Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 16 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
3 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2015 - 1:33PM #151
Karma_yeshe_dorje

G'day Bhakta_glenn:

Teaching ought to be directs by the student’s spiritual needs which have arisen from his karma, not from the Doctrine of a specific religion.

Both my psychologist and an Aspie friend consider that something amiss with my family of origin may have reappeared in later life as problematic!

It is not the Dharma or the world which is cruel, it is people.

I was recently reading of cutthroat party politics here!

We have been practising together for 24 years, and I am still not yet ready for the complex visualisation practices that you have described

I have outstanding visuo-spatial aptitude. But that is not the issue. With me, intellectual head-whizzing can be a problem.

Tehre ought to be mutual trust betweenthem and all doubts have to be elininated, and this takes time to establish.

I have a (case) history of conflicts with authority figures. My current art teacher was praised by my psychologist as being able to cope with me! And also my current laid-back/tradesmen's gun club.

when he has completed the Hinayana, then he may enter into the Mahayana, and when that has been completed he may enter the Vajrayana and begin the complex visualisations practices of Deity Yoga.

That careful progression seems sensible to me. As opposed to "technicians" "taking people off the street" and dumping them into as you say, deity visualisations.

If both the student and the Guru are repectively qualifed for the Dispensation and Reception of Dharma, then there are no dangerous rituals.

I remember reading of a martial arts complaint that modern people didn't want to bother with years of foundation studies. So they jumped into later practices--fundamentally weak because of lack of the groundwork!

But at the end of the day, it is the new student who is responsible for himself.

Unfortunately I have some (medical) perceptual difficulties.

and he or she has to know if he or she can do something, be aware of his own or her own strenghts and weaknesses and not offer themselves up as victims to Shrine Room Bullies.

I am nowadays more careful and life-experienced. So I have been in recent years much better able to sort out problems, especially in the small organisations/branches in which I have found myself.

Best wishes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2015 - 2:44AM #152
Bhakta_glenn

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje

Thank you for your posts.

As previously stated, I am genuinely sorry to read about yur difficulties with Tibetan Buddhism.

But, no matter what your endeavour in life, regardless of disability, there is only one thing that will ensure that you find a Teacher and reach your goal of liberation. a person must genuijnely and sincerely want it.

www.radiosai.org/pages/ThoughtText.asp?m...

Date: Monday, February 09, 2015

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Mind control, restraining the senses, transcending the worldly dualities, forbearance, unwavering faith, and equanimity are the primary virtues that must exist in a true spiritual aspirant. In addition, there must be an intense longing for liberation (moksha). This longing cannot arise from riches or scholarships. Nor can it emerge from wealth, progeny, rites and rituals recommended in the scriptures, or acts of charity. Moksha can come only from the conquest of ignorance (ajnana). A person might master all the scriptures along with all the learned commentaries written on them by experts, or propitiate all the gods by performing the prescribed modes of worship and ceremonies. But this cannot grant the boon of liberation. Just like a person who may have every ingredient needed for cooking, but if fire is not available, can he prepare the meal? Success in acquiring self-knowledge alone can confer salvation. (Sutra Vahini, Ch 1)
-BABA

In all spiritual practices wholesome volition is where it's at, not academic scholarship or the ability to remain 'on-topic' in debates, or winning debates. And when a person is ready to receive Dharma, he or she will not have to search for it, the dharma will find them.

Sai Baba taught Buddhism in a broader spiritul context than Buddhism does: Unity in Diversity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2015 - 10:36AM #153
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Thanks, Bhakta_glenn:

As previously stated, I am genuinely sorry to read about yur difficulties with Tibetan Buddhism.

My friends consider me to be poor at dealing with difficult people!

This longing cannot arise from riches or scholarships.

I am considered highly educated. Though in hindsight, that was almost all vocational/occupational/economic in orientation!

Nor can it emerge from wealth, progeny, rites and rituals recommended in the scriptures, or acts of charity.

Much of religion and daily activity are ritualistic. Yesterday I chanced to get up unusually early. And so driving to a laundromat, I got caught up in the morning rush-hour traffic jam. Which arises from the public service requirement of workers to begin attendance at a set time!

Moksha can come only from the conquest of ignorance (ajnana).

I am considered to be an intellectual. Though friends regard my interests as skewed. Specifically they conceive of me as being expert at arcane computer lore. Whereas I need medical guidance reminding me to participate in humanity!

Just like a person who may have every ingredient needed for cooking, but if fire is not available, can he prepare the meal?

A salad, yes.

Success in acquiring self-knowledge alone can confer salvation.

I have over the years dwelt at length on what it is to be me! Whereas I recognise often in others--a distaste to know about themselves.

In all spiritual practices wholesome volition is where it's at, not academic scholarship or the ability to remain 'on-topic' in debates, or winning debates.

I am thought of as highly competitive. Which unfortunately results in a one-size-fits-all approach to problem-solving. Whereas I need to be relaxed/calm/well-rested in order to deal with human issues more appropriately.

Sai Baba taught Buddhism in a broader spiritul context than Buddhism does: Unity in Diversity.

The early part of my life was very widely travelled. And I found that everywhere I was, the people there (from Moslem Arabs to Australian farmers) thought that the spot they stood on was the Centre of the Universe! Embarassed Similarly I have often found us-and-them arguments. Moslems hated Christians, and Christians hated Moslems. "We should stop them coming here and taking our jobs!", or "Those foreign devils are bringing their evil ways to us!", and other such arguments abound. Whatever foreign/evil might be, whoever we/us are, and wherever here is!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2015 - 2:38AM #154
Bhakta_glenn

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje

Thank you for your posts.

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje wrote:

The early part of my life was very widely travelled. And I found that everywhere I was, the people there (from Moslem Arabs to Australian farmers) thought that the spot they stood on was the Centre of the Universe!

That is because it is. But as worldly human beings, we have lost sight of this.

Theravada Buddhism

In Theravadin Buddhist Cosmology the Universe is analysed into Four Great Categories, known as Bhumis, which collectively have 31 sub-categories. Thus, the Universe is understood to be comprised of Four Planes of Existence, also known as Jhanas, which may be expanded to 31 Planes of Existence representing worlds in which we may be reborn.

It is important to note that planets and Worlds are not the same. For example, human beings living on several different planets would all exist in the human realm, one Plane of Existence which is One World: Human Realm (Manussa).

The Four Bhumis are not accessed by space vehicles. They are also known as Jhanas and may be 'visited' in Jhana Meditation, Buddhist Samatha Meditation.

In the Arupa Bhumi, there are the Realms of Infinite Space and Infinite Consciousness

www.myanmarnet.net/nibbana/bhumis.htm

However, these are all mundane worlds. Nibbana is above them all, supramundane.

A Buddhist of Faithful temperament may attain all of these Jhanas with Metta Meditation, if the Preceptor knows how to teach her student.

Essentially, the journey is from 'I' to 'we', and ultimately to non-existence.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2015 - 3:23PM #155
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Well-spoken, Bhakta_glenn!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 16 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook