Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2013 - 5:53AM #1
Bhakta_glenn

Buddhism in the West

Samye Ling was the first Tibetan Buddhist Centre to be established in the West.

www.samyeling.org

Buddhism

Buddhism is a spiritual tradition that was founded over 2500 years ago during the time of Shakyamuni Buddha.

[....]

Rooted in principles of non-violence and loving-kindness, his instruction set many people on the path to their own liberation.

[....]

There are three main aspects to Buddhist practice:

1. Doing no harm
2. Performing wholesome actions
3. Training our mind through meditation.

[....]

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2015 - 4:33AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I turned up on the wrong day (misinterpreting my diary). I didn't know that there were so many Bhutanese here! I was so out of practice that I only translated occasional words of the Tibetan prayers. But the sung prayers were melodious and mellow. So I soon calmed down! Innocent

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2015 - 2:59AM #3
Bhakta_glenn

Jul 12, 2015 -- 4:33AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

I turned up on the wrong day (misinterpreting my diary). I didn't know that there were so many Bhutanese here! I was so out of practice that I only translated occasional words of the Tibetan prayers. But the sung prayers were melodious and mellow. So I soon calmed down!

I have just had to change the URL for the Samye Ling Website in post number above. The original URL is no longer working correctly.

Mindfulness

What you appear to be describing is that by merely listening to dharma in a sacred place you have experienced some degree of insight into Samadhi, aka Tranquility, which according to the Fourth Noble Truth of the Eightfold Noble Path is called Right Concentration. It is a positive sign and symptom of spiritual growth, and spiritual maturity.

You see, there is a vast difference between academic study (parsing scriptures, dialectically analysing text, and arranging transcendental reality into conceptual subject categories] and the yogic practice of 'submissive hearing' Dharma. In Buddhism, the practice of Hearing Dharma is called 'Voice Hearing'.

When the mind is calmed, the student is moving towards a State of Tranquillity, aka Samadhi. If the oral subject is an outpouring of Dharma, it is not necessary to grab it with both hands by way of dialectical analysis, one only has to listen. The speech is pure, supramundane and in this world but not of it. Thus, it is possible to realise Samadhi merely by listening submissively. this is exactly how mantras work:

Om Mani Padme Hung is a mantra that is made up of words of power but they defy any worldly interpretation. For example: Om is the First Mantra, every language in the world is embedded within it. It is pure sound from which all other sounds arise. But the person who penetrates this first mantra will go beyond birth and death, be spiritually awakened, become Deathless and Enlightened. This is why Buddhism and Hinduism put such great value on this mantra.

Karma Yeshe Dorje, what you have stumbled on is called "Listening Bhavana (Mental Development)". for when an Enlightened Sage sings or speaks, those worldly folk in hearing distance become spirutlaly energised, and tehir destines are trneded away form Samsara towards Dharma, and Enlightenment. In a simple nutshell, you heard the Dharma.

Listening Bhavana is also called Listening Mediation. It has formed a part of my Buddhist Practice for the last 24 years. Quite often, I will select a cahnt of Dharma on You Tube and just listen to it. The effects are always benefiticial. Every monring whilst in the shower, I listen to the Metta Song:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNsulg9jtcM

When you noted that you calmed down whilst listenig to 'sung prayers' you were experiencing Mindfulness. This is a direct positive attainement from merely listening to the Dharma. 

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook