Switch to Forum Live View understanding oneself?
2 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2012 - 10:12PM #1
JNO

What is mankind? Can one say mankind are, to put it simply, beings of such a kind that engages in trying to understand things, trying to figure stuff out, by way of thought or the so-called mind? In other words, thought is the instrument we employ in attempt to understand? But what is this we call thought? …Just as a carpenter must understand the various tools he uses to successfully execute his mission, isn’t it so that it can be very helpful to understand thought, our tool to go about executing our mission here, understanding things? But now aren’t we here in a dilemma? We need to obviously exercise thought to understand thought so that we may properly understand things, but how can we, using thought go about understanding thought properly, if we need to have understood thought properly first in order to do so? If there’s another instrument that will allow us to understand thought without having to use thought to do so, we can then use thought to properly understand things. But even if there was another instrument for that, wouldn’t we need thought to understand how to use it to understand thought? So faced with this, isn’t it a necessary question to ask is it even possible to understand thought? Can we really go about understanding ourselves properly or anything really?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 12:02PM #2
Ferretling

I think you're over-complicating and over-thinking things, actually. :)

First off, you head this thread "Understanding Oneself" but then you do not speak of understanding oneself but all mankind. If you want to understand yourself and if you want to understand mankind, it is best to start out with the self.

What is mankind? Currently Mankind is the whole of the species homo sapiens sapiens. Mankind is shaped by the past of the species, the present of the species.

Most importantly, though, how you understand mankind is how you perceive mankind. You can't look at mankind from anyone else's brain. You can only perceive it through your brain. Your mind, your thoughts, your feelings, etc. You perceive mankind this way.

So start simple. Understand yourself, and then go forwards.

Thinking and understanding are not always the same thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Oct 05, 2013 - 11:01PM #3
Jonathandj

Feb 19, 2012 -- 10:12PM, JNO wrote:

What is mankind? Can one say mankind are, to put it simply, beings of such a kind that engages in trying to understand things, trying to figure stuff out, by way of thought or the so-called mind? In other words, thought is the instrument we employ in attempt to understand? But what is this we call thought? …Just as a carpenter must understand the various tools he uses to successfully execute his mission, isn’t it so that it can be very helpful to understand thought, our tool to go about executing our mission here, understanding things? But now aren’t we here in a dilemma? We need to obviously exercise thought to understand thought so that we may properly understand things, but how can we, using thought go about understanding thought properly, if we need to have understood thought properly first in order to do so? If there’s another instrument that will allow us to understand thought without having to use thought to do so, we can then use thought to properly understand things. But even if there was another instrument for that, wouldn’t we need thought to understand how to use it to understand thought? So faced with this, isn’t it a necessary question to ask is it even possible to understand thought? Can we really go about understanding ourselves properly or anything really?

In my opinion, you might be confusing the truth you are seeking with the skillful means you use to get to the truth. Psychology or thoughts themselves are merely skillful means to acheive the ocean (oneness). If you get caught up in them Mara (the tempter who attacked Siddharta Buddha) has decieved you into thinking a mere puddle was the ocean by getting you to look at it too closely. As for the self and understanding him or her, if you think there is a self then you are still in a desert and are not yet even near the ocean (oneness) There is no self. Self and the attributes of self are what cause suffering. If there is no self then you were not born, if you were not born then you never die. What is there to be afraid of? You are free! When you find the ocean; you return to it and turn into salt water. You realize that all you are is a wave that emerges and then crashes on the beach and returns to the ocean. Self is an illusion. You are a mere manifestation of the ocean. I want to qualify my remarks. I am a Born Again Christian and so I disagree with some of the things I've shared. I've shared standard Mayahana Buddhist teaching. I hope it's helpful.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook