Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Questions for any practicing Zen Buddhists
4 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2013 - 8:33PM #1
Summertide
I've recently taken an interest in Zen Buddhism and am learning all I can about it. I don't have access to many other Buddhists where I live, so I thought maybe I could get a few of my questions answered here. I've learned the basics from online research and books, but I'd like a first-hand view of what it's like to practice Zen Buddhism.

-What initially drew you to Zen? 

-What do you like about it?

-How often do you meditate and for how long?

-What benefits has practicing Zen produced in your life?

-Any advice for a newbie?   

Thanks in advance!             
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2013 - 2:38AM #2
Ferretling

Jun 1, 2013 -- 8:33PM, Summertide wrote:

I've recently taken an interest in Zen Buddhism and am learning all I can about it. I don't have access to many other Buddhists where I live, so I thought maybe I could get a few of my questions answered here. I've learned the basics from online research and books, but I'd like a first-hand view of what it's like to practice Zen Buddhism.

Funny that this should be the hardest, but there was no one solitary thing that drew me. I have a friend who was Buddhist, and she helped me grasp some of the basic tenets, things like emptiness and letting go. But I knew I needed the practice to go along with the concept because they just don't work via intellect alone. I researched local temples online, various sects, and something about the Zen temple just meshed with me. So I gave it a try. They were incredibly welcoming to newcomers, and there was something about being sat down on a cushion right off that clung to me. Do first, practice first, understanding will come. Because the practice helps build understanding. Because in the West, many religions tend to be an intellectual exercise and nothing more. This was more like planting a garden. You have to just do it. It meshed with how I learned some of my best-learned lessons. It was good. Also, haiku drew me to Zen.

The self-discipline, mental discipline it teaches. The stark simplicity of it. The complexity underneath. The way it has struck home internally the way no other religion has. The mindfulness of sitting and staring at a wall for an hour. The incredible tediousness of sitting and staring at a wall for an hour. The....

Here's the thing. It is part of my life now, and a bit beyond like or dislike, if you understand what I mean. It isn't really separate any longer, and not something I really assign "like" or "dislike" to. It simply is, and I a calmer, happier, hopefully better and nicer person for it.

Ideally every day, but I've been a bit lax in that since the flood in April because I currently live with my parents (thanks economy!)and lived in the basement until the flood and now have no place to meditate. (that's part of a vastly longer story.) So I'm still trying to figure out where to sit. So ideally every day, and when I do sit duting the week, it's usually 20-30 minutes. One thing you can do is start at 10-15 and work your way up, but that is really short to get in the right frame of mind. Our temple meditation I do weekly, which is two 45-minute seated sessions with a 10-minute walking session in between.

I'm calmer, more patient, a better 'me'. things make more sense. I'm less upset by things. I laugh more. I feel more creative. I deal with people better. I feel better about myself and others. The world makes more sense.

The first bit of advice is the same one I hear my sensei give over and over. It is what the priests say over and over in talks, at tea. Sit. Just sit. If you do nothing else, meditate. Reading, studying, they have their place, but the basis for practice of Zen is meditation.. The second piece of advice I would give is to find a local temple if possible. It helps immensely to have others.

Thanks in advance!             

I wish you the best.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2013 - 7:34PM #3
Summertide

Thank you so much for your answers and insight. I'm getting a better understanding of it now, hearing from someone who practices. Thank you again and many well wishes on your path!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2013 - 12:09AM #4
Ferretling

Jun 3, 2013 -- 7:34PM, Summertide wrote:

Thank you so much for your answers and insight. I'm getting a better understanding of it now, hearing from someone who practices. Thank you again and many well wishes on your path!

Many well-wishes to you as well. Hope to hear more from you!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2013 - 3:08PM #5
nnn123

and don't forget, there are Zen centers all over the world.

you can visit one and talk with the monks and nuns there, or even possibly with the Sensei or Roshi.

here's one list:

Zen Centers Guide

www.dharmanet.org/infowebZen.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2013 - 10:05PM #6
rideronthastorm

I havnt been a good example of zen ebcause Im in and out of it but over the past year have stuck to it more plan on going to zen sittings everyday through 2nd Life if I can.

one thing you can do to learn more if your not on 2nd Life is listen to WREN zen radio station its on the net they give free Dharma talks there all the time. I love it.

Also If your in 2nd Life which is the virtual reality world for gamers where we live at insteasd of it being a game the different religions have set up Temples tehre for us to walk our charectors too then someone can give a class or a talk through the microphone of their computers and w elisten to it and in chat we can ask qeustions and respond its cool but if you dont know how to do it or if its too much like I said check out the zen radio station on the net so.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2013 - 10:07PM #7
rideronthastorm

Heres the link for its wzen sorry

wzen.org/

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2013 - 9:21AM #8
Piobair_Paganach

I can't say. I tried several different paths and meditative practices, but this is where I found a home.

The quietude.

About 30 minutes every day, but it depends upon the day (Sundays at the Zen Center may be 1:45; Monday eves 1:15 or so), and who I'm with; when my wife and I sit together, we don't sit as long.

Quieting the shitstorm in my head; developing the concious chioce of which thoughts I attend to, and which I ignore. Living transparently, just as I am, and accepting the world just as it is. Greater peace & tranquility. The nascent  signs of the Four Abodes; loving kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity.

Read Hakuin's "Chant in Praise of Zazen", and practice zazen with diligence. Learn to work with the Precepts in your life. Look for a sangha.

"Do not strive to become a Buddha.
You're only concern should be, as thought follows thought, not to cling to any of them."
Dogen

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook