Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View PRAYER AND MEDITATION
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2014 - 6:27PM #1
TRUECHRISTIAN
What is the distinction, if any, between Praying and Meditating?
I could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2014 - 1:24AM #2
XingYi

I think that depends on what you mean by prayer. What do you feel is the purpose of prayer?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2014 - 11:50AM #3
TRUECHRISTIAN

Mar 8, 2014 -- 1:24AM, XingYi wrote:

I think that depends on what you mean by prayer. What do you feel is the purpose of prayer?

You mean it doesn't depend on what I think of meditation?  What I feel is the purpose of Mediation.

I am asking YOU.  

What do YOU think is the purpose of prayer? 

What do YOU think is the purpose of meditation? 

What do YOU think are the differences?

I already know what I think are the meanings.  

I am looking for a Buddhist perspective.   

I could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2014 - 1:50PM #4
XingYi

This thread strikes me as leading and disingenuous, but I'll respond anyways.

Some Buddhists pray, some do not. There is no ONE perspective on this. Personally, I do not pray to anything.

Most people that I've talked to about prayer convey the idea that it's basically asking God for stuff. Others have said it's about communing with something bigger than themselves. The latter position I understand better and is closer to how I feel when I meditate.

However, that's just my perspective and I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2014 - 1:57PM #5
Larosser

For me personally, they are the same, however, I know that not everyone shares that perspective.

A jesuit who meditates with my sangha tells me that from a Catholic perspective, in prayer you focus on god, while in meditation you focus on emptiness.

It seems to me that when I meditate, I empty myself of the concerns of my monkey mind so that I can hear the breath of god.

lq

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2014 - 11:42PM #6
rideronthastorm

For me it seems that I belong to 2 different religions universal christianity and zen but when I meditate and become one with the environment around me I am simply being present in the moment living second by second experiencing whats around me.Its more of an exercise/ Of late I havnt been praying but I want to start praying to God again but to me theyre are 2 different animals,praying is about having a relationship with God,and being in his presence.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2014 - 5:44AM #7
Bob0
so that I can hear the breath of god.

What does that sound like?
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2014 - 8:18AM #8
Larosser

Mar 10, 2014 -- 5:44AM, Bob0 wrote:

so that I can hear the breath of god.

What does that sound like?

:) What I hear when I am meditating.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2014 - 3:50AM #9
Bhakta_glenn

Mar 7, 2014 -- 6:27PM, TRUECHRISTIAN wrote:

What is the distinction, if any, between Praying and Meditating?

Praying is discursive, Meditation is silent.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2014 - 3:51AM #10
Bhakta_glenn

Vajrayana Buddhism

Tibetan Shinay Meditation Part One

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK9P7D-m_-s

Tibetan Shinay Meditation Part 2 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-Sj1eOrBg

Mantra/Prayer

Om Yoga

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvl3vr6hpIc

Before carrying out any practice of Mantra, the Buddhist student should have mastered Shinay Meditation in order to be able to 'still the movements of consciousness. When the student can silence his 'monkey-mind', then he or she can begin the Mantrayana. Om is the first Mantra from the Sanskrit. Whilst Om does not have to be the starting place for Vajrayana, it was my first Mantrayana Yoga practice back in 1989.

In Vedism, Om is God in the form of Sound. In Buddhism, Om is the Form of Pure Sound, which is why it is used as a preface for many Sanskrit Buddhist Mantras [Prayers]. Tibetan Buddhism was imported into Tibet from the Sanskrit. The sacred Tibetan Buddhist Language derived its alphabet from Sanskrit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook