Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Abhramization of Hindus
6 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2008 - 6:54PM #1
arjun
Are some radical Hindus themselves becoming what they hate the most ? Recently some Hindu groups and individuals have been justifying the suppression of minority rights in India and a few very extreme ones even demanding the expulsion/eradication  of non-Hindus...

I think these folks are unwitengly  morphing into something they hate the most.

When one screams to preserve Hinduism, one must contemplate on as to what aspect of Hiduism is worth preserving, what aspect of Hinduism is worth sacrifising for ..?

Arjun
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2008 - 6:59PM #2
Maya3
Arjun,
Excellent point!

Maya
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 2:02PM #3
gangajal
It seems to me that what we are seeing is the poisonous effect of hindu-muslim politics of the last 100 years, 200 years of industrial scale Christian proselytization and tilting of the Indian state towards minorities. I will discuss all three below.

1. It is a fact that today in vast stretches of the Indian continent (Pakistan and Bangladesh) there are no or very little Hindus left. I see no reason to believe that such catastrophic event would not leave it's mark on Hindu psyche in India. Right now Bangladeshi Hindus are suffering in silence.

2. Then there is the poisonous industrial scale Christian evangelization effort. In 1996, for example, Christian preachers met in Orissa and declared their war cry, "Orissa for Jesus". They declared that they would uproot Hinduism from Orissa and convert all Hindus in Orissa by 2000. We all saw in Kandhmahal the poisonous effect of such an attempt.

3. Indian state has always encouraged minority fundamentalism in India. The federal Govt just the other day kicked out Taslima Nasrin out of India to placate muslim fundamentalists. The Christian Chief minister of Andhra Pradesh has ordered mostly Hindu tax payers to pay for Christian pilgrimage to Palestine. Hindus do not get any support from any govt body in India for their pilgrimage. Can you imagine American tax payers paying for American Hindu pilgrimages to India?

These are the three major reasons why some Hindus are leaning towards extremism.

Gangajal
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 6:56PM #4
arjun
Gangajal,

Your reasons are in general valid. There are more reasons too for Hindu extremism including poverty and exploitation by hate mongering politicians/leaders (such as Bajrang Dal)  from the Right wing too.

However more importantly  what are the solutions...I am more interested in discussing solutions to the issues..

Arjun
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 7:12PM #5
Maya3
I cannot blame anyone for being upset over what has happened.
But I agree with Arjun that finding solutions that helps preserve and promote Hinduism without being disrespectful towards other religions.

Maya
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 7:40PM #6
gangajal
Arjun, Maya,

Let me outline 3 possible approaches:

1.     A large number of Hindus  have to tell these Hindu extremist groups that they should shun violence. Their violence is not helping the Hindu cause. The question is how that can be done? Does any one here know organizations like VHPA? I think VHPA has connections to VHP. A beginning can be made if Hindus living in America tell VHPA to ask VHP/Bajrang Dal etc to use nonviolent methods to redress their grievances.

2. It might also be helpful to contact political parties like the BJP and tell them to put pressure on VHP, Bajrang Dal etc.

3.   I think another approach would be to tell the Indian Ambassador about the need to develop the different tribal regions in India. These regions are dirt poor and have been neglected for the last 60 years. This is the reason why they have been targetted by the missionaries which in turn have attracted Hindu extremist organizations. It is absolutely necessary to reduce poverty in the tribal belts.

Do I believe that these steps would reduce violence to zero? No, I do not because Indian politics today is criminalized. Still I think we should try.

Gangajal
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 6:56PM #7
arjun
Gangajal,

Your reasons are in general valid. There are more reasons too for Hindu extremism including poverty and exploitation by hate mongering politicians/leaders (such as Bajrang Dal)  from the Right wing too.

However more importantly  what are the solutions...I am more interested in discussing solutions to the issues..

Arjun
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 7:12PM #8
Maya3
I cannot blame anyone for being upset over what has happened.
But I agree with Arjun that finding solutions that helps preserve and promote Hinduism without being disrespectful towards other religions.

Maya
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 7:40PM #9
gangajal
Arjun, Maya,

Let me outline 3 possible approaches:

1.     A large number of Hindus  have to tell these Hindu extremist groups that they should shun violence. Their violence is not helping the Hindu cause. The question is how that can be done? Does any one here know organizations like VHPA? I think VHPA has connections to VHP. A beginning can be made if Hindus living in America tell VHPA to ask VHP/Bajrang Dal etc to use nonviolent methods to redress their grievances.

2. It might also be helpful to contact political parties like the BJP and tell them to put pressure on VHP, Bajrang Dal etc.

3.   I think another approach would be to tell the Indian Ambassador about the need to develop the different tribal regions in India. These regions are dirt poor and have been neglected for the last 60 years. This is the reason why they have been targetted by the missionaries which in turn have attracted Hindu extremist organizations. It is absolutely necessary to reduce poverty in the tribal belts.

Do I believe that these steps would reduce violence to zero? No, I do not because Indian politics today is criminalized. Still I think we should try.

Gangajal
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 9:35AM #10
Maya3
Gangajal,
I think all three suggestions are great!

Maya
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook