Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View anyone ever married someone they met online?
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 7:17PM #11
Ceren
[QUOTE=GraceSA;531939]I'm glad you said that.  I was "corrected" on a different thread and told that no one needs to marry for green cards anymore. Ahem.  Well, I'm sure times have changed since I went on the happy husband hunt- but they haven't changed that much.  Definately be careful.[/QUOTE]

Assalamu `alaykum,

Really Grace? I moderate an online cam-channel thing and we have had SO much trouble with brothers, especially Moroccans trying to deceive sisters to marry and come the US we had to ban many. I guess they should be informed that they don't need to marry to get a green card! That would definitely make my job easier :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2008 - 10:20AM #12
Yodalady_AA
Yup, LONG before it iwas the 'thing" to do... But it was not dating, per say,,  Ir was meeting in a chat room and getting to know this guy.. Later meeting him in real time and eventually marrying him,  that was 18 or so years ago...long time. anyway. 

The key was getting to know him as a person...still doing that, . he is rather complex and he thinks funny--but engineers do that.  He is one of the neatest people I have ever known and I am go glad I took the time to get  to know him.

Anna still in love after all these years
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 7:02PM #13
IDBC
I have a brother who met his wife online.  They started chatting together, then talking on the phone.  She went to see him where he was living.   They got married and now have a child who will having his first  birthday soon. 
So far things seem to be going ok. 

However I have a friend who met a  woman on-line, and while they did not get married, she managed to liberate a lot of money out of him, before he figured out she was screwing him in more ways than one.

So be careful, it's a jungle out there!
HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2008 - 12:04PM #14
rhiamom
I met my husband online at a dating site. We emailed for several months, then we talked on the phone, sometimes for hours, for a few more months. Before we finally met he gave me an option to go to a place where he would be but he would be unable to know I was there. I could safely observe him if I chose. We finally met in person in a public place, and I was accompanied by my adult (6', muscular) son.

We have been married for 10 years now, and are still blissfully happy. The secret was that we were honest with each other about our faults and expectations, and we waited until we had been seeing each other in person for over a year before we married. Also, infatuation fades, but friendship and respect last.

I hope you find a person who will bring such happiness and contentment to you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2008 - 10:50PM #15
sannah7
I met my ex husband online, yahoo.  what a disaster!  it was a disaster because we didn't really know one another, we rushed and we got divorced two years later.  i am not going to bad mouth him because he taught me alot about my self and what i wanted out of a marriage and a husband.  i haved since re-married and am very happy but i would never recommend using internet sites unless you are willing to invest serious time getting to know him/her outside of the computer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 2:41AM #16
MorganK
[QUOTE=sarahk269;98390]I'm wondering how successful online dating websites actually are. Anyone have any good success stories they'd like to share?[/QUOTE]

Me and DH met online.
Happily married 4 plus years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 6:01PM #17
Henen
Salaam All,

Maybe, I need to learn something from you all successful spouses here on how you communicate, or to say something right, because it hasn’t worked for me at all in getting a wife on line

I am either accused of quickly rushing into things, up to something, or too slow to ask for something
Women kept asking me if I plan to get green card thru them, I said eventually ‘Yes’. I mean, I can’t come to their country and be able to work without papers.
No shit, these days, Arab men have hard time getting a partner from Western country on line. I have to constantly prove to a prospect that I am not a terrorist in spite of my profile that clearly claims right on top ‘I am not a terrorist’ 
And, why do Western women generally send their photos that were taken 10 years back?

Help

Henen
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2009 - 4:16AM #18
Suze

My husband and I met online 6 years ago. while we lost touch for some time during this period, we met each other again in 2007 and got married last year.

I suppose for us, the intention wasn't "getting a wife/husband". We just met, like other people meet in the library or in the park. we also didn't meet on a dating website, but on a forum of a common interest website. So things, for us, flowed naturally.

Henen, I understand your difficult situation as an Arab man. States are wary if you come alone (scared you might import brides, I suppose) and women are wary if you plan to get your papers through them. Perhaps a dating website is not the right place for you to meet someone. Look out for forums on other, general websites, perhaps Islamic communities or anything that you are interested in. Perhaps that will open up more passages for you to meet the right person. I wish you the best of luck and may Allah (swt) make it easy for you.

Why they send pictures of 10 years back? Perhaps they want to make sure they look young/good enough...?

I believe meeting someone online is a good way of getting to know someone's personality before the infatuation of looks comes along. However, it has its drawbacks. You need to be sure you are both truthful, not making yourself seem better than you are. It takes time and investment, definitely, to get to know someone this way.

The danger with 'rushing' comes offline as much as online.   For my husband and I, it provided the privacy of a one-on-one conversation, without having to meet or be together in the same room and be alone together. It took self-restraint to not go into the lovey-dovey zone, and we limited our speaking time and communication at times because we did not want to get swept up by emotions and lose sight of our mutual goal. It provided an environment for getting to know each other and "grilling" each other about our expectations and what we can offer in marriage. How we plan to be, how we want to raise children, how we feel about countless of topics. For us, making sure our fundamental beliefs were aligned was top priority.

We are very very happily married =)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook