Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Secular Zen meditation groups?
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2014 - 8:19PM #1
rideronthastorm

Im just wondering if anyone has an opinion on secular Zen meetings at like Unitarian Universalist churches and UNity churches where they use the zen technique and leave out the rituals; The bowing, taking off shoes. and folding your hands right when you walk in etc.......... leave out the chanting and the philosophy and dharma talks?

My only thing is right now, id love to be at my meditation center in Dallas, but they use hard back chairs to sit in and have liekean hour and a half and 2 hour sitting etc. My UU church has like a 30 minute deal so. its alot easier on me as an obese person physically so right now its just the best I can do till i get my surgery and drop some of this weight.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2014 - 7:01AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje

rideronthastorm:

Given your weight problem, why not try walking meditation?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2014 - 7:50PM #3
rideronthastorm

Thats a great idea I might try that thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2014 - 4:36AM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Dear rideronthastorm:

The following article gives an idea.

In Zen Buddhism, kinhin (traditional Chinese: 經行 jīngxíng; Japanese: 経行 kinhin; Vietnamese: kinh-hành), or kyōgyō (教行?), is the walking meditation that is practiced between long periods of the sitting meditation known as zazen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinhin

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook