Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2014 - 8:38AM #1
Bhakta_glenn

Typing in Sanskrit:

Sanskrit Keyboard:

www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/sanskrit_deva...

Digital Sanskrit Buddhist Canon

www.dsbcproject.org/

One may select a Sanskrit Buddhist text in the Romanized Script and copy-type it in the Sanskrit Form, Devanagiri Script, and then compare the results with the actual Sanskrit Scriptures.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2014 - 12:23PM #2
Bhakta_glenn

Free Online Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit

spokensanskrit.de/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2014 - 5:27AM #3
Bhakta_glenn

Whilst this link is from a Yoga website, it does lead to a simple version of the Sanskrit Alphabet:

www.tilakpyle.com/sanskrit_alphabet.htm

And this link is for Sanskrit Numbers:

www.tilakpyle.com/sanskrit_numbers.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2014 - 11:39AM #4
Bhakta_glenn

Jul 7, 2014 -- 8:38AM, Bhakta_glenn wrote:

Typing in Sanskrit:

Sanskrit Keyboard:

Digital Sanskrit Buddhist Canon

www.dsbcproject.org/

One may select a Sanskrit Buddhist text in the Romanized Script and copy-type it in the Sanskrit Form, Devanagiri Script, and then compare the results with the actual Sanskrit Scriptures.

when using the Sanskrit Keyboard, one may test out any words typed in the Devanagiri script by copying and pasting a newly typed Sanskrit word into "Sanscript", an online transliterator:

www.learnsanskrit.org/tools/sanscript

The Sanskrit words are written in the Devanagiri Script. Thus, one sets the left hand panel to the Indian Script Devanagiri. Whilst the right hand panel is set to the Roman Script to IAST - the International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration.

For the Buddhist Lotus Sutra, I found this result:

Transliteration from

www.dsbcproject.org/canon-texts/%E0%A4%A...

सद्धर्मलङ्कावतारसूत्रम्

Pasted first into Notepad and then into Sanscript

सद्धर्मपुण्डरीकसूत्रम् 

Transliteration to

www.dsbcproject.org/canon-texts/romanize...

Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtram

With this result from Sanscript, online Sanskrit Transliterator

saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtram

And for anyone who may be interested in reciteng the Name Remebrance Mantra for this Dharma:

Namas Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtram

One may produce this online transliteration into the Devanagiri Script:

नमस् सद्धर्मपुण्डरीकसूत्रम्

Transliteration is from the Roman IAST Script into the Indian Devanagiri Script.

To use Sanscript, one has to have Sanskrit Fonts installed. However, in Microsoft Windows, if one installs the Hindi Language Pack, the Transliterator will work just fine. In Linux, one may install texlive-sanskrit-fonts.

I have found that the value of these simple, free, online linguistic tools obviates the need for having to learn complex and irrelevant stuff.

Please note: that whilst I have used "Namas Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtram" as an example, in no way do I endorse it as the only real Buddhism, or anything like that. 

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2014 - 12:38PM #5
Bhakta_glenn

Learning Sanskrit:

Learning Sanskrit

vedabase.com/en/sb/1/1

Bhaktivedanta Vedabase

Books » Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam (Bhāgavata Purāṇa) » Canto 1: Creation

SB 1.1: Questions by the Sages

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 1.1.2

SB 1.1.2

Romanized Copy – Roman Script

dharmaḥ projjhita-kaitavo 'tra paramo nirmatsarāṇāḿ satāḿ

vedyaḿ vāstavam atra vastu śivadaḿ tāpa-trayonmūlanam

śrīmad-bhāgavate mahā-muni-kṛte kiḿ vā parair īśvaraḥ

sadyo hṛdy avarudhyate 'tra kṛtibhiḥ śuśrūṣubhis tat-kṣaṇāt

Devanagiri Script

Typed Copy using the Sanskrit Keyboard online

Lexilogos Multilingual Keyboard Sanskrit संस्कृतम ( Sanskritam )

धर्मः प्रोज्झित कैतवो अत्र परमो निर्मत्सरानां सतां ।

वेद्यां वास्तवमत्र वस्तु षिवदं तापत्रयोन्मूलनम् ।

श्रिमद्भगवते महामुनिकृते किं वा परैर् ईश्वरः ।

सद्यो हृद्यवरुध्यते अत्र तृतिभिः शुश्रुषुभिस् तत्क्षनात्

It should be pointed out that whilst the material quoted from the Śrīmad Bhāgavatam has been taken from a work from the International Society of Krishna Concsiousness, that School of Dharma considers the Buddha as an Avatar of Krishna.

www.iskcondesiretree.net/profiles/blogs/...

24 avataars of lord vishnu

23) BUDDHA AVATAR (Incarnation as Buddha) : The twenty-third incarnation of Lord Vishnu was as Lord Buddha. In the Kaliyuga the demons were completely subjugated by the deities. Shukracharya the teacher of the demons instigated the demons to perform Yagya so that they could regain power and authority. Fearing this the deities prayed to Lord Vishnu for help. Lord Vishnu took incarnation as Buddha and dissuaded the demons from performing Yagya as it involves violence the demons stopped performing Yagyas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2014 - 8:45AM #6
etoro

--It should be pointed out that whilst the material quoted from the Śrīmad Bhāgavatam has been taken from a work from the International Society of Krishna Concsiousness, that School of Dharma considers the Buddha as an Avatar of Krishna.---

In this world over thousands of years since the Buddha's passing it is very common to find Buddhist leaders and followers from all walks of life who can not help but interpret Buddhism from the standpoint of their own preconditioning.  The term preconditioning is another word for "manifest effects" or the effects arising from the thoughts, words and deeds performed in the past.  Furthermore the thoughts, words and deeds one has manifested and carried out in the past are also the manifest effects of thoughts, words and deeds one has carried out in a prior serious of actions in prior lifetimes.  Furthermore, this is not to suggest that the human beings who exist in the present are neither the same nor different than the transient entities who performed karmic deeds in the past.  Such understandings refer to the basis of the Buddha's contemplations as he pondered the nature of reality. 

It is because of the extent of this preconditioning that it is very difficult to encounter a teacher of the correct Law (Sad Dharma) who can guide a person in the correct practice of Buddhism.  This is why throughout the course of Buddhist history Buddhist leaders have been interpreting the Buddha's teachings in accordance with their own preconditioned beliefs.  Therefore it is is not surprising for example that the Vedantists or Krishna followers interpreted the Buddha's advent as a manifestation of their Godhead. This has occurred all throughout the history of Buddhism.  

The important thing to bear in mind however is that truely faithful and humble Buddhist followers throughout history have been well aware of this in each generation. This is why when we follow the profound developments in Buddhist history across the first 1,800 years from India to China, Korea and Japan this issue of interpreting Buddhist philosophy from the standpoint of one's own pre-obtained concepts and ideas has been addressed in very rigorous faschion and the philosophy of distinguishing one's expedient beliefs versus the true teaching has unfolded very profound forms of explaination drawing ever finer distinctions each step of the way.

The Lotus Sutra is the total and complete philosophy concerning this and such matters.  This point can not be stressed enough. One must study very vigorously and practice very sincerely to come to appreciate the full measure of this point. Furthermore, this is why it is extremely important in this latter age of Buddhism that one not expediently misinterpret and transmit false teachings concerning the Lotus Sutra or ignore or turn one's back on the true devotees throughout history that have metulously addressed these matters of human nature.

More specifically, the Lotus Sutra is very explicit in expressing the kind of life one will experience and forces that one will confront as one seeks to practice this teaching in the latter age of the dharma as it teaches.  Therefore the correct practice of this sutra is self evident within gthe life of the correct practitioner. The thirteenth chapter makes clear that one will invariably confront the three powerful enemies. This matter will become self evident to the correct practitioner.  In this regard the correct practice is a self evidentiary and need not require the validation of an external teacher per se. 

As one example the following is a diagram of how the teachings of Buddhism were percieved to become diluted over a period of 2,500 years broken up into 5 five hundred year periods.  This teaching is tought in the Great Collection Sutra, a teaching of introductory Mahayana as well as the Nirvana Sutra, a teaching of the Sad (correct) Dharma itself. 

The five five-hundred-year periods described in the Great Collection Sutra are as follows:

First five hundred years

the age of attaining liberation

Second five hundred years

the age of meditation

Third five hundred years

the age of reading, reciting, and listening

Fourth five hundred years

the age of building temples and stupas

Fifth five hundred years

the age of quarrels and disputes

According to this diagram we are living in the last age where quarrels and disputes over the correct teaching (Sad Dharma) will become the norm.  The Lotus Sutra was taught in order to assist people attain actual Buddhahood throughout this period. This is because the Lotus Sutra, accruing to its universal basis, has the power to adopt to the ever changing times and circumstances. 

Best 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2014 - 1:04PM #7
Bhakta_glenn

Etoro,

Thank you for your response, which I have noted.

The International Society of Krishna Consciousness include the Buddha in their Dharma. As such, they have a World View which includes the Buddha. As such, since this board is about Buddhism, their ought be no sound or sane reason why a contributor may not refer to them here on the Buddhist board at Beliefnet.

Rules of Conduct: Beliefnet Forums

Beliefnet members represent a wide variety of religious and spiritual orientations - all welcome to participate in conversations on our Forums. When you participate in Beliefnet discussions, you may encounter persons whose beliefs differ from your own. We hope that you will approach these encounters in a spirit of tolerance, accepting the rights of others to follow freely their own religious beliefs, even if they seem false to you.

Your notion that only Nichiren taught 'Correct Buddhism' is not supported by other Buddhist Schools, either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2014 - 2:40PM #8
Bhakta_glenn

The purpose of my posts was not to argue with Buddhists about who has the one and only true Buddhist Path. It was to show some links to some simple tools for developing an understanding of Sanskrit, which is an ancient Buddhist language. It predates Buddhism and is also the language of the Vedas.

Since it was not my intention to end up debating Buddhism, or even to defend the reasons why I have posted certain things which have proven to be of great value in my Buddhist development and training, under qualified supervison, I shall now retire back to the shadows and continue to practise Tranquillity Meditation, and offer my very best wishes to one and all.

I will leave the following thought:

Whilst God may have nothing to do with Buddhism, there is nothing to stop a Buddhist from giving Metta to God:

www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/singala8.h...

SINGALA SUTTA

(Discourse to Singala)

TEN SUTTAS FROM DIGHA NIKAYA

BURMA PITAKA ASSOCIATION

272. Young householder, in five ways should a man of good family minister to the samanas and brahmanas as the Zenith: by deeds of loving kindness; by words of loving kindness; by thoughts of loving kindness; by keeping the house open to them; by supplying them with material needs (such as alms-food).

Young householder, the samanas and brahmanas, ministered to in these five ways as the Zenith by a man of good family, bring benefit to him in six ways: they restrain him from evil; they exhort him to do good; they protect him with loving kindness; they teach him (the profound matters) that he has not heard before; they explain and make clear to him (the profound matters) which he has heard before; they show him the path to the realm of the devas.

Young householder, in these five ways a man of good family ministers to the samanas and the brahmanas as the Zenith and the samanas and the brahmanas also bring benefit to him in these six ways. It is thus that the Zenith is covered and made safe and secure.

And if I were God, having dealt with Buddhists in denial, I would have nothing to do with Buddhism either.

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2014 - 11:03PM #9
etoro

Well, I was not trying to quarrel with you either.  The point is that Buddhism, like many other religions has had its own history of fracturing along many lines, schools and divisions.  This has been most unfortunate and has created a great deal of confusion and divisions across the world where Buddhism has been practiced. Your own views and practices of Buddhism are an example of that.  I was the person who actually introduced you to the teachings of the Lotus Sutra and provided you with your first sanskrit translation of a Dharani derived from the Lotus Sutra.  This Dharani, one that was practiced by the founder of the Mantra School of Buddhism in China, Shubakarahimsa, included the sanskrit title of the Lotus Sutra just as you wrote it above. Yet you have taken this event and moved in a rather distorted direction with these teachings.

The advent of Nichiren was actually a response to this deep confusion and corruption that had developed over a 1,500 year period after the Buddha's passing in the realm of Buddhist philosophy as it spread from India, to China and Japan. His entire philosophy was to demonstrate and bring about how all people can transcend their differences and misunderstanding by implanting the essential orinciple of the Lotus Sutra within each life.  This is the very mandate of the Lotus Sutra itself.  How it is that you continue to have such a tin ear to such a basic principle is quite unfortunate. 

Truth is this world is a huge place and there are a vast variety of views, beliefs, means and methods in the realm of religious practice. Yet the world of humanity is in a more terrible state than ever. Moroever, we live in a world today where due to the power of advanced telecommunications and transportations systems, people now have access to a cross fertilzation of numerous views and ideas.  Yet this itself could breed even more confusion and uncertainty among people and the possibility of people enjoying a true oneness of mind, a oneness of mind that it demonstrated in their perception, insight, understanding, behavior, actions and values has yet to materialize at the societal level. Perhaps Nichiren's writings itself could help clarify matters for you.

Knowing you for some time now I percieve that you are essentially a self practitioner and have yet to manifest the ability to understand any of these larger societal forces and the power that the essential Mahayana Buddhist principle has to address social forces at this level. It simply is not your karma to understand these matters as yet. Until you get serious about study and practice the actual universal teachings of Nichiren you will probably never understand anything about the Lotus Sutra and the actual sangha of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth that spring forth from its correct teaching.  One day you will understand and remember how much I tried to help you and you will come to appreciate all my efforts to clarify the universal significance of this teaching.  It was always right there under your nose explained in the teaching of the Lotus Sutra, the writings of Nichiren and of course our wonderful living global movement for peace and eternal happiness.  See what sincere Buddhist thinkers are now saying about our SGI movement.  The proof of what I have been saying is now everywhere and catching on more each and every day.  Now is the time for the spread of the Lotus Sutra.

All the best nonetheless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2014 - 10:23AM #10
Bhakta_glenn

Etoro,

Without Prejudice

I find myself asking why are we having this discussion, again.

If I had wanted to post here to argue the merits and demerits of differing Schools of Buddhism, I would have written something to the purpose. But, as the offending post appears to be the one about the Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam (Bhāgavata Purāṇa), I will simply respond like this:

My reason for including this erudite work from a master scholar is not because I wish to interpret Buddhism from my own preconditioning.

My original post is about Learning Sanskrit. The Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam (Bhāgavata Purāṇa) makes the acquisition of Sanskrit easy, for people who speak English, very easy. These books are available all over the Western world, not hard to find.

There are Ten Cantos in Thirty Volumes in the entire work, which is a practice of how to access Dialectics from the practice of Bhakti Yoga: the Yoga of Devotional Service to God. This does not mean developing a servile attitude to God. It means living harmoniously and righteously in human society.

Quite frankly, I could not give a fig about Buddhism or  Theology. At my local Buddhist temple, I have met with people who claim to be Buddhists but have shown a very hateful and spiteful attitude towards me merely because I have been taught differently by qualified Buddhist teachers. It became so bad at one point that my Preceptor had to advise me to stay away and practise on my own. Which I still do.

If I saw one of them in the street, I would merely cross the road to avoid them.

So, you find me confusing and capable of distorting Buddhism. Good luck with that. But whilst you hold those views, please do not try and convince me that you are a Buddhist, even less a Buddhist Teacher.

A Buddhist Teacher does not make comments which deflate another person because he or she knows that is counter productive to Meditation.

The Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam (Bhāgavata Purāṇa) has a world view which includes the Buddha. But as usual, you have skilfully avoided that pertinent information to insult me with your inaccurate remarks about how I am distorting Buddhism.

Do me a favour will you. If you are going to post here with the claim that you are a long-standing Buddhist Scholar, at least show some study skills and include some comparative religion in your posts. Otherwise one may make the mistake of thinking that you are a fundamentaltist who dislikes all other Religions and Schools of Buddhism.

And we both know that this  is not the case, is it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook