3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 2:54PM #1
Jupiter6208
What are the differences between Zen and Tibetan Meditation?
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 1:04PM #2
etoro

Meditation is a very broad term. Look it up in wikipedia and you will see how broad it is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

Although I am Buddhist and practice Buddhism in the form proposed by the Lotus Sutra with respect to the repreated expressions or chanting of its essential principle, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo or devotion to the mystic law of causality as taught by Nichiren, I suspect that meditation itself is an advanced cognitive process which is rooted in the volitions of the mind itself, the power to contemplate the nature, meaning, distinctions and similarities of objects and the power to assign sound symbols to each object that is detected by the cognitive system itself and on and on, semantics, syntax, semiotics. Meditation itself appears to be a post secondary stage of cognitive development in which the cognating species is able to contemplate the very functions and purposes of cognition itself employing various methods in the process of doing so. Meditation appears to be the contemplation of the very forces which produce thoughts and finding ways to transcend them aka an excercise leading to the manifestation of the higher and more subtle being within us.  Transcending time and place.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 3:29PM #3
RenGalskap
Hi Jupiter, I've been meaning to respond and keep forgetting.

Zen is a term with several meanings. It can refer to forms of Chan Buddhism practiced in Japan (Zen is the Japanese form of the word Chan), or it can refer to the family of traditions originating in China and currently practiced in China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and other countries.

Tibetan Buddhism is all the different forms of Buddhism practiced in Tibet. Not only are there several different schools of Buddhism, but each school has several forms of meditation.

So, there is no single form of Zen meditation, and no single form of Tibetan meditation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 10:44AM #4
Jupiter6208
Well I guess I need to clarify what I mean I have read that zen meditation  involves counting your breaths and empty mind with your eyes slightly open, Is Tibetan meditation any different?
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2011 - 2:07PM #5
nnn123

I am enclosing a few links to some Buddhist meditation practices below.  I think there is a difference between the approach of Tibetan Buddhism and that of Zen Buddhism.  Generally, I don't think differences are all that important, the important thing is that you, yourself, enter into meditation practice and learn from that process directly.

Generally, I would say that Zen meditation practice is a little more, let us say, standard.  If you are wondering about what meditation technique to practice, I would start with a more standard technique first, before trying something else.  I don't know if I am expressing this well...but that would be my suggestion.

My ultimate suggestion for beginning meditation practice would be to start with what they call "just sitting" meditation and do that for a few months at least, before beginning another practice.

Gassho

Zen Mountain Monastery Meditation Instructions

www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

+++++

Buddhist Meditation #1:

www.freemeditations.com/buddhist_meditat...

+++

Buddhist Meditation #2:

www.freemeditations.com/buddhist_breath_...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook