Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Now available the foundational Buddhist principles and philosophy of the Soka Gakkai International
4 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2013 - 2:14PM #1
etoro

For the first time in the history of humanity within the English speaking world, the foundational Buddhist principles, teachings and grounding philosophy of the Soka Gakkai International has now been made available for all for free on the internet  They can be found here --->  www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/. Although many are not yet aware of it, this is a major milestone event in the history of the several thousands years spread of the teachings of true Buddhism.  By this I am referring to the fact that the entire compendium of teachings which are the spiritual foundation and principles of the practice of Nichiren Daishonin himself are now available for all the world to study.  As a follower of the great Buddhist masters of history, by way of my own living mentor Daisaku Ikeda of the SGI, I can not restrain my tears of joy.  The movement of the Soka Gakkai today is also a contemporary demonstration of these principles and practices. 

Congratulations to all the living beings of the world.  Or as my mentor would say Bansai, Bansai, Bansai!!

This web site contains Volumes 1 and  2 of the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, the Threefold Lotus Sutra, the Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings of Nichiren and the Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhist Terms.   Now for the first time ever the interested public, those curious about Nichiren Buddhism and the worldwide peoples movement of the Soka Gakkai International, critics and commentators for and against alike, Buddhists and non-Buddhists, can all review and even deeply study what can easily be understood as the correct teachings of Buddhism, the correct teachings for the universal enlightenment of all living beings. 

The Soka Gakkai is the organization of spiritual disciples of Nichiren, now a world wide movement, who arose during the hellion days of the mid-twentieth century (11-18-30) , at a time of global conflicts, great fear in the world and many demogogic leaders of many countries rattling sabers, plunging and confining other nations and causing warfare everywhere.  The SGI arose with the determination to bring about world peace through the wide spread dissemination of the teachings and practice of the Lotus Sutra as taught and practiced by the the great teacher of the Lotus Sutra, Nichiren Daishonin.  Now over 80 years later, the third President of the movement, Daisaku Ikeda is going on 86 years old.  The accomplishments of this movement are now legendary and the spread of Nichiren Buddhism is now a foregone conclusion, having spread to over 193 countries and territories of the human world.  

I have been here on Beliefnet seeking to share the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism and the Soka Gakkai for many years.  I have been mostly misunderstood, misinterpreted and wrongly attacked throughout the entire time. But because I know that the teachings of Nichiren, the Soka Gakkai, and the correct teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha himself are the very legacy of this movement, it has been a badge of honor for me to disseminate and defend the teachings of Nichiren and my living mentor Daisaku Ikeda.  This is because I know from experience that this teaching and practice brings true results in one's life and this proof is bron out in the history and accomplishments of the movement itself.

The philosophy of the correct teachings of Buddhism are very profound and the only way to ever truly understand them are to take on the religious practice and study of Nichiren Buddhism for ones own true happiness and by extension for the happiness of all others. Then one will be able to see the entire compendium of doctrines and the great historic lives of the great masters who spread them.  This is because, in the final anaysis, all life is actually subjective, a testiment of the experienced cognition of human beings.

Two days ago a great global mentor of human dignity and freedom and a champion of human rights and democracy passed away.  Nelson Mandela was one of the great Bodhisattvas's the world has ever known.  He met with my mentor in faith and practice President Daisaku Ikeda several times in Japan. Here are photos of Presieent Daisaku Ikeda and President Nelson Mandela meeting together. ---->   www.daisakuikeda.org/sub/resources/works...    

And for those who wish to study the foundations of Nichiren Buddhism there are numerous writings to read but here is one of Nichiren's writings which covers the entire philosophy of Buddhism as understood by the Chinese and Japanese scholars. -----> www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2/Content...  In this writing NIchiren explains correctly the distinctions between Hinayana and Mahayana, introductory versus advanced Mahayana and the distinctions between the temporal / provisional and universal doctrines.

All the best

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2013 - 5:03PM #2
Jupiter6208

Yup you drank the kool-aid..

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2013 - 1:12PM #3
etoro

Dec 7, 2013 -- 5:03PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Yup you drank the kool-aid..

My point exactly. Like I said above, wrongly attacked and misunderstood.

Well here in a America we live in a free country. Isn't that great! This includes the freedom to think for oneself. Thinking also requres reading and pondering.  Read on.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2013 - 7:32PM #4
XingYi

This post belongs on the Nichiren Buddhism board. There is no proposed item for discussion or debate. It serves no other function than to proseletize one form of Buddhism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2013 - 12:40AM #5
etoro

Dec 10, 2013 -- 7:32PM, XingYi wrote:

This post belongs on the Nichiren Buddhism board. There is no proposed item for discussion or debate. It serves no other function than to proseletize one form of Buddhism.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Oooh Kaaay.

Believe it or not, it is never Nichiren's intent nor does he ever believe that he is teaching a so called "one form of Buddhism".  His writings prove it a thousandfold. Nichiren is simply adhereing to the mandate of the Lotus Sutra, leading by example and teaching how all people in the end attain the actual universal singular wisdom of all Buddhas in state of single minded devotion, praise, wonder and awe, through the single universal vehicle doctrine of the Buddha  aka the Lotus Sutra and its opening and closing sutras.  This matter is self explanatory and self established throughout the doctrines of the Lotus Sutra and it is what Nichiren himself teaches and embodies with his own life. This principle is known as the Buddha vehicle, the one all encompassing cause and the one all encompassing effect of Buddhahood. But if you do not believe in or trust in Nichiren's wisdom or study his teachings then you actually will never understand this matter. 

Truth is Buddhism is a true and correct teaching of the subjective science of the inner experience of each individual living being and it's power is greater and more universal in actual power and fact than is realized by the schools of Buddhism who do not understand the function and purpose of the Lotus Sutra. By singularly praising the Lotus Sutra you are praising all of the teachings of the Buddha as they are understood in their correct order in the very manner that the Buddha himself intended for all of his teachings to be correctly understood.  Indeed the essential purpose of the Lotus Sutra is to demonstrate the true relationship between the provisional / relative and essential / true / universal teaching of Buddhism.   

The great patriarch Eshin of the Japanese Tendai Schools states, 

"Eshin in his Essentials of the One Vehicle Teaching states: “Throughout Japan, all people share the same capacity to attain Buddhahood through the perfect teaching. Whether at court or in the countryside, whether far or near, all alike turn to the single vehicle; and whether priests or lay believers, whether eminent or humble, all can hope to attain Buddhahood. But there are a few teachers who fail to believe or accept it, questioning whether it is a provisional teaching or a true teaching. If they take it to be provisional, however, they deserve to be censured.” WND V2 pg57

In the Vimalakirti Sutra it is stated,

He [the bodhisattva] understands all devilish affairs but does not follow them in his practice. Wise in the skillful use of expedient means, he can use them at will to save others. But if one takes expedient means to be the true teaching, one is to be pitied.WND V2 pg 57

But I will leave it there for the moment.

Best and happy reading.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2013 - 12:57AM #6
XingYi

"Look how he abused me and beat me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts and you live in hate.

"Look how he abused me and beat me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Abandon such thoughts and live in love.

~from the Dhammapada

Don't get yourself worked up. I was merely stating the fact that no item was presented for discussion in this post on the Dharma Discussion & Debate board.

Since it is a resource for those who practice or are interested in Nichiren Buddhism, it belongs on that board.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2013 - 12:23PM #7
etoro

Okay but the issue still remains.  Your view of these doctrines is simply incorrect.  They are not separate and apart nor distinct. To view the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism and the approach to Buddhism by the SGI as distinct or of some other school is to not understand the all encompassing universal approach and method of the Lotus Sutra. The Lotus Sutra possesses the actual universal power and wisdom of the Buddha in all its manifested forms and methods by which to enfold all of mankind and all reality within the compassionate embrace of the Buddha's wisdom. All you have to do is read it and understand the unfolding and flowing meaning of each of the chapters as they unfold to display the vast purpose of Buddha's ministry: the fact that the Buddha has opened widely the gateway to the eternally  awakened beings of all time.  

The Japan of Nichiren's day was deeply immersed in all the doctrinal approaches and principles of Buddhism.  A great deal of intellectual effort was put to showing how all the Buddhist doctrines interrelate from the standpoint of their correlated narratives. It was a time of great culminations in terms of the history of Buddhist concepts and their effect upon human history.

Buddhism is a true teaching, the only actual spiritual science which demonstrates correctly how to bring humanity into a state of universal spiritual unity in this world.  This accomplishment is still a work in progress, one that is only correctly understood by genuine Bodhisattvas who have come to thoroughly grasp the principle of the mutual possession of the ten worlds, the totality of the life force which manifests in each instance through the lives of living beings, These are serious matters - in keeping with the meaning of the Buddha's enlightenment - supported by very profound concepts concerning the nature of the mind and the actual relationship between the Budddha, the most accomplished teacher of all mankind. These matters are expounded in the Lotus Sutra.  You appear to not have a grasp of what is actually going on. This is a matter of karma. 

Among the most important principles to grasp with regard to the Buddhist philosophy or Buddha wisdom is how its core universal, eternal and unchanging principle of great wisdom is taught and applied within the world of time and ever changing circumstances.  This is why the concept of the five guides for propogation are very important if one seeks to grasp the Buddhist teachings without slandering what one does not understand. These consist of an understanding regarding the nature of the Buddhist teaching and the times, the peoples capacity, the sequence of propogation and the political state and principles of the country in which the teachings are propogated.   The establishment of a spiritual unity and oneness of mind in on'es own lifetime is the prupose of the Buddha's ministry.  This wisdom can only be understand by oneself subjectively.  For example, although many people percieve the world as rotted and corrupted, all Buddha's do not experience their own lives in such manner.

With respect to the teaching, this concerns the method by which all Buddha's dispense the doctrine.  This concerns the quality and meaning of the Buddha's words and phrases acrosss the span of the lifetime of his disciples, leading them from expedient means and awakening within them their awareness of the Buddha nature and the actual state of the equality of all living beings. The various schools have put forth their own theories but in the final analysis the best and most widely respected method divides the Buddha's preaching into five periods and eight teachings, four teachings of doctrine and four teachings of method devised by the Tien Tai school. The pricniples of this school, based upon the philosophy of the Lotus Sutra, were all encompassed into the Nichiren practice and philosophy.

With respect to the sequence of propogation there are two kinds, those which occurred during the Buddha's lifetime and those which have unfolded in the periof after the Buddha's passing. Actual proof of these matters are reflected in the actual state of unity among the  Buddha and his true disciples in every age, and those who maintain a true fidelity with the intent of all the Buddha's since the infinite past as well as those who know the proper teachings to bring about true results, an understanding of the true meaning of nirvana.  The principle of the infinite past is understood once one comes to realize that the laws which govern our life functions have existed since the infinite past. 

With respect to the peoples capacity , knowing the people's capacity will determine which among the methods of propogation will lead the people most effectively to the state of awakening within their lifetimes.

Knowing the nature of the country will also determine whether one teaches from the standpoint of the individual vehicle or the universal vehicle.  Shakyamuni Buddha started by teaching the individual vehicle because of the deep seated beliefs in the concept of a transmigrating self. So he started by refuting the concept of the self nature that was prevalent at the time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2014 - 1:35AM #8
etoro

Further to these critical points, those who believe that somehow they have the insight and wisdom to discriminate against the Lotus Sutra and its principles in favor of their own Buddhist tradition or non-Buddhist tradition do not yet properly understand the teachings of the Buddha.  When I compare the actual issues that are being clarified with respect to the principles and teachings that are expounded within the sutras against what people today, in the western world assume to be Buddhist philosophy, it is sad to observe how far removed they are from the actual principles that are being contemplated and organized within their proper order.

Notwithstanding the manner in which the great Mahayana scholars of history interpret and organize the major issues, decipher them and penetrate the underlying principles to be understood, particularly the principles of the three truths of temporary existence, nonsubstantiality and the middleway, the issues concerning the true nature of the self and the difficult and seemingly contradictory approaches to which the nature of the self is treated across the 50 years of the Buddha's preaching career, there is a very interesting and thought provoking philosophical conundrum which the Buddha himself must deeply reconcile at the very dawn and of his ministry as he considers his next move after the enlightenment as he prepares to go forth into the world to transmit the Buddha wisdom to others at the young age of 32 the Buddha must ponder the nature of the situation and ponder whether and the best way to do so here -----> www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn06... and here ------------->   dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp.../12.1-Why-the-Buddha-hesitated.pdf

As the article notes, these episodes in the Buddha's early career insdicate the unique psychological and cognitive space that the Buddha had manifested within his being, bringing into wisdom and insight the juxtapositions of the conditional and unconditional states of life and devising the method of leading others into the doctrine. These doctrines, derived as they are from the Tripitaka of the Voice Hearer disciples, indicate the founding true principles of the Saddharma Pundarika or Lotus Sutra.  In a very interesting way this early account of the Buddha's hesitation to teach the Dharma within the saha or conditional realm, within the lower mental states of humanity, draw the connections, yet display the disparity in perspectives between the pre-mahayana accounts of the Buddha's inner mind set and philosophy versus the Mahayana accounts of the Lotus Sutra.   

Given the substance of these introductions to the true nature and source of the Buddha doctrine we can see from the following discourses as expounded by Nichiren of the Lotus School the supreme importance of the role and pivitol accomplishments of the Voice Hearer Disciples in the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren's exposition in this criritcal philosophical essay explains the merging of the linear temporal doctrine or expedient means and methods with the one non-diualistic and therefore supreme truth of the Law of the Sad Dharma Pundarika, the mystioc law of the Lotus Blossom Dharma.  This mystic law of the Lotus Blossom Dharma. a law of cause and effect where the cause is the unconditional wisdom and the effect is the unconditional wisdom as well is the mystic law of cause and effect as put into action by all Buddha's.  See hear -------------->  www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2/Content...

Those who wish to attain Buddhahood in this latter age of the Dharma should contemplate these teachings of true Buddhism above well indeed.  Pay close attention to the matters that are presented here as they teach the very roots of the Buddha's true doctrine of liberation from the fetters of birth and dearh.  

gassho

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2014 - 9:24AM #9
etoro

In my exposition of the prior post, post above, I unleash a torrent of wisdom and insight regarding the true nature of the Buddhist doctrine.  These are the teachings of my teacher, the teacher of all mankind in the latter age of the Buddha dharma,  Nichiren Daishonin.  As I reread it in weeks and months afterward I am astounded at the wonder of the teachings expounded by Nichiren, the great teacher of the great pure law.  I am also well aware that very few people in the world can apreciate well what is being stated there. Humanity suffers from deep afflictions and the sensory perception of human beings is limited by fear and small self interest.

I am fortunate to say that I have been studying the writings of Nichiren throughout my entire adult life from the age of 16 onwards to the age of 53 today.  It brings me a great deal of joy in kowing and understanding these teachings of true sagacity; teachings which reveal the manner in which the Buddha in actual form opened up his heart for the world of humanity to see and grasp the actual power and wisdom of the Buddha; the power to walk through life, unmoved, unshaken by the law of birth and death.

This is the kind of medicine that is needed in the world today. The only way humanity is going to survice the vast proliferation of greed, hatred and ignorance that has been planted in so many hearts, that inspite of the long standing grounding of many great global religious principles and practices, is to enable all people to awaken to the actual truth of their own lives.  NIchiren teaches this truth in many ways.  Among them is the notion that human beings are entities of the oneness of good and evil.  This means that whatever evil we percieve in the life of another is actually being experienced within ourselves, yet under the delusion of the duality of self and other. It is critical therefore that all people of the world today are given the proper tools to awaken to the oneness of self and other in the manner in which this principle is understood in its most universal form, if nothing else. 

This notion of "in its most universal form" is the key matter which distinguishes true Buddhism. the most universal from of Buddhism, from all conditional teachings.  NIchiren wrote and taught extensively about such matters.  Finding the wisdom and the teaching which absolves all duality without extinguishing duality while remaining squarely within the realm of duality is the inner wisdom of the Buddha. Astounding indeed.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook