Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2011 - 10:05AM #1
Jupiter6208
I'm interested in Buddhism and what are your thoughts on SGI-USA would this be a way to go or not, i also like zen.

Thank you. 
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2011 - 6:32PM #2
etoro

The SGI-USA is the American affiliate of the SGI International.  The SGI is a global movement for world peace based on the teachings of Nichiren.  Nichiren was the single individual who embraced the highest teaching of the Buddha and fullfilled the mandate of the Lotus Sutra. SGI members are all disciples of Nichiren and follow his teachings and practice to the letter. Itg is an awesome spiritual movement, unlike any other in the world.  We practice the true teachings of Mahayana Buddhism aka Lotus Sutra. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. WWW.SGI.org 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2011 - 8:48PM #3
Jupiter6208

I looked at the SGI-USA Website interesting  it reminds me of the Buddhist version of  a Christian Mega-Church  not to say thats bad  but i guess it's a matter of taste.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 12:05AM #4
etoro

Jul 23, 2011 -- 8:48PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I looked at the SGI-USA Website interesting  it reminds me of the Buddhist version of  a Christian Mega-Church  not to say thats bad  but i guess it's a matter of taste.

Yes I understand your reaction.  But your reaction is a reflection of your own preconcieved view of things and you are basing your view on very superficial reasoning.  Have you seen the global web site, SGI.org? 

Learning about the world of Buddhism requires that you clear your mind of preconceptions.  You must proceed with a completely open mind. The Buddha wisdom is powerful and subtle far beyond the common thought processes of the average person. 

Just so you understand there is no concept of a supreme God in Buddhism.  The SGI is a successful religious movement because it is grounded in the profound principles of Nichiren Buddhism, the philosophy of the Lotus Sutra, aka Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, the mystic law of cause and effect.

Nichiren was a revolutionary figure in the world of East Asian Buddhism back in the 13th century.  He was successful at unlocking the profound principles of the Lotus Sutra through his wisdom and actions; the Buddha's highest teaching, thereby fullfillng its prophesy and creating a universal form of true Buddhism available to all persons regardless of background culture and individual capacity.  This has always been the true goal of the Buddha. The success of the the SGI in Japan  and around the world has to do with the events of the 20th century, and the creation of a democratic society with freedom of religion.  The SGI is now in 192 countries and territories around the world and a member of the UNited Nations as an NGO.

You should continue studying the tenets of Nichiren Buddhism and learn more about the reasons why we enjoy great unity within a diverse society our organizationa and goals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 10:44AM #5
Jupiter6208
Thank you I will do that, how long have you practiced Nichiren/ Soka Gakki?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 5:45PM #6
etoro

I have been practicing with the SGI for nearly three decades. The SGI is now a very united global grass roots spiritual movement spanning 192 countries and territories now arising out of the ashes of world war two Japan on the basis of the wisdom and practice of Nichiren Buddhism (www.SGI.org) . The grass roots members of Nichiren Buddhism enter into and draw from the deepest dimension of life within themselves through the practice of Nichiren Buddhism; that is the Buddha nature, the ultimate source of Buddha's wisdom. 

Nichiren (in the 13th century Japan) discovered that the ultimate teaching of the Buddha was to be found in the Lotus Sutra.  He put all of his teachings into written form in the form of letters and treatises directed at his disciples and the Buddhist and political leaders of his time. The following is one of his most deepest teachings - here ----> (www.sgilibrary.org/pdf/039_0354.pdf).  This writing for example reveals Nichirens insight into the Buddha Mandala that is revealed by the Buddha at the core of the Buddha's revelation section of the Lotus Sutra (Chapters 15 through 17).

The writing is actually very complex. My providing it for you in this rather crass way is simply to capture your curiosity so that you can become more aware of the need to learn and study  the principles of Buddhism, principles that in the end are extremely complex regarding the true nature of life and the mind. In this way I am seeking simply to get you to develop a more respectful and reverential mind towards the Buddha's teachings and the wisdom that underlies the SGI movement. In another writing he delves further into the profundity of the Mandala or Gohonzon (jap) here ---->   (www.sgilibrary.org/pdf/101_0831.pdf). 

I am sharing these profound teachings with you because in the practice of Nichiren Buddhism as practiced in the SGI there is nothing hidden, remote or obscure.  Nichiren's goal is to awaken the Buddha wisdom in all people through the correct practice of Buddhism. The Soka Gakkai represents the followers of Nichiren in this modern age who seek to fullfill NIchiren's goal of securing the peace of the land through the awakening of the Buddha's highest teaching within all people.  . 

Yet it is important to understand from the outset that all schools of Buddhism apart from Nichiren do not embrace the teaching of the Lotus Sutra in its literal form the way Nichiren does. The Buddha in the Lotus Sutra makes explicit statements which reveals that all of the teachings he had taught until that moment were actually theoretical in principle. This is because the Buddha's actual enlightenment itself was not transferrable through the pre-existing thought processes of the common people.  

The thoughts of human beings are generally engendered by a chain of pre-existing manifested conditions (other interrelated things) as evidenced by our own appearance within pre-existing conditions. Therefore our thoughts do not penetrate to the realm of the ultimate cause of all phenomena. The Buddha practiced all the major non-Buddhist religions of his time and found them deficient in explaining the ultimate reality of life. Each human being is born with a pre-existing packet of potential states all in a precursory state of being.  As circumstances arise over the course of birth, maturation, decline and disintegration our karmic tendencies both positive and negative arise in response to events. Since we are naturally fearfull of the realm of non-existence (by virtue of our own connectedness through pre-existing conditions) and the forces (volitions) which lead to the disintegration of ourselves and all things to which we are inherently connected, we resort to actions which contravene the true reality of life. This causes us to fall into further suffering upon further suffering. This grasping of already manifested and therefore transient things causes a sense of dread and foreboding at the base of our lives. We cling to the temporary and can not grasp the essence of things that is permanently abiding. This true reality can only be grasped within the inner aspect of our selves.  The aspect which is ever reproducing itself into all existence.  This aspect is called the true aspect of all phenomena. NIchiren taught that the true aspect of all pheneomena is the wonderous law of the simultaneity of cause and effect better known as the Lotus Sutra aka Sad - Dharma - Pundarika - Sutra or Myoho Renge Kyo.

In the Lotus Sutra the Buddha reveals that his awareness into the eternity of life is derived from having been awakened since the infinite past and having devoted himself unceasingly to the correct way of the Sad Dharma Pundarika Sutra. This is known as the correct Law of the Buddha.

The Buddha also taught that all living beings are actually manifestations of this same universal law of cause and effect but that the only difference is that their lives are unawakened to the wisdom regarding this fundamental law of all beingness. See here (www.sgilibrary.org/pdf/029_0216.pdf).

In this writing I have pointed to the most profound teachings of Buddhism for you. Now all you need to do is put it into practice for yourself to becone absolutely happy.    

est principle of source of the Buddha wisdom benefit from the exalted spiritual space that is the wisdom of the essential principle of the Lotus Sutra.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2011 - 2:25AM #7
Bob_the_Lunatic

I would say that SGI is a good place to start.  However, I would also point out that it is an organization-that is, a group of people. 

Thus to make a statement like "They practice Buddhism to the letter" or follow Nichiren's principles "to the letter" is a bit bold and beyond idealistic. 

I've been a member of SGI-USA for 20 years and I've seen many HUMAN qualities there-that is errors.  These are people, they make mistakes.  I've met senior leaders that made claims that completely contradict what the gosho says, other high level leaders that don't even know the 10 worlds....  So let's not get carried away with concepts of "perfection" in a philosphy that rightly says perfection is not achievable-thus the secondary practice being Gongyo, which means "assiduous practice" or NEVER ENDING practice.  That's the point, we are never done improving in Buddhism. 

So sure-go check out SGI-but stick to the Gosho and the Ongi Kuden (writings and oral transmissions of Nichiren).  Plenty of propaganda in any organization, SGI is not immuned.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2011 - 11:05AM #8
etoro

Aug 8, 2011 -- 2:25AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

I would say that SGI is a good place to start.  However, I would also point out that it is an organization-that is, a group of people. 

Thus to make a statement like "They practice Buddhism to the letter" or follow Nichiren's principles "to the letter" is a bit bold and beyond idealistic. 

I've been a member of SGI-USA for 20 years and I've seen many HUMAN qualities there-that is errors.  These are people, they make mistakes.  I've met senior leaders that made claims that completely contradict what the gosho says, other high level leaders that don't even know the 10 worlds....  So let's not get carried away with concepts of "perfection" in a philosphy that rightly says perfection is not achievable-thus the secondary practice being Gongyo, which means "assiduous practice" or NEVER ENDING practice.  That's the point, we are never done improving in Buddhism. 

So sure-go check out SGI-but stick to the Gosho and the Ongi Kuden (writings and oral transmissions of Nichiren).  Plenty of propaganda in any organization, SGI is not immuned.

Bob, your comment above simply reflects your own mind and inner karma. I my comment above I stated the following, 

"The Soka Gakkai represents the followers of Nichiren in this modern  age who seek to fullfill NIchiren's goal of securing the peace of the  land through the awakening of the Buddha's highest teaching within all  people."

This is what it means to folow Nichiren's teaching to the letter.  This is exactlt what the members of the Soka Gakkai are organized to accomplish. It doea not mean that we are perfect or even close to it. Nor do we have to be perfect or have perfect knowledge of Buddhism.  There are numerous letters where Nichiren states that his disciples come from among the people of the latter day of the law, people who carry the stains of the five impurities. The people of the SGI are as perfectly imperfect as the rest of humanity.  There are also letter in which Nichiren makes clear we will still gain benefit from this practice even if we practice with a distracted and wandering mind. There is also the comment which states, "the higher the teaching the lower the person it can save."

The Soka Gakkai is an organization where people have gathered to pursue the propogation of the mystic law and to spread it widely among the people of the world just as Nichiren mandated. In this respect the organization practices Nichiren Buddhism to the letter. The fact that we are also impure is simply tangential to the activity at hand. In the course of practicing sincerely those who do so experience inner growth, self development, wisdom and transformation of their lives in total.  I am living proof of this fact. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2011 - 11:51AM #9
Bob_the_Lunatic

I see, I'm glad my post is simple.  I would point out that the idea that if we propagate the Mystic Law is simple, then so does the priesthood propagate the Mystic Law, so does Hokkeko, so does Nichiren Shu,  and so on. 

Now Soka Gakkai teaches that this is not the case.  This implies that what we believe matters, not just what sutra or mantra we propagate.  So if SGI has strayed from the correct teaching-suddenly it is no longer a simple issue with us either. 

And of course both our posts reflect our minds and Soka Gakkai reflects both of us.  I have no doubts that for many years, SGI was the  only one carrying out the mandate-but I do not see that this is the case anymore.  Now it appears we water down Buddhism and it has become something else. 

And if you were currently living proof-then you'd have had a profound impact on me.  Living Proof is in the moment you live it-not in another moment. 

Soka Gakkai is no different than a single entity.  I can awaken, and I can fall asleep again, and I can awaken again.  SGI is the same-so you should consider that it too can fall asleep-it too can wander, it too can be wrong and claim to be accomplishing Kosen Rufu when in reality it might be pushing something else.

If you understand the "fallability" remark as you claim to -then you understand this is competely true.  SGI by its own accord is not infallable.  SGI has done the most of any group for the propagation of the Law, but where it is now is all that matters at any given point in time. 

Lastly-to make the statement you did is precisely a reflection of the type of thing I speak of-if I see a problem in SGI, well, it must just be in my own mind.  Almost sounds like a christian cult remark "don't question".   Except it's replaced with "oh, you're just deluded".   Same thing though..... that's not how it used to be and denial will never get us a step closer to Kosen Rufu.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2011 - 6:27PM #10
Jupiter6208

There is a lot of negitivity surrounding SGI for sure but then a lot of people swear by it  Tina Turner from what i have read has Practised it for around 35 years and it seems to have worked for her  so who's to say like everything else...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook