Switch to Forum Live View Where do I get started?
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 12:12AM #1
jasi
So Belief-o-Matic spat out !00% match to Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism. I was raised Reform Jew but it never really sat with me. I've been a very serious minimalist since I was 6 and here I'm good deal older. Where do I go from here? Is there a modern and minimal branch of Buddhism for me? Is there a community that I can tap into to help get in touch with the spiritual without tithing and pledging and signing my soul over? TIA
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 5:15AM #2
Bob0
Possibly you should read a little about Buddhism and see if you think it is for you.

Bob
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2012 - 12:48AM #3
Ferretling

I concur with Bob0. Also, I'll note that the Belief-o-Matic is helpful, but it does have some limitations on some of its usefulness. Buddhism, even when you narrow it down to Theravada or Mahayana, is still a rather broad category, and individual branches of Buddhism within it may or may not suit you. So, once you have done some reading, if it still seems like something that resonates for you, check locally for temples or organizations. Some are very open to newcomers and will welcome you, will be glad to answer any questions you might have, etc.

I'm Zen Buddhist, and my temple, for example, accepts newcomers and provides ample opportunity to ask questions, and even has a once-a-month meditation session for beginners. It does not encourage anyone to just give up their faith and become Buddhist. In fact, there are some people who have been meditating at the Temple for years who are still members of other religions (or no religions at all).We have a university near the temple, so we often get students there who are there for comparative religion assignments. We also just get people come who, like you, want to learn more about Buddhism and are investigating the different sects. We welcome them with open arms (and a handy cushion to sit on!)

I obviously can't vouch for every temple or sangha everywhere, but I still put the suggestion out there.

Good luck on your journey.

(And also, feel free to use your resources here -- the Buddhist community on these boards.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2012 - 5:54AM #4
Bhakta_glenn

Jul 10, 2012 -- 12:12AM, jasi wrote:

So Belief-o-Matic spat out !00% match to Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism. I was raised Reform Jew but it never really sat with me. I've been a very serious minimalist since I was 6 and here I'm good deal older. Where do I go from here? Is there a modern and minimal branch of Buddhism for me? Is there a community that I can tap into to help get in touch with the spiritual without tithing and pledging and signing my soul over? TIA

Theravada Buddhism

www.satipanya.org.uk/index.php?page=audi...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2012 - 4:22PM #5
etoro

Here is the Web site for the NIchiren - Lotus School of Buddhism as practiced by the SGI an international Buddhist movement for peace culture and education.

www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/nam-myoho-renge...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook