Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View First Post - Need help please - problem with employer
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2015 - 11:50PM #1
TheVisitor
I work for a small family owned company in the SW United States.  I'm a Buddhist and my employer is a Christian, most of my colleagues are Christians.  As a result I don't openly discuss my beliefs while at work.

The owner of the company sent out a request to every employee in the company to add a favorite Bible scripture to their email signature and to start using them with every email starting next Monday. 

I plan to take PTO on Friday to go speak with an attorney to see if what the employer is doing is even legal.     

But in the meantime it would be EXTREMELY helpful to me if anyone knows any Buddhist teachings or precepts that I can point to that are religious based teachings on why a Buddhist should not promote another religion.  (Christian, Hindu, etc) 

If any one could please help it would be greatly appreciated. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2015 - 1:34AM #2
Bob0

Often we can see the world in them and us views. Christians wll be Christians and they think they are doing good. Don't fight it. Join in. If you are looking for a nice quote I suggest that you can find one in either "Buddha's Little Instruction Book" by Jack Kornfield or "To Shine One Corner of the World" by Shunryu Suzuki. 

Here is one from Suzuki"s book: Buddha says to light up one corner of the world. Just make it clear where you are. 

Now some advice. If you can't be you, free of anger, greed, desire and adversion, then you will suffer. 

Best wishes,

Bob

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2015 - 9:35AM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje

TheVisitor:

These problems are relatively common. So I suggest you discuss the issue on the following boards.
Discuss Proselytizing -- Pros and Cons
Workplace Issues & Spirituality

I have had a boss who compulsively proselytised at work. And while I learned technically in that job--the experience was emotionally bloody awful! Cry But I am pragmatic, and so look at your dilemma for sensible ways out.

"Positive thinking" is a business mantra. And I recall a sales company that was covered in framed epithets exhorting the staff! So I don't see a problem in reading this instruction as a request to uplift the reader with some suitable quote.

But I would look at the nature of the business (operation), and find some exhortation related to that.

Anyhow, if you must say something biblical, then be creative. I recall having somewhere (in a box) a book that I was given wherein His Holiness the Dalai Lama gave reflections on the New Testament. Or you might look at the Gospel of Thomas, which is meditative. Innocent I'm sure that I have that somewhere in a box too. Sealed

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook