOD Bid’ah.”

REFUTATION OF THE FINAL OBJECTION?

It is alleged that since the Birthday of the Prophet [SAW] is the same as his demise, therefore, expressing joy on that day is no better than expressing grieve over his demise and if the religion of Islam was to be applied on the basis of one’s opinion, then we are bound to show grief during this day and not happiness!

I will leave the rebut of such crooked argument to none other than Imam Suyuti [RA] himself, where he said in his famous book “al-Hawaii lil-Fatawii”, p. 193, the following: “The birthday of the Noble Prophet [SAW] is the greatest favour of Allah granted to us, and that his demise is the greatest affliction for us. However, Shari’ah has encouraged us to show gratitude for favours and has taught us to observe patient perserverence, silence and calm in the face of afflictions. The Shari’ah has ordered us to offer “Aqiqa” on the birth of a child which is an expression of happiness and gratitude for favours and has taught us to observe patience, silence and calm in the face of afflictions. But the Shari’ah has not ordered us to sacrifice an animal on the death of someone nor to do such action. On the contrary, it has prohibited wailing and lamentation. Thus, the laws of Shari’ah indicate that to exhibit happiness in this Holy month in connection with the birth of the Noble Prophet [SAW], is better than showing grief at his demise.”

Similarly, the Beloved Prophet [SAW] slaughtered an ‘aqiqa on his own behalf, 40 years after his birth, though one had been slaughtered by his grandfather when he was born. This is a firm evidence from the Sunna for increasing acts of worship and remembrance of his birth, for the ‘aqiqa is an act of worship associated with a birth.

Thus, commemoration of the Beloved Prophet [SAW] birthday by any form of worship, starting with fasting, was derived analogously by the great scholars of jurisprudence, who concluded that all forms of worship according to the Qur’an and Sunna are meritorious to perform on that day. This includes recitation of Qur’an, loudly or quietly, individually or in congregation, praising the Beloved Prophet [SAW] - amongst the most meritorious forms of worship, feeding people, charity and remembering Allah.

Allah’s injunction stands unceasingly;

“Verily, Allah and His angels are praying on the Prophet. O believers, pray on him.” [Q33: 56]

This clear order to praise the Beloved Prophet [SAW] includes remembering who the Prophet was and what he did. By analogy (qiyas), any worship increased on Monday or on the day of the Beloved Prophet [SAW] birth, is acceptable and meritorious. Thus, sitting in commemoration of the Prophet [SAW] –– BY REMEMBERING HIS SEERAH, PRAISING HIM, OFFERING FOOD TO PEOPLE, GIVING DONATIONS TO THE POOR––are all forms of worship in the commemoration of the Beloved Prophet [SAW] birth, whether it be every Monday, every month or every year, or even every day of the year.

CONCLUSION

The Noble Prophet [SAW] foretold about the coming of such people in the Hadith narrated by “Abu Yaa’li” on the authority of “Huzaifah” who said:

The Noble Prophet [SAW] said: “What I fear most for you, is a man who reads the Qur’an until such time when the blessing of Qur’an is reflected on him and he takes Islam as his Cloak ... he then turns around and strips himself off from Islam and then tosses it away behind his back, then he heads quickly towards his neighbour with his sword unsheathed and he calls him a ‘Mushrik’” I said: “O, Prophet of Allah! Who is more worthy of being called a Mushrik the one being attacked or the attacker.” He replied, “It is indeed the attacker.”

The Noble Prophet [SAW] has himself indicated the excellence of this great month and day in reply to a questioner. When the questioner wanted to find out about fasting on Mondays, the Noble Prophet [SAW] replied: “That is the day on which I was BORN.”

Regarding praise of the Prophet [SAW] and other subjects, we would like to share here what Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab declared in ‘muallafat ash-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab, al-rasail ash-shakhsiyya’, published by the Islamic University of Muhammad ibn Saud, on the occasion of “Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab Week”, 1980. Shaykh Muhammad ibn `Abd al-Wahhab, Shaykh-an-Najdi (Also, the title which was given to Shaytaan), Shaykh al-Islam of “Salafis”/ Wahhabis, and Imam of the Two Cities (Riyadh and Dar`iyya)

“I was never against Tawassul (Intercession) nor against praising the Prophet [SAW], nor against Dalail al-khairat [a book of prayers on the Prophet (SAW) ], but all these I accept. I never said I reject the four schools and that I claim Ijtihad and that I am exempt from taqlid [obligation to follow one of the schools of fiqh], and I do not say ‘differences among the ulama are a curse’ and I do not call kaafir those who seek Tawassul through the pious / auliyah, and I don’t call al-Busiri, who wrote ‘al-mudariyya’ and ‘al-burdah’, kaafir for saying, ‘O Most honoured of creation,’ and I never forbade the visit of the Beloved tomb, and I never said, ‘burn Dalail al-khairat’ and ‘Rawd al-rayyahin’ [books of praise of the Prophet (SAW)], and I never said that ibn al-Farid [RA] and Muhiy uddin ibn Arabi [RA] are kaafirs.”

So, as Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab, student of ibn Taymiyya [RA], did not reject all of these things, why do some contemporary scholars globally reject them today? This is an unambiguous article published by a Saudi Arabian University on the occasion of Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab Week, 1980. In fact, we must ask: if Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab has a special week to commemorate his life and work, why then is it “wrong” to have one day––the 12th of Rabi’al Awwal -to commemorate the life and work of the Greatest Most Perfect Human Being, Your salvation and Mine, Light and Mercy unto all the worlds, Sayyiddina Muhammad Mustafa [SAW] ? •

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 1:19PM #9
Gallas
Posts: 2

Dear Stefani


You are not alone in questioning the practice.  I have come to take the following view:

  • I am not entirely conformable with the focus of the "festivities" so I will not take part in it.  Like you I cringe at the near-deification of the Prophet (saw)
  • If the purpose of a Mawlid gathering to reflect and learn from the action of the Prophet (saw), then I may attend, though the date itself does not carry a particular meaning.
  • I have been "ostracized" by many in my "cultural" community for holding these views and it does not bother me one bit.
  • I am not throwing fits over other muslims doing things that I do not understand/agree with.  But I am not going to judge them, I just stay away and practice my deen as best I can according to my understanding and learning. 

In the end, live and let live, Allah knows best.


Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 8:32PM #10
Ceren
Posts: 1,430

Mar 4, 2010 -- 1:19PM, Gallas wrote:


I am not entirely conformable with the focus of the "festivities" so I will not take part in it.  Like you I cringe at the near-deification of the Prophet (saw)


But I am not going to judge them, I just stay away and practice my deen as best I can according to my understanding and learning. 




Assalamu `alaykum,


The problem is that you ARE judging when you say "near-deification". If you are a Muslim, you should understand the seriousness of your accusations.


No one is "near-deifying" the prophet (saws). People are mainly saying salawat to the prophet, loving him, praising him. This is something that Allah swt told us to do, it's not out of a hat! And you can ask ANY person present at a mawlid about the prophet and you would not find A SINGLE PERSON who does not understand clearly the concept of tawheed.


The prophet has rights over us, and even if we sent salawat constantly to him, we would still owe him. The prophet himself commanded us to love him more than we love ourselves... so really dedicating a day once per year to celebrate his life seems so little!


All the best,


Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook