Switch to Forum Live View Meditation Troubles
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 12:26PM #1
Mindfulbell02
I have been meditating for nearly one year and I have some troubles. The biggest issue is that I am nowhere close to any kind of insight meditation center or sangha to learn from a teacher. I find that a lot of the growth and direction one attains is bolstered by a teacher. I think I am at a crucial time in my meditation practice where I really want to solidify it and (this sounds very American but...) get better at it!

I just get discouraged when I sit for 45 minutes and I don't really have any sense of calm or opening. It is partly a catch-22 because when I don't sleep well meditation suffers, and meditation helps me relax through the day and leads to better sleep, but I don't sleep well haha!

I know a lot of my worries and fears are about reaching some kind of goal or attaining something which is not the right attitude when one sits but still it is discouraging. I find my mind wandering more than ever and my heart pounding, and then I beat myself up if I shift my position but I can't help it because my back hurts (maybe I need a new Zafu?). I keep coming back though and the little bits of calm I do feel are wonderful and I want to open more and get insight into myself and the nature of mind but I guess it takes a lot of time!

Namaste and thanks for reading.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 4:18PM #2
Bhakta_glenn

Oct 14, 2011 -- 12:26PM, Mindfulbell02 wrote:

I have been meditating for nearly one year and I have some troubles. The biggest issue is that I am nowhere close to any kind of insight meditation center or sangha to learn from a teacher. I find that a lot of the growth and direction one attains is bolstered by a teacher. I think I am at a crucial time in my meditation practice where I really want to solidify it and (this sounds very American but...) get better at it!

I just get discouraged when I sit for 45 minutes and I don't really have any sense of calm or opening. It is partly a catch-22 because when I don't sleep well meditation suffers, and meditation helps me relax through the day and leads to better sleep, but I don't sleep well haha!

I know a lot of my worries and fears are about reaching some kind of goal or attaining something which is not the right attitude when one sits but still it is discouraging. I find my mind wandering more than ever and my heart pounding, and then I beat myself up if I shift my position but I can't help it because my back hurts (maybe I need a new Zafu?). I keep coming back though and the little bits of calm I do feel are wonderful and I want to open more and get insight into myself and the nature of mind but I guess it takes a lot of time!

Namaste and thanks for reading.

Theravada Buddhism

This website offers some helpful rescources:

www.satipanya.org.uk/index.php?page=audi...

It has an audio foundation course for Buddhism. And, it also offers audios for assisted meditation and guided meditation. Perhaps you can burn these to disc to listen to when sitting on your zafu cushion.

mahamakuta.inet.co.th/english/b-way.html

A BUDDHIST WAY
OF
MENTAL TRAINING

www.budsas.org/ebud/bud-dict/dic_idx.htm

Buddhist Dictionary
Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines,
by NYANATILOKA MAHATHERA

Whilst it is better to practise with a qualified Teacher, one may follow the advice given for Metta Bhavana [Mediation]. Bhavana is a Pali word which means [Mental Development, aka Meditation].

Metta Meditation is quite simple to do but it has very profound results. When carried out over a long period of time, it will establish a person in Buddhist Practice, even if a Teacher is not available:

www.vimokkha.com/mettabhavana.htm

Metta Bhavana [Meditation]

Metta Meditation is very helpful for sleeping peacfully and for calming the mind.

The Buddha's Teaching on Metta:

www.bodhicitta.net/Metta%20Sutra.htm

Someone I know  reads this Metta Sutta every night before retiring to bed. I have never been able to get her to develop an interest in Buddhism. However, reading this Metta Sutta before sleeping, has really helped her to sleep more peacefully.

The Benefits of Metta Meditation are to be found in the article entitled Metta Bhavana:

www.vimokkha.com/mettabhavana.htm

Dissilusionment with meditation is a normal part of development. It is called aversion. There will be times when the opposite emotion arises, when one thinks that the mediation is very good, and that some progress has been made. This is called attachment.

Attachment and aversion to meditation are just mental hindrances which do not offer any help at all.

When sitting, try to focus on a sensation at the tip of the nose, where the breath is entering and leaving.

When disslusionmanet arises, just silently note: dissilusionment, dissilusionment, disillusionment. Then return to the task of 'watching the breath'.

One can also develop mediationpractice with walking meditation:

If one can set aside a time of the day to regualry practice meditation, then one may estabich the habit of meditation. Kamma will 'drive the vehicle'. Initially, I found this to be helpful when retiring for bed:

Motivation

Silently:

"May I arise at X am, get out of bed to turn off the alarm, wash and dress, and carry out my morning meditation practice x 3

Set aside a period of 30 minutes.

Resolve to sit for 5 minutes within this period of 30 minutes.

Using a notebook: When the task is complete, record the day, the date and teh fact that you have completed sitting meditation for five minutes.

Do this for two weeks.

Then resolve to sit for 10 minutes within the period of 30 minutes.

Using a notebook: When the task is complete, record the day, the date and teh fact that you have completed sitting meditation for ten minutes.

Do this for two weeks.

Then resolve to sit for 15 minutes within the period of 30 minutes.

Using a notebook: When the task is complete, record the day, the date and teh fact that you have completed sitting meditation for fifteeen minutes.

Do this for two weeks.

Then resolve to sit for 20 minutes wthin the period of 30 minutes.

Using a notebook: When the task is complete, record the day, the date and teh fact that you have completed sitting meditation for twenty minutes.

Do this for two weeks.

Then resolve to sit for 25 minutes within the period of 30 minutes.

Using a notebook: When the task is complete, record the day, the date and teh fact that you have completed sitting meditation for twenty-five minutes.

Do this for two weeks

Then resolve to sit for 30 mintues wihtin the period of 30 minutes.

Using a notebook: When the task is complete, record the day, the date and teh fact that you have completed sitting meditation for five minutes.

Accept 30 minutes as a resonable time for meditation.

In Asian culture, if a person's  volition is sincere, then it may be recited three times. This ensures that th emotivationarises form the heart into the concious mind as Right Thought

Buddhism offers a Path of Purification. This article, entitled Paths of Purification gives one a simple road map:

www.bbvt.org.uk/Paths%20of%20purificatio...

Whilst the Theory and Practice of Buddhism is given in this short piece:

www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/nubuddhi.h...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 9:50PM #3
Inedible

When you meditate, you are probably keeping some of your focus on your breathing and watching your thoughts. My guess is that you are watching your breath at the tip of your nose or on your upper lip.  Doing this - keeping your attention in your head - can lead to tension, headaches, and a more rapid heartbeat. By shifting your focus to your belly you can slow down bodily processes and avoid the increased tension. Being aware of your position within gravity can help. Be aware of sitting on your meditation cushion and of any contact with the floor, and of being supported. By having a more grounded meditation process - more of your attention on the physical senses - you can let your thoughts wind down on their own.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook