Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Obese folks in sittings?
4 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2013 - 5:05AM #1
rideronthastorm

Well of course in Zen we have the whole sitting on the floor cross legged or the watchmacallit the name of the flower the hard one some sit in?YIKES! We also have a little wooden stool some sit on with legs down but still too hard for me.But here I am big fat me I weigh 340 lbs yikes! But they do have a nice hard back chair they put a pillow on for me and its fine.

But still at my weight im not sure I can last a whole hour so Im waiting to lose weight before i go back however I believe the chair and making me comfortable is enough they dont need to do anything else theyve done enough.

My question is this do Zen Temples all over America with obesity on the rise out here do you think they all make folks at Zen as comfortable as they do me, is a chair offered for folks with disabilities everywhere?

Believe it or not there is an Indian yoga meditation class strictly meditation where you have to climb alot of stairs and  sit on the floor! You have to be fairly fit yikes!
They encouraged me to lose the wieght I ate at their Indian restaurant but still Ive heard some groups are stricter then others are they all tolerant of obese folks?

Im very very very blessed that Ive got the Zen Center I do over here very very very sweet nice folks!

Cant wait to drop a few pounds and get back up there!

Namaste       

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2013 - 5:23AM #2
rideronthastorm

LOTUS! Lotus position aha I remembered it without looking it up on the net so dont laugh me out of Zen please!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2013 - 7:03AM #3
Piobair_Paganach

While the Full Lotus position is the classical preferred posture for zazen, here in America few besides yoga instructors can manage it; we simply don't have a cultural tradition of sitting on the floor. Our Zen Center has zafus & zabutons (cushions on the floor), a variety of seiza benches, some kneeling chairs, and a few plain old Western chairs. Besides obesity, we have several elderly, some who've had spinal surgery, and a host of blown knees, arthritis, etc. Posture and form are important to the practice, but it's important to remember that the form is to support your practice, not the other way 'round.

An hour's a long time for zazen. I remember reading where Yasutani roshi doubted that anyone could maintain their focus that long. Our maximum is 35 minutes, with kinhin (walking meditation) in between.

In any event, don't wait for the right conditions to start practice; now is the time. As Suzuki roshi said; "Treat every moment as your last. It is not preparation for something else."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2013 - 12:24PM #4
rideronthastorm

thanks thats great that yall have so many elderly and obese folks!So many diferent kinds of sitting places too! Well even though Im sitting for an hour I dont hold my focus that long no i might only get 5 or 10 minutes of being able to hold focu have my thoughts slowed down in the state of being here in the exact moment Im not that good yet just a  beginner.

Im also using Second Life the virtual world on the net where you make your charector live in instead of playing a game. You can play games in second life but its not like sims where your actually playing a game.

People walk their charector around to live there some go to find a romance with their charector although its your charector doing it you can talk and chat in the chat window and talk through a mic on the system. Religion is also one thing you can do.

Theres only 2 reliable Buddhist temples I go to. One of them is strictly zen its Kannonji Zen Retreat theres a video on youtube you can watch about Kannonji and then theres the Buddhist Center it has several kinds of Buddhism and Zen. I take classes there but forget what all traditions Im listening to, theres a mic set up so I can hear the teacher or monk teach it so.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2013 - 5:42PM #5
Ferretling

The temple I do offers chairs for anyone who cannot sit cross-legged or do seiza. Our medication service is chanting the Heart Sutra, 45 minutes zazen, 10 minutes kinhin, and 45 minutes zazen. It can be pretty hard, some days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2013 - 9:08PM #6
rideronthastorm

WOW Thats is we have 3 different traditions like 2 of them are an hour and one has tea and social at the end and also has chanting at the end but not all of them. 2 last an hour or more depending on how long chanting lasts and one is an hour and half meditation .

They all split up into 30 minutes segments the sound of the bell meditate 30 minutes take a 5 minute break sound of the bell come back for another 30 minutes and on one of those they do 5 minutes of walking for a 5 minute break so you dont get tired in the sitting position I cant do 5 mins of walking so i do as much as I can and sit down in my chair wait for the rest to finish.

Unfortunately I need an orientation but theyre orientations take place upstairs and 8 years ago when I took it I could walk it barely right now I dont think I can I need to drop 60 lbs so Im gonna wait to drop some weight to go back for orientation.

I like buddhist classes in 2nd life you can sit at home be comfortable

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook