5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 8:26PM #1
sonrisadeallah

Salaam alaikum all,

The other day I asked an aquaintance about why in the mosque people move to a different location to pray sunnah prayers.  He said he did not know, as his family are Shia, and they don't do this.  So I looked into it further, and I think I read that they don't pray extra prayers in the mosque at all based on some hadith where the prophet fears people would take them as fard.  (sorry if I have this wrong).  Anyway, then I read also Shia don't pray Tarawih during Ramadan in congregation at the mosque and this is based on the practice of the prophet.  So I am interested in learning about some of these things.  Does anyone have any book recommendation here?    

Thanks very much,

SDA 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2009 - 8:20PM #2
Faqir

Salam,

You are mistaken in regards to voluntary prayers in the mosque, the Shi'a do them. I have read nothing to the contrary and it was very commonly done in Iran. It is better to be done at home and most of the sunnis agree with this too, but if you are at the mosque you can go ahead and pray them. You are correct about tarawih however. The Shi'a do not pray tarawih in congregation because the Prophet never did so and I was told that one of the Imam's explicitly stated that praying it in congregation was a reprehensible innovation. I believe it was Umar who started the practice. The Maliki's recommend not praying them in congregation as well, although they say it is okay if it will make you more inspired to pray them.

As for a book, I don't know. These are pretty specific questions you are asking and anything that deals with them is probably stupifyingly boring. If you are looking for a non-polemical work dealing with the nuts and bolts of Shi'i Islam I woud recommend Ayatollah Ja'far Sobhani's Doctrines of Shi'i Islam which also deals with certain fiqhi differences between sunnis and shia. Try and get the Iranian print, it is way cheaper. The only problem is that in mine they have the pages in the introduction and foreword all out of order but otherwise it is the same. It actually has a section on the tarawih prayers it looks like, but it is basically as I said above. I vaguely remember that there is some book called something like the jurisprudence of the five schools or something like that which probably addresses fiqh questions in some detail, but I don't know anything about it. Ask any other questions you want; if I don't know the answer I will ask people who will know.

It is hard to believe that Ramadan is just a few weeks away. I wish everyone the best and the most spiritually rewarding experience possible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2009 - 1:52AM #3
sonrisadeallah

Faqir, Thanks very much for the recommendation (and correction).  That looks like the book to buy.  I looked it up on Amazon-wow-$104.  How do you get the Iranian copy? 

So you finally did get your vacation :)  Hope is was good.

SDA

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2009 - 12:05PM #4
QureshiAbbasAli

In His Name

assalam o alaykum

you can order the one from Subhani, 'Doctrines of Shii Islam' and also the 'Five Schools of Islamic Law' by Jawad Mughniyyah from

www.al-khoei.org

the first one is for 10 and the later is for 25 $$. They will ship it out from NY

regards, ali.q

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2009 - 9:41PM #5
Faqir

What Ali recommended is best. That bookstore has the largest collection of books on Shi'ism in english that I know of.

And thanks, yes I did have my vacaction. It didn't go exactly as planned, but it was the most amazing experience of my life. If you ever have the chance to go to Iran, especially if you know people there who will show you around, make sure you go. Getting up everyday and going to work is so depressing after that.

PS - so that you do not blame me later, the book I mentioned is very informative, but is not the most stimulating book ever written either. As well, a lot of it focuses on beliefs, rather than practices, as the title would suggest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 1:45AM #6
sonrisadeallah

Wow, big price difference!!!  I got sucked into other books at that bookstore...I was looking for an English translation of dua's from Imam Ali also...and they have it!   Thanks very much Ali and Faqir for this. 

I am so glad your vacation turned out so well, Faqir.  I hope work gets better for you though!  I really wanted to go to Turkey this year, but for various reasons, settled for a short trip to California...

SDA 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:30AM #7
Faqir

Turkey would be a nice place to visit. I have never been there, but hope one day to go. Actually when I was in Iran people told me that the only country in the area other than Iran worth visiting was Turkey. I hope California was still enjoyable.

If you have not ordered the books yet and you were looking for du'as I most strongly recommend the book titled Supplications, Prayers and Ziyarats. It is a pretty big book and most of the material is translated from the Mafatih al-Jinan which is the most famous Shi'a collection of du'as. It also probably has most if not all the du'as in the book of Imam Ali's du'as. The transliteration is poor, but the translation is okay. It is $40 though.

Oh and as for my work I am moving in a couple months and will have a new job anyhow. I am in the process of buying a place to live right now and am excited to be moving.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2009 - 5:11PM #8
QureshiAbbasAli

'assalam o alaykum

yes, Turkey ought to be a good place to visit as well. 

my wife, visited Turkey, after she had accepted Islam along with another sister, and it was and continues to be one of the most memorable experiences of her travel journeys. i suppose, it explains her affinity with the Turkish Community in New Jersey, where we live

Ali Quli Qarai, is actually working on the translation of the Mifatih al Jinan, which will be a bonus one indeed. he finished a translation of the Quran from Arabic into English a few years back, and is available through Tehrike Tersile Quran (www.koranusa.org). i will find out, how far he is into the translation though, since many individuals have asked for it

on a last note, there is a specific work, which is a translation of all duas from Imam Ali, done by none other than William Chittick. it was originally funded by the Muhammadi Trust of Great Britian, who first sponsored the translation of the duas of Imam Zayn al Abidin, better known as the Psalms of Islam (al Sahifa al Sajadiya). all prints that are available from Ansariyan are copies of this translated work, Alhamdulillah

then William Chittick worked on duas from Imam Ali (dua al Kumayl, Mashlul, Nudba and Sabah). there are two additional duas in the short booklet as well, which runs with the arabic original at the top and the english translation at the bottom (no transliteration). the book cover, is light blue, with this exact titles

Supplications

(Dua'a)

Amir al-muminin

'Ali ibn Abi Talib

'Alayhis-salam (Peace be upon him)

Translated by William Chittick

Ansariyan Publications

Muhammadi Trust also engaged, William Chittick, for further translation of duas, and there was a seperate work that was published out as well. it had the famous dua, known as Dua Jawshan al-Kabir, taught by the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, to imam 'Ali, before the battle of Badar. i have not seen the Chittick translation circulated as such, but it is part and parcel of the Mifatih

regards, ali.q

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook