Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View THE LAST INCARNATION OF A DALI LAMA?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2015 - 6:36PM #1
TRUECHRISTIAN

I have heard that the present Dali Lama is considering not re-incarnate. 

It is because the Chinese Communist are occupying Tibet and will select the 15th Dali Lama. 

Questions, comments, considerations?

I could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2015 - 9:09PM #2
etoro

The only way to know the Dali Lama's thoughts is to study his teachings both written and verbal.  Its worthless to speculate upon your own ideas and notions. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2015 - 9:28PM #3
TRUECHRISTIAN

Apr 26, 2015 -- 9:09PM, etoro wrote:

The only way to know the Dali Lama's thoughts is to study his teachings both written and verbal.  Its worthless to speculate upon your own ideas and notions. 

First they are not "my" ideas or notions. 

Second, it is the Dali Lama who said he "might" not reincarnate.

www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-dalai-l...

Why the Dalai Lama says reincarnation might not be for him

"There is no guarantee that some stupid Dalai Lama won't come next, who will disgrace himself or herself.-" The Dalai Lama

I could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2015 - 3:48AM #4
Bhakta_glenn

Mar 31, 2015 -- 6:36PM, TRUECHRISTIAN wrote:

I have heard that the present Dali Lama is considering not re-incarnate. 

It is because the Chinese Communist are occupying Tibet and will select the 15th Dali Lama. 

Questions, comments, considerations?

True Christian

According to the Dalai Lama, it is he who has voluntarily brought the institution of the Dalai Lama to an end. 

www.dalailama.com/messages/statement-of-...

Reincarnation

(Translated from the original Tibetan) 
Introduction

The Dalai Lamas have functioned as both the political and spiritual leaders of Tibet for 369 years since 1642. I have now voluntarily brought this to an end, proud and satisfied that we can pursue the kind of democratic system of government flourishing elsewhere in the world.

The term ‘Dalai Lama’ is an honorific title and not a personal name. The personal name of the current Dalai Lama is |Tenzin Gyatso. He is an emanation of the Buddha Avalokiteshvara. He lives in this world as Bodhisattva of infinite compassion.

The Mahayana state of enlightenment is a supramundane mental state of 'transcendental wisdom and compassion’. It is important to understand that this level of understanding is that of a supramundane Buddha and not a worldly human being. In Mahayana Buddhism, the worldly human being has to potential to become a Buddha because he or she has 'Buddha-nature’.

The notion is that on the point of realising enlightenment one simultaneously understands 'universal dukkha (suffering), whilst a selfless compassion arises. The reason why a worldly human being does not know this very advanced level of supramundane compassion is because his or her mental vision is obscured by ego, personality. Thus any compassion know to the worldly human being is limited by particularism, liking this and lumping that. Whereas an enlightened person has no such discrimination when offering help to those who are suffering, and will minister to the suffering of friend and foe alike, a little like the good Samaritan in the Bible.

The Tibetan name for Avalokiteshvara is Chenrezig, and this is His mantra:

www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meaning-of-...

Om mani padme hum.

with this mantra, one can not only attain transcendental wisdom and compassion, one may also come to understand the complete Buddhayana:

www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meaning-of-...

The Meaning of the Mantra

There is not a single aspect of the eighty-four thousand sections of the Buddha’s teachings which is not contained in Avalokiteshvara’s six syllable mantra” Om Mani Padme Hum", and as such the qualities of the "mani" are praised again and again in the Sutras and Tantras.... Whether happy or sad, if we take the "mani" as our refuge, Chenrezig will never forsake us, spontaneous devotion will arise in our minds and the Great Vehicle will effortlessly be realized."

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones

In the terminology of Kundalini Yoga, this mantra stimulates the Manipura Chakra and promotes the qualities of insight [vipassana], self-confidence, bliss [Samadhi, aka Tranquility], self-assurance, knowledge, wisdom, and the ability to make correct decisions.

Buddhism is grounded in the Four Noble Truths. There are two kinds of Buddhist Meditation associated with the acquisition of the Four Noble Truths, Tranquility Mediation for the attainment of Samadhi, and Vipassana Meditation for the attainment of Insight, aka as Samatha-Vipassana Meditation. This Mantra from Avalokiteshvara will help a sincere student to obtain this wisdom and insight, Four Noble Truths, and to then achieve the supramundane state of Buddhahood.

According to the Mahayana, all beings have Buddha-nature. It is not necessary for there to be a Dalai Lama to awaken this Buddha-nature, and it is not dependent upon the Chinese Government either. Rather, it is far more pertinent for an aspiring student to seek out a qualified Buddhist Preceptor, Guru. Such a Teacher can teach anyone a bona-fide Path to Enlightenment anywhere in the world, with or without an infrastructure of support from an organised religion.

These Buddhist Terms: Buddha, Enlightenment, Samadhi, Vipassana. Samantha refer to Transcendental States of Mind, and are completely beyond the range of thought for ordinary, worldly human beings, insofar as they represent supramundane mental states known only to those who have gone beyond birth and death. This is why it is very important to seek out a genuinely qualified Buddhist Teacher when beginning a practice of Dharma.

For myself, I would not undertake the task of reciting any mantra without consulting my Buddhist Preceptor first. Potentially, there are hidden dragons in Mantras, as they are 'Words of Power', safe in the hands of the skilful, extremely dangerous in the hands of the ignorant.

Attachment.

If the Dalai Lama has decided to call it a day, then he may well have sound reasons for that. But we still have this mantra and he has left a worldwide infrastructure of qualified Buddhist teachers to give support, teaching and guidance for Buddhist Mantra Yoga. This will not be coming to an end anytime soon. And for this, I offer my respect and my gratitude to Him, the Dalai Lama. For I have benefitted greatly from the help and training of Tibetan Buddhist teachers, over the years.

Thank you for your question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 15, 2015 - 12:30PM #5
TRUECHRISTIAN

So if I understand you correctly it will make no difference to you or to other Tibetean Buddhist IF Tenzin Gyatso does not incarnate into another body.      That is will make no difference if there is no more "Dali Lama",  that it will not matter f there is no longer a emanation of the Buddha Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva of infinite compassion.

Because there will be still the doctrines, and dogmas and mantra of this particular sect, school of Buddhism.  

I could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 15, 2015 - 6:16PM #6
Bhakta_glenn

True Christian

Thank you for your post.

The Dalai Lama himself now thinks that it is time for him to voluntarily bring the Institution of the Dalai Lama to an end.

If you have any further questions about that, perhaps you ought to write to the office of the Dalai Lama, who will be able to give you an accurate account of his reasons.

As for me, I am just a little person who has benefitted greatly from the Teachings of the Dalai Lama, and I offer my gratitude to him.

May I also offer you the advice that if you are sincerely interested in Tibetan Buddhism, then a letter to the Office of the Dalai Lama would be of great assistance to you. It is traditional in Buddhism for an aspiring student to make a formal request for Dharma from a qualified source. Even though the Dalai Lama has decided to voluntarily bring the insitution of the Dalai Lama to an end. As a qualified Buddhist Monk, he may well be able to assist you in any such sincere investigation into Buddhism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 16, 2015 - 3:55AM #7
Bhakta_glenn

May 15, 2015 -- 12:30PM, TRUECHRISTIAN wrote:

So if I understand you correctly it will make no difference to you or to other Tibetean Buddhist IF Tenzin Gyatso does not incarnate into another body.      That is will make no difference if there is no more "Dali Lama",  that it will not matter f there is no longer a emanation of the Buddha Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva of infinite compassion.

Because there will be still the doctrines, and dogmas and mantra of this particular sect, school of Buddhism.  

True Christian

Thank you for your posts.

There is far more to this than either you or I understand. The Dalai Lamas have never “Reincarnated” they are all "Emanations of Avalokiteshvara". In the universal sense, Avalokiteshvara is a "universal manifestation of compassion".

Therefore, with respect, I suggest you really do contact the office of the Dalai Lama for further information on this very advanced subject.

By the way, I never said anything quite so flippant as "It will not matter if the insitution of the Dalai Lama is terminated. This what I posted:

Attachment.

If the Dalai Lama has decided to call it a day, then he may well have sound reasons for that. But we still have this mantra and he has left a worldwide infrastructure of qualified Buddhist teachers to give support, teaching and guidance for Buddhist Mantra Yoga. This will not be coming to an end anytime soon. And for this, I offer my respect and my gratitude to Him, the Dalai Lama. For I have benefitted greatly from the help and training of Tibetan Buddhist teachers, over the years.

My own understanding of what he is saying is that there is no longer a valid reason for there to be any more Dalai Lamas, and that the Tibetan Government in Exile has been transformed into a Democratic Institution.

There is also a vast difference between “Reincarnation” and “Emanation”. If you read the Dalai Lama's article entitled “Reincarnation” you may gain some insight into this. But to really understand it would require several years of training under close and qualified supervision. This is the stuff of Buddhist Yoga.

Attachment: If a person is “attached” to the idea of a Dalai Lama, then yes one would miss him after he has departed. If one realises that Avalokiteshvara never passes away and that the Mantra is still potent, then one would also realise that the Path of Enlightenment it leads to is still open.

If one also realises that the present Dalai Lama set up Buddhist shrines all over the world, under the spiritual direction of qualified Preceptors and Spiritual Directors, Gurus, then one would know that the Tibetan Buddhist Faith has evolved, and its continued success is to be expected not its demise, its failure, or its disappearance.

In this way, and in keeping with the Buddhist Yoga Training, one may overcome Attachment to the Dalai Lama, or the insitution of the Dalai Lama, which has now been terminated by Tenzin Gyatso.

Tenzin Gyatso is an “Emanation” of Avalokiteshvara. As such, he has transcended rebirth, reincarnation.

www.dalailama.com/messages/statement-of-...

As Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo said:

Reincarnation is what happens when someone takes rebirth after the predecessor’s passing away; emanation is when manifestations take place without the source’s passing away.”

Avalokiteshvara is the source of all of the Dalai Lamas, for 369 years.

In the context of the global distribution of Tibetan Buddhism, it would appear to make far more sense to protect them with a new form of Government and Spiritual Leadership which is of a democratic formation, which is in harmony with the democratic governments of the countries where Tibetan Buddhism is now flourishing. At least, this is what I understand of the Dalai Lama's explanation for him terminating the institution of the Dalai Lama.

What I think really matters here is not the perpetuation of anachronistic institutions but the Guardianship, Preservation, and Distribution of the Buddha-Dharma. Tenzin Gyatso has completed the mission of the institution of the Dalai Lama. The Time for its existence has passed. Tibetan Buddhism has entered a new historical period in which it may best be distributed under the guardianship of a Democratic leadership. Again, this is how I understand the Dalai Lama on this subject.

So if I understand you correctly it will make no difference to you or to other Tibetan Buddhist IF Tenzin Gyatso does not incarnate into another body.

Whilst I may speak for myself, I would never practise the conceit of assuming that I may speak for ‘other Tibetan Buddhists’.

Thank you for your post.

May all beings live in peace and harmony.

May all beings be happy. Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8mWj-qfCW8

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook