Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View PRAYER AND MEDITATION
4 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2014 - 4:32PM #11
TRUECHRISTIAN

So not suprisingly it is a matter of perspective. 

I am neither a Buddhist nor a Chhapristian. 

I never pray, and by pray I mean ask god, anything, or anyone else for anything.    

I simply don't think that kind of prayer works. 

However I do on occasion meditate.  

I have a perhaps hyperactive brain-mind.  

Sometimes I feel the need to downshift to third or fouth gear to calm my mind-brain and attain a bit of serenity.  

If the weather is nice, I have a bohdi spot in a park, not far from where I live.

I have an old Walkman CD Player and usally ling isten one of two CD's.  

One is Buddhists monks chant only Om with bells ringing in the backround and another CD of Gregorgian Chants. 

I try to focus only on what I am listening to and on my breathing.  

I could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2014 - 5:31PM #12
Bhakta_glenn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5JAVk3Qwi8

I find this Metta song by Imee Ooi to be very helpful when I wish to slow my mind down.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2014 - 11:24PM #13
etoro

Mar 13, 2014 -- 4:32PM, TRUECHRISTIAN wrote:

So not suprisingly it is a matter of perspective. 

I am neither a Buddhist nor a Chhapristian. 

I never pray, and by pray I mean ask god, anything, or anyone else for anything.    

I simply don't think that kind of prayer works. 

However I do on occasion meditate.  

I have a perhaps hyperactive brain-mind.  

Sometimes I feel the need to downshift to third or fouth gear to calm my mind-brain and attain a bit of serenity.  

If the weather is nice, I have a bohdi spot in a park, not far from where I live.

I have an old Walkman CD Player and usally ling isten one of two CD's.  

One is Buddhists monks chant only Om with bells ringing in the backround and another CD of Gregorgian Chants. 

I try to focus only on what I am listening to and on my breathing.  

TrueChrist:

The function of sounds and auditory discernments (listening with intent) are an important aspect of Buddhist practice and Buddhist philosophy. It is said that there was nothing more profound than the sound of the Buddha's voice as he expounded the true principles of life and reality.  The word sutra itself is translated as the transmission of the Buddha's voice from one person to the next in the form of sound syllables contained in the Buddhist sutras. 

In traditional Buddhism there are three kinds of practices or methods of learning. These consist of precepts or rules of conduct, meditation or contemplation on the Buddha's teachings and the third is known as wisdom itself or the meaning of the Buddha's teachings. Over the many centuries of applying Buddhist philosophy and practice to the illnessess of human kind derived from greed, hatred and ignorance, Buddhist methods of teaching took on variations of these three approaches with the hope and determination of producing even quicker methods of awakening to the Buddha wisdom.  The belief is that the only way to eliminate the poisonous conditions of society are to awaken as many people as possible to the  Buddha wisdom so that we can experience peace and tranquility in this life and good fortune in the next.

The school from which I practice has a very profound yet simple approach to Buddhist practice.  We recite the words and phrases of the Lotus sutra which is considered the deepest and most universal teaching of the Buddha. This sytra teaches that all people possess the buddha nature dep within their own being and that in our original state we are all Buddha's.  This sutra speaks directly to the Buddha nature within us all and therefore teaches that this highest nature resides at the core of our being and that since the title and words and phrases of this sutra speak in the universal language of all universall enlightened beings or Buddha's we are calling it forth to the surface of our consciousness simply by reciting the words of this sutra.  While it is difficult to believe in such things the Buddha teaches that faith in this principle is the starting point by which one attains Buddhahood. This practice is known as chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.  It contains the three functions of meditation, learning and awakening simultaneously in a single moment of life.    

While the teaching has been accessible to all people, its underlying principles of knowledge and understanding of life and reality is the deepest of all.

Here are various profound writings on this subject by the founder of our school of Buddhism.

www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2/Content...

www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2014 - 8:28PM #14
Dyanaprajna2011

Prayer is external, meditation is internal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2014 - 5:28PM #15
etoro

Apr 18, 2014 -- 8:28PM, Dyanaprajna2011 wrote:

Prayer is external, meditation is internal.

Well, as I said above, it really is not that simple. There are numerous things to be explained and taught in this regard but i will get right to the point.

The Buddha wisdom expounds that both self and environment and both body and mind are actually two but not two and that all manifesting things in each instance of every moment whether of ones own inner being or the fundtions of the environment are governed by a single universal law.  This is why for example we find that the two major Mahayana schools of Buddhism are divided between one which is called "the Consciousness Only School" and the other which is called "the Middleway School" of Buddhism, each indicated by their titles that they saught to strike a point of grounding from which all reality originates.

There is no actual separation between self and the environment, subject and object nor body and mind.  Therefore all prayer, all mediation all actions and efforts affect both self and environment equally at all times.  Beseaching the support and assistance of an outer force is always experienced within oneself whether something occurs because of a prayer or if nothing at all occurs.  One is still and always left with one self to ponder the natiure of the results.  The Buddha taught that we must all be self reliant if we wish to attain true happiness and the awakening of a Buddha.  BUt we are also not separate from the Buddha here in this world.  The Buddha was a common mortal who displayed the awakening of the fundamental universal eternal law within the timeframe of his temporary existence.  In this way he taught the simiultaneous relationship between the temporary and the eternal, between the condtional and unconditional natures of existence existing simultaneouosly within a single moment. 

This itself is the teaching and exposition of the Lotus Sutra. By reciting the Lotus Sutra in the form of the seven characters of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo we call forth this true wisdom from within our own lives. In this way, through consistent practice as we go through and experience the nature of ourselves we are able to cultivate an awareness of the Buddha nature that is always present and the core of existence. This of course takes consistent and persistent effort throughout our lifetime. Let's get to work so we can protect our species, all of life and save the planet. This is our calling.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook