Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Chuang Yen Monastery
4 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2013 - 12:59PM #1
Piobair_Paganach

A dear Dharma sister's visiting NY this week, and called today from the Chuang Yen Monastery near Carmel, NY. Now my Beloved's all pumped up for a road trip.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 5:29AM #2
rideronthastorm

Hey i watched it its beautful. Its a Monastery so that means that the Monks live there doesnt it? They said folks come for week long retreats and on Sundays so.

I heard Dharma talk given on Zen Monastery where people can go and live in MOnastery who dont have to be Monks . She was telling us what the daily lives were like. Its very strict but Im sure very enlightening and rich experience.

They get up at like 4 in the morning and shower then meditate from 5 to 730 then eat and like at 830 meditate for the beginning of the day then at 9 they work for like 5 or 6 hours most get off by 3 then go and meditate again till like 5 go eat then I think they get one hour of rest and sleep if they want to take it or just to  write someone or have personal time then they meditate from 7 to 9.

Im like geez its like 8 hours a day meditating and a vegetarian lifestyle. I could never be that disciplined but I wouldnt mind doing something like that for a week like on a retreat or something. They eat vegetarian too I know alot of Buddhists do. Im trying to eat Pescatarian 3 days a week which is fish only for meat.

But its hard because I have had an addiction to fastfood and my immune system is weak so Im prone to getting anemia protien deficiancy alot where my iron is low so Im afraid the Vegan diet wouldnt be high enough in protien for me.

But when I get my weight down one of these days I know there are weekend retreats in Tx might check into a retreat which would be really good.

Thought the video was interesting the library looks so cool .

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 7:57AM #3
Bhakta_glenn

Sep 18, 2013 -- 5:29AM, rideronthastorm wrote:

Hey i watched it its beautful. Its a Monastery so that means that the Monks live there doesnt it? They said folks come for week long retreats and on Sundays so.

I heard Dharma talk given on Zen Monastery where people can go and live in MOnastery who dont have to be Monks . She was telling us what the daily lives were like. Its very strict but Im sure very enlightening and rich experience.

They get up at like 4 in the morning and shower then meditate from 5 to 730 then eat and like at 830 meditate for the beginning of the day then at 9 they work for like 5 or 6 hours most get off by 3 then go and meditate again till like 5 go eat then I think they get one hour of rest and sleep if they want to take it or just to  write someone or have personal time then they meditate from 7 to 9.

Im like geez its like 8 hours a day meditating and a vegetarian lifestyle. I could never be that disciplined but I wouldnt mind doing something like that for a week like on a retreat or something. They eat vegetarian too I know alot of Buddhists do. Im trying to eat Pescatarian 3 days a week which is fish only for meat.

But its hard because I have had an addiction to fastfood and my immune system is weak so Im prone to getting anemia protien deficiancy alot where my iron is low so Im afraid the Vegan diet wouldnt be high enough in protien for me.

But when I get my weight down one of these days I know there are weekend retreats in Tx might check into a retreat which would be really good.

Thought the video was interesting the library looks so cool .

Rider on the Storm

With regard to Buddhist Meditation, it is regular daily practice which will help one become an established Buddhist. When I first began to practise, I was unable to sit still for even five minutes because of Clinical Anxiety.

I was fortunate to meet with a very sympathetic Tibetan Buddhist Teacher who advised me to set aside half an hour each day. The time of day was not that important. What was important was that I should try to reserve the same time of day for Meditation Practice.

Back then: My reserved time for Meditation Practice was from 9 am to 9.30 am. From Monday through to Friday, my wife would have been at work and my daughters would have been at school. On the weekend, when they were around I would carry out my meditation in the bathroom, with the door locked.

During the Daily Half Hour period for Meditation, I had to give some consideration to Turning the Mind towards Buddhist Practice. In Tibetan Buddhism, there are Four Thoughts which turn the Mind away from worldly pursuits to the practice of Buddhist Meditation [Dharma]

The Four Thoughts that Turn the Mind to the Dharma

1          thinking about appreciating the precious human life,

2          thinking about death and impermanence, that the opportunities that we have now with this precious existence are not going to last,    

3          thinking about the laws of karma and cause and effect, in other words how our behaviour affects what we experience,

4          thinking about the disadvantages of samsara, of uncontrollably recurring rebirth.

I have been taught that in Asian thought, if one repeats a Volition [Intention] Three Times, then it empowers that intention and helps the person carry out the task. Therefore, to contemplate The Four Thoughts, I used to read them through silently three times at the beginning of my Buddhist Meditation.

Then, during the rest of the half hour, I would resolve to sit for Five Minutes. I could sit for Five Minutes continuously, or I could sit for Five Separate Minutes, depending upon the state of my anxiety

Twelve Months later, I was still practising Buddhist Mediation every day.

Today, I can sit for up to an hour without fidgeting, or moving at all. But, it is not the purpose of my Meditation to just sit blissed out, with nothing going on. In Buddhist Meditation, we have to put up with the discomfort of getting rid of impurities. But, it does improve with the passing of Time.

Early rising

An English Buddhist Monk [Theravada] gave me a training plan for arising early in the morning.

There is a very good reason why Asian people arise in the early morning for Meditation practice. In colloquial terms, it puts one's Meditation Practice on Steroids [Metaphor].

For the effort tone puts in in the early morning, before the Sun arises, yields far greater results than Meditation at any other Time. This practice is not restricted to Buddhism. The Hindus also do it. They call it Brahma Muhurtha:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahma_muhurta

The energy that is around during Brahma Muhurtha is non-sectarian and beneficent. it does not discriminate on the ground so of 'isms'. I tis available to anyone who takes the trouble to arise early, whatever they believe, or have realised.

Methodology for Arising Early

1     For Two Weeks, arise at one's normal time.

Before sleeping, silently say:

May I arise tomorrow morning with the sound of the alarm, getting out of bed before turning it off, then, may I wash and dress before carrying out my Morning Practice of Mediation.

Silently Three Times three Times

2       For the next Two weeks, set the alarm clock 20 minutes earlier than before and when retiring for the night silently say that formula above. Be sure to arise from bed with the sound of that alarm, and do not switch it off until out of bed. and never hit the snooze button. This is fatal. One will simply fall asleep again.

3       Repeat this process until one reaches a time which is about 2 hours before sunrise. the actual time is 1 Hour and 30 minutes before sunrise. 

In this way, you may visit the Temple of your own Body.

Bodhicitta is the Mind of Enlightenment. To begin with the task of developing Bodhicitta, we practice Metta Meditation.

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 8:16AM #4
Bhakta_glenn

www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/B%20-%...

Love in Buddhism

Walpola Piyananda Thera

Dharma Vijaya Buddhist Vihara, 1990

Part II :

Illustrations and practice of love and compassion

Lovingkindness for Everybody

Most of us are a long way from being able to express love and compassion as the Buddha did. Yet the lessons of the last three stories are lessons we can all learn. And we can cultivate these "divine dwellings" to improve ourselves, to work towards the end of our own suffering and thus be able to help all beings. As you become more proficient in practicing lovingkindness, you are more and more like the Buddha.

To cultivate metta, it is advisable to find a quiet place where you can release all tensions and not be disturbed. Try to find some place away from the turmoil, hustle and bustle of daily life. The place can be a room, a garden, your bedroom; anyplace that feels comfortable to you. Once you find the place, stick with it. Also, for best results, it is good to decide on a particular time for daily practice twice daily, morning and evening for at least five minutes each, you will, as the Buddhist texts say,

Sleep and wake in comfort;

you see no evil dreams;

you are dear to humans and non-humans;

deities protect you;

fire, poison and weapons cannot touch you.

Your mind quickly concentrates,

your countenance is serene,

and when you die,

it will be without

confusion in your mind.

Even if you fail to attain nirvana, you

will pass to a world of bliss. (33)

Lovingkindness should be practiced first towards yourself. If you do not love yourself, how can you love others? Therefore you have to be friendly towards yourself. Do not burden yourself with an unhealthy guilty conscience. Human nature is human nature. No one is all good, no one is all bad. Even if you do something wrong, you need not feel guilty, but should take advantage of the opportunity to correct yourself. You should not repent on the past, nor brood over the future. Look inside yourself to gently eradicate feelings of superiority or inferiority. You will reach a point where unhealthful thoughts and actions will not arise.

You can give others what you yourself have. You cannot give others what you have not experienced. Loving yourself involves appreciating you own values. Appreciating your own value, you will appreciate others and their service to mankind. When you recognise that you are the best you can be, you will realise that others are the best they can be, too.

Love is the best antidote for anger. It is the best medicine for those who are angry with themselves. Let us extend lovingkindness, metta, to all, with a free and boundless heart:

Love is firm, not grasping;

Love is unshakeable, not tied down;

Love is gentle, not hard;

Love is helpful, not interfering;

Love is dignified, not proud;

Love is active; not passive;

Hate restricts, but love releases;

Hate brings grief, but love brings peace;

Hate agitates, but love calms;

Hate divides, but love unites;

Hate hinders, but love helps;

Love guides to right understanding;

Love guides to right thought;

Love guides to right speech;

Love guides to right action;

Love guides to right livelihood;

Love guides to right effort;

Love guides to right mindfulness;

Love guides to right concentration.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 4:22PM #5
Piobair_Paganach

Bhakta_glenn,
             If all you're going to to is cut-n'-paste long tracts of discursive texts which don't actually relate to the topic, don't you think that it would be better if you would start a new thread on that particular subject?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 5:17PM #6
Bob0
Piobair Pagana:

You must not be from around here partner. Stay long enough and you will lose this attachment for order.

You start a nice thread showcasing a Monastery and mention your Dharma sister. And in just two posts Buddhist controversy jumps up. Vegetarianism and meditation, just two of the many points of endless argumentation Buddhists cling to.

Because of this.....that. But we have no knowledge of the completeness of reaction our actions will cause. Emptiness, interdependence and cause and effect. That's how these threads seem to go, one thought to another depending on the interest and the

life experience of the poster. And yes, the long rambling sectarian posts. Something to meditate on.

I leave you with a smile. You will have to imagine it, much like you have to imagine reincarnation.

Wishing you small tranquil days,

Bob
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 7:26PM #7
rideronthastorm

Sep 18, 2013 -- 5:17PM, Bob0 wrote:

Piobair Pagana:

You must not be from around here partner. Stay long enough and you will lose this attachment for order.

You start a nice thread showcasing a Monastery and mention your Dharma sister. And in just two posts Buddhist controversy jumps up. Vegetarianism and meditation, just two of the many points of endless argumentation Buddhists cling to.

Because of this.....that. But we have no knowledge of the completeness of reaction our actions will cause. Emptiness, interdependence and cause and effect. That's how these threads seem to go, one thought to another depending on the interest and the

life experience of the poster. And yes, the long rambling sectarian posts. Something to meditate on.

I leave you with a smile. You will have to imagine it, much like you have to imagine reincarnation.

Wishing you small tranquil days,

Bob

Theres a huge problem Bobo with you and Bhaltis post to me. You assume just like you just did that I have  a problem with doing meditation. Although sometimes I do have a hard time discplining myself to meditate everyday it is a goal of mine to learn to meditate 30  minutes to an hour a day.

I never ever ever said I have a problem with that at all. Yall must not  have read my whole post. I was speaking about a woman who gave a Dharma talk who actually lived in one of the monsterys. Some monsterys have strict structured programs and she was telling us that but she loved the structure.

I didnt say I didnt want to meditate she said living in a Monastery they get up everyday at 4 am and meditate and they like meditate 10 hours a day now do you get up at 4 am and meditate? Thats what I was talking about go back and read my post.

I do have an issue with vegetarianism and I havnt been disciplining myself to meditate like I should anyways so its just as well. But i dont like to be misqouted like that. I never said I have an issue with meditation. The topic is the Monastery I was talking about life inside of a Monastery thats the topic anyways so.Its a structured program.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 8:24PM #8
Bob0
Rider:  "Theres a huge problem Bobo with you and Bhaltis post to me. You assume just like you just did that I have  a problem with doing meditation. Although sometimes I do have a hard time discplining myself to meditate everyday it is a goal of mine to learn to meditate 30  minutes to an hour a day."

Read my post again. It wasn't to you. I never commented on your doing or not doing meditation. And I didn't quote you. Why so quick to see offense in a post that was directed to another?

There are many ways to do meditation. My suggestion to you is to do whatever works for you and not attach to those extraneous mandates such as posture, mantras etc. Good luck with your efforts.

Rider "I do have an issue with vegetarianism"

Are you aware what the Buddha taught about eating meat? And are you aware that vegetarianism was one of the issues Devadatta used to split the original sangha? 

Devadatta........"Bhikkhas should eat only vegetarian food"......(One of the five rules that Devadatta proposed to make the monks just a little better in his opinion)

Tathagatta......."No Devadatta, the Tathagata  does not accept them"...

But this is a nice thread about a pleasant monastery. I wasn't looking for a fight. It takes two to fight so I will wish you a most pleasant small tranquil day.

Bob
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 10:06PM #9
MY_Khim

Smile  I couldn’t resist smiling while reading these posts.  A simple notification on a Dharma sister's upcoming visit turmed into a mild misunderstanding becoz of a long-timer & regular forumer’s good intentions.

I think both  Piobair Pagana & Rideronthastorm are still infants on this board – hopefully they will not b discouraged – I’m expecting some more arguments/explanations from another long-timer & forumer Wink.

Rideronthastorm, if u r here long enough, u will b grateful for BobO’s comments.  In fact if there’s a “like” button similar to facebook, I’ll b the 1st to press the button.

May all b well & happy always

khim, malaysia

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 11:34PM #10
rideronthastorm

Sep 18, 2013 -- 8:24PM, Bob0 wrote:

Rider:  "Theres a huge problem Bobo with you and Bhaltis post to me. You assume just like you just did that I have  a problem with doing meditation. Although sometimes I do have a hard time discplining myself to meditate everyday it is a goal of mine to learn to meditate 30  minutes to an hour a day."

Read my post again. It wasn't to you. I never commented on your doing or not doing meditation. And I didn't quote you. Why so quick to see offense in a post that was directed to another?

There are many ways to do meditation. My suggestion to you is to do whatever works for you and not attach to those extraneous mandates such as posture, mantras etc. Good luck with your efforts.

Rider "I do have an issue with vegetarianism"

Are you aware what the Buddha taught about eating meat? And are you aware that vegetarianism was one of the issues Devadatta used to split the original sangha? 

Devadatta........"Bhikkhas should eat only vegetarian food"......(One of the five rules that Devadatta proposed to make the monks just a little better in his opinion)

Tathagatta......."No Devadatta, the Tathagata  does not accept them"...

But this is a nice thread about a pleasant monastery. I wasn't looking for a fight. It takes two to fight so I will wish you a most pleasant small tranquil day.

Bob

Oh no Im sorry Bobo I didnt mean to fight. Im sick right now so coming off defensive here i a apologize. Actually I meant that for Bakti that was the post with the comments to me about not being disciplined in meditation but sense you took up for Bakti in the other post I just posted to both yall. Ima  little mixed up tonight like I said Im sick so please accept apologies. It was meant for Bakti sorry

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook