5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2009 - 11:04PM #1
Kart

I am a christian, but I want to know more about Islam [and maybe convert], is there any good website{s} that would help me in my quest for knowledge?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2009 - 10:15AM #2
Abdullah.

hi kart Smile

here are a few sites that explains the basics of the islamic religion and I hope they will be of some help to you:

www.islam-guide.com/

www.islamicity.com/mosque/uiatm/un_islam...

www.islamfortoday.com/beliefs.htm

And you can also ask us any question you please and we'd only be too willing to help

All the best

Peace

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2009 - 5:32PM #3
Kart

If I do become a Muslim, is there any downloaded free thing that I could put on my laptop to remind me when to pray, as I am often very busy and can't always look at the clock.

Also, would I be able to pray by myself, as there aren't any Mosques where I live.  Would it be okay if I prayed in english, because I know not any Arabic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2009 - 9:42AM #4
Abdullah.

Oct 8, 2009 -- 5:32PM, Kart wrote:

If I do become a Muslim, is there any downloaded free thing that I could put on my laptop to remind me when to pray, as I am often very busy and can't always look at the clock.

Also, would I be able to pray by myself, as there aren't any Mosques where I live.  Would it be okay if I prayed in english, because I know not any Arabic.

Salaam kart,

MashAllah this is indeed a noble quest and right path you are on; seriously considering becoming a Muslim Smile

I'm sure there are azan [call of prayer] downloads br, also there are azan watches from myadhan.com and alternatively, what you could do is pop into a local Mosque, get a prayer timetable from them, look up the times for each prayer and you could be mindfull of doing the prayers within their set time; there is great reward for being mindfull of prayer times...

And you can read the prayer in english, but you will have to learn the arabic prayer too and once you have learnt that, then you'd have to switch to the arabic, for the formal prayer to be prayed in other languages then arabic is only allowed is such circumstances where a newcomer [who's mother tongue is not arabic] to the religion hasn't learnt the arabic prayer yet

the arabic prayer is quite easy really, especially when one learns it via the translitteration; you can google up 'Quran transliteration' and see if there is one in your preffered language; but when you learn the translitteration, it is verry important to get the pronounciation of the arabic letters, thus after learning the arabic alphabet [any muslim should be able to teach you that] and looking up what letters are used for the prayers in the Salaah [formal prayers] you will have to fit in the exact arabic pronounciation to the prayers...; trust me, it aint that hard at all Smile

Islam my dear br, is indeed the truth from God Allmighty; all the teachings of Islam is irrefutable, coming from an intellectual and sincere angle and the Quran is litterally a miracle; just listen to the superb recitation of the words of ALlah [swt] my dear br, and see for yourself the unmistakeable divine signs in it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrR1qBYbqvU

hope this helps br,

Salaam

ps: yes you can pray by yourself, but it is better to seek out Muslims in your area [if there are any] and try and establish some sort of congregational prayer arrangement where everyone gathers in a house or something to pray, but in the circumstance of their being no mosque near a person, it is perfectly ok to pray on their own...

here is a link that explains how to offer the prayer step by step; it also has translitteration for all the recitation and prayers in the salaah:

www.islamicacademy.org/html/Learn_Now/En...

the above article explains two cycles of prayer [where a person stands in prayer, bows and prostates and then gets up again, completing one cylce and starting the next]; apart from the obligatory prayers of the dawn prayer, which are two rakaats [cylces], the afternoon one, mid-afternoon one and night time obligatory prayers are four rakaats and the sunset one is three rakaats; in these prayers you perform the first two rakaats exactly as it says in that link, but after reading the 'attahiyath' in the sitting position of the second rakaat, one gets up and recites only the Surah Fatihah, and goes to ruku [bowing position] and prostations again [and finishes off the 3 rakkaat of sunset prayer here] and then gets up again and does exactly the same in the forfth rakaat, then finishes off as he would do the two rakaats one

All this may be a little confusing brother, but inshALlah keep at it and soon you will learn it; here are a few more sites that teaches the prayers and practices such as ablutions before the prayer:

www.islamicacademy.org/html/Learn_Now/En...

www.inter-islam.org/Actions/Part1.html

if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask Smile

And know this too my dear br, that if all of this practices of Islam puts you off a bit, or you think that it may be too hard for you, then you can take it easy a bit untill you gradually get used to it all; a Muslim should at least offer all the obligatory duties, otherwise he will be a sinner, but it is better to try and gradually get their [by taking 'baby steps'] rather than not trying to get their at all... 

here is a site that has free Adhan download:

www.islamicfinder.org/athanDownload.php

Salaam

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2009 - 1:32PM #5
RepresentingtheGod

Kart, your best source is the quran, and you might want to avoid any footnotes your first time through.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook