Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Chuang Yen Monastery
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2013 - 11:38PM #11
rideronthastorm

The only argument I have for Bobo is on Vegertarainism however I belong to a Zen Temple or did will hopfully go back and start going again eventually. They dont require vegetarianism no they encourage it but its not a requirement to belong there.  Im on a Weight Watchers diet now. I eat a  certain amount of protien everyday and Im on low carb for diabetis.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2013 - 2:32AM #12
Bob0

Think nothing of it. Life goes on. I hope you feel better soon.

Bob

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2013 - 4:44AM #13
Bhakta_glenn

Sep 18, 2013 -- 4:22PM, Piobair_Paganach wrote:

Bhakta_glenn,
             If all you're going to to is cut-n'-paste long tracts of discursive texts which don't actually relate to the topic, don't you think that it would be better if you would start a new thread on that particular subject?

Piobair_Pagan

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for pointing out my errors.

The post with the quoted Metta Mediation may be not to your liking. It may be even illogical, off-topic.

However, it is not off-Dhamma.

The Buddha taught Dhamma, not the Topic; and I am not the Buddha; merely an ignoramus walking the Path. And this board is not a Buddhist Academy; it is merely a virtual, eclectic Drop-in Centre, where people of many differing views may meet to share their subjective opinions. 

Thank you for your criticism. It is always good to learn what others may think about one. It offers an opportunity to practice Buddhist Meditation. This, after all, is far more important than the Topic.

The quotation is nothing more nor less than Dhamma.

As Buddhists we take refuge in the Dhamma but we do not take refuge in the Topic.

The Dhammapada: Verses and Stories

Translated by Daw Mya Tin, M.A.

Edited by Editorial Committee, Burma Tipitaka Association Rangoon, Burma, 1986

Courtesy of Nibbana.com
For free distribution only, as a gift of dhamma.

Verse 183: Not to do evil, to cultivate merit, to purify one's mind - this is the Teaching of the Buddhas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2013 - 5:31AM #14
Bob0

Where are those peaceful smiling monks when you need them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2013 - 1:12PM #15
Piobair_Paganach

"The post with the quoted Metta Mediation may be not to your liking. It may be even illogical, off-topic.
However, it is not off-Dhamma.

"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

"A statement endowed with these five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people."
Vaca Sutta

Is it "on-Damma" if it's not "spoken at the right time"?
Not to suggest that meditation or diet vis–à–vis Right Mindfulness or the First Precept aren't of interest or worthy of discussion, but wouldn't it be more sensible to start a new thread for a new topic? Our thoughts are discursive enough; is it skillful means to mirror such digressiveness on a board such as this, or would it be more helpful to bring Right Concentration to bear and focus our attention, rather than allowing it to wander as it pleases?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook