Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View By chanting we can cut reduce our bad karma. How is it possible?
4 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2013 - 2:26PM #1
petravanyk
Hi, I heard that by chanting we can cut reduce our bad karma from our past which affects our present life. How is it possible? and How is chanting Nam myoho renge Kyo differ from chanting any other matra.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2014 - 4:55PM #2
etoro

Aug 10, 2013 -- 2:26PM, petravanyk wrote:

Hi, I heard that by chanting we can cut reduce our bad karma from our past which affects our present life. How is it possible? and How is chanting Nam myoho renge Kyo differ from chanting any other matra.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is the culmination of the Buddha wisdom and the final completion of the most deep inner manifestation of the Mahayana or Great vehicle form of Buddhist philosophy and practice.  This is a true statement and can be easily proven by studying the many writings and formal treatises of the founder Nichiren Daishonen. These writings are replete with historic references and conceptual analysis into the many philosophical developments that occurred over the 1500 year period prior to Nichiren's birth in 13th century Japan. Japan itself, as a nation, has served as a genuinely Buddhist country, seeing itself as preserving Buddhist teachings and traditions that had been destroyed by competing religions and philosophies in the histories of other formerly Buddhist countries like China and India.

I have been practicing and studying the teachngs of Nichiren Buddhism for over 30 years and I have had the fortune to conduct both an application of the practice to my own personal life circumstamces but also conduct a deep and profound study of Nichiren's writings and teachings within the context of the history of Buddhist philosophy as it developed over the last 2500 years spreading across India, China, Japan and then from a later stage Indin BUddhism to Tibet. In this respect it is well established that Buddhism spread in three basic directions. North West, than Easterly, from Nepal to Kasmir and into the Afghan, Tajikstan and points northeasterly through the "silk road" into the western lands of China and then settling within the ruling and governing regions of China as the Emperors of China sought more knowledge and the secrets of the "western religion of India". These teachings became known as "Sino Japanese" Buddhism as they made their way into Japan.  A second route of Buddhist development flowed southerly down into Ceylone (Sri Lanka) and then eastward into Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia. A third major development was the spread of Buddhism from the Nepal region northerly into Tibet.

The Buddhist teachings we encounter through officlal channels in the western world such as universities and other non-threatening sources has now been spreading for over 150 years first in Europe and then here in the United States.  Over 150 years ago Henry David Thoreau quoted the Lotus Sutra in his writings. Since that time many western thinkers, scientists and philosophers have praised Buddhist for its rational approach to solving human problems. 

Nichiren Buddhism is the Asian equivalent of the evolution of western rationalism. The movements that liberated the western mind from the authoritarian thinking of the ancient Roman Empire and Catholic Church, movements such as those that began with the ideas of Thomas Aquinas, onto the ideas of the great western philosophers of the last 500 years. 

As I understand it the principle of the Buddha's wisdom was very difficult to preserve for future generations and very complicated to transmit to others in the posthumous world after the Buddha's passing.  The difficulty derives from the notion of how to enable all people to acquire the peace and inner liberation from suffering that the Buddha had acquired for himself. This is a very complicatewd undertaking. And this is because human beings are born into a three dimensional reality where they are surrounded by a vast realm of relativity, conditions and circumstances conditioned by genetics, culture and nature herself. How does one penetrate through these circumstances and arrive at an inner understanding of the universal law, wisdom and insight?

-continued-

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook