Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Wish there was more action here ...
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 1:54PM #1
Emersonbernard
Wow, I really wish there was more discussion going on here. I'd rather stick my head in here any day than hang around the Christian forums all the time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2011 - 10:32AM #2
indianbasmati

Me too Saint bernard.  Why dont you start writing something

that you liked reading. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2011 - 12:54PM #3
gangajal

Yes, Christians seem to have lots of matters to discuss. I think it would be necessary for some one to ask questions on some matter which can then be discussed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2011 - 2:23PM #4
Emersonbernard

Point taken, amigos.

Lessee ... what can we discuss? Hmmmmm (taps index finger on forehead) ... How about Nisargadatta? What do you think of the book "I Am That"? Personally, I love it ... Vedanta in a nutshell, although, it does require some thought and time to soak into the brain.

How does he compare, in your minds, to Ramana Maharshi?

Rather broad topic, I know. But, there might be fun in seeing where it takes us.

Saint Bernard

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 2:33AM #5
gangajal

I certainly like Nisargadutta's 'I am That' book.

Both Nisargadutta and Ramana Maharshi talk from the point of view of Ajatavada. What I don't understand about Ajatavada is when they say that they are experiencing all is Brahman and that the universe is unreal while they are talking to people. How is that possible? I would have thought that such an experience would only be possible at high consciousness level when it would not be possible to talk with anyone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2011 - 10:34AM #6
Emersonbernard

Jul 2, 2011 -- 2:33AM, gangajal wrote:

I certainly like Nisargadutta's 'I am That' book.

Both Nisargadutta and Ramana Maharshi talk from the point of view of Ajatavada. What I don't understand about Ajatavada is when they say that they are experiencing all is Brahman and that the universe is unreal while they are talking to people. How is that possible? I would have thought that such an experience would only be possible at high consciousness level when it would not be possible to talk with anyone.

I don't know- unless they're able to effortlessly differentiate between relative reality and fundamental reality.

I've always considered Nisagadatta and Ramana Maharshi to be jnanis. Would you agree with this? I must admit, it's difficult to follow them, especially Ramana Maharshi. I certainly understand why Ramakrishna and others said bhakti is the easiest path for people of this age. I've never considered myself much of an emotional personal; I prefer reason. But, I must admit, it takes much thought and effort to break through via jnana.

Nevertheless, I enjoy reading Nisagadatta and Ramana Maharshi a great deal. I have tremendous respect for them both. In fact, I consider my primary teachers to be Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2011 - 2:39PM #7
williejhonlo

I believe the unreal is differentiated by " no endurance " while the real is differentiated by it being a ever constant. Like, what  body can you say that you are? this one, your last one, or your future one's.

In truth, none them are real because you don't have an eternal relationship with them. What is real, is what you have an eternal relationship with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 3:22PM #8
indianbasmati

Hi.

Is it all that easy just to say I AM THAT?

THAT which means divinity, how is it so?

How will the world go on if everyone

thought that he/she is divine?

According to me, we all are a spec

of divinity but not as a whole.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 12:14PM #9
gangajal

I do regard both Nisargadutta and Ramana Maharshi as Jnanis.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 12:21PM #10
gangajal

Yes, Indian Basmati, it is not an easy thing to say,"I am That". It certainly seems that we can only be a speck of Divinity and can not be all. I don't think "I am That" means "I am all".

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook