Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
6 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2011 - 5:01AM #11
Bob_the_Lunatic

Aug 10, 2011 -- 6:27PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

There is a lot of negitivity surrounding SGI for sure but then a lot of people swear by it  Tina Turner from what i have read has Practised it for around 35 years and it seems to have worked for her  so who's to say like everything else...

Well-not to be semantical but I think it's appropriate:  SGI is not a practice, Nichiren Buddhism is.  SGI is an organization of people.  Nichiren Buddhism is true and SGI definitely helps at times with this practice.  I think in the olden days, SGI was in rhythm with this practice so the statement might make more sense to me historically. 

For example-I talk about respect.  When I see a high level SGI leader doing Gongyo slumped down in his chair, with his feet sticking out in front of him, slouched all casual as if performing a formality or listening to a high school lecture on calculus after lunch... I don't think he is practicing correctly.  If he is a leader, he all the more represents SGI.  So I guess even basic respect for the Gohonzon is just a "formality" now.

When I see a high level leader who doesn't even know the 10 worlds...  I question their ability to be responsible for other members in their practice.  I could go on, but again, it wasn't like this in the old days.

Back to your point:  Tina Turner seems to have a very good practice and this is an individual practice.  She is a well known member of SGI-USA.  I too swear by this practice, but I don't swear by SGI as I don't really understand what it is or where it is heading these days. 

But the practice is true, and I will always keep this faith.  I renounced all my leadership positions in SGI when I had enough and I am lucky that I was "raised" by a leader who taught me the way I speak to you-that the doctrine (GOSHO) is true and that this Buddhism is true, but SGI is still people, and there are problems.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 12:01PM #12
Jupiter6208

Aug 11, 2011 -- 5:01AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Aug 10, 2011 -- 6:27PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

There is a lot of negitivity surrounding SGI for sure but then a lot of people swear by it  Tina Turner from what i have read has Practised it for around 35 years and it seems to have worked for her  so who's to say like everything else...

Well-not to be semantical but I think it's appropriate:  SGI is not a practice, Nichiren Buddhism is.  SGI is an organization of people.  Nichiren Buddhism is true and SGI definitely helps at times with this practice.  I think in the olden days, SGI was in rhythm with this practice so the statement might make more sense to me historically. 

For example-I talk about respect.  When I see a high level SGI leader doing Gongyo slumped down in his chair, with his feet sticking out in front of him, slouched all casual as if performing a formality or listening to a high school lecture on calculus after lunch... I don't think he is practicing correctly.  If he is a leader, he all the more represents SGI.  So I guess even basic respect for the Gohonzon is just a "formality" now.

When I see a high level leader who doesn't even know the 10 worlds...  I question their ability to be responsible for other members in their practice.  I could go on, but again, it wasn't like this in the old days.

Back to your point:  Tina Turner seems to have a very good practice and this is an individual practice.  She is a well knto presureown member of SGI-USA.  I too swear by this practice, but I don't swear by SGI as I don't really understand what it is or where it is heading these days. 

But the practice is true, and I will always keep this faith.  I renounced all my leadership positions in SGI when I had enough and I am lucky that I was "raised" by a leader who taught me the way I speak to you-that the doctrine (GOSHO) is true and that this Buddhism is true, but SGI is still people, and there are problems.

So Hypothetically speaking if i wanted to pursue Nichiren Buddhism Should i advoid SGI and practise indpendently?  would i need to obtain an altar with a Gohonzon?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 11:11PM #13
Bob_the_Lunatic

Sep 4, 2011 -- 12:01PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

So Hypothetically speaking if i wanted to pursue Nichiren Buddhism Should i advoid SGI and practise indpendently?  would i need to obtain an altar with a Gohonzon?

Sorry Jupiter-I didn't mean to blow you off, I just noticed your question.

I would not say avoid SGI, it is an excellent resource.   But recognize there is some dogma there.  I WOULD join SGI, but I would focus on the Gosho (Nichiren's writings) and I would purchase the book "Fundamentals of Buddhism" by Yasuji Kirimura.  I recently got a copy of it on ebay for $2.00.  You can also check amazon, and alibris.  Don't take everything other members say at face value.

For example, I once heard a high ranking YMD leader say "Well, you can't be happy in prison."  This was remarkable, as the 2nd  president of SGI, Josei Toda is said to have obtained his enlightenment in prison, and I believe it.  Further, it goes against fundamental principles here.... it basically says that Ichinen Sanzen, our core theory, is false.  Obviously this young man did not know the basic theory of our philosophy.  Point being-leaders are sometimes clueless, so don't assume they know what they are talking about.  

Further, it is good to learn how to practice with others-for example learning the proper rhythm and pronunciation of Gongyo (although, you should pay close attention to the instructions, ie how to pronounce, beats on specific characters, etc.  I've seen many 30 year practitioners who don't even pronounce the Daimoku (the primary chanting practice) properly... 

And I believe they chant less.  A good rule of thumb is to chant until you feel good.

When I began, Gohonzon could not be received through SGI for 2 years (due to split with priesthood).  Your life IS the Gohonzon, so you may begin practicing today.  Focus your eyes on a spot on the wall and chant, rhythmically.  

Anyway, feel free to IM me with any questions so I don't miss anymore :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 7:33PM #14
Jupiter6208

LOL No Worries actually i forgot about it i found Nicherin Buddhism  interesting.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 9:09AM #15
christine3

BobtheLunatic,

Hi there, a lot of good advice!  I used to be in an organization, and although we each had our individual work to do on ourselves, the group was very stressful.  I think all groups are stressful because we all have egos.  Some of us get hurt badly in these groups.  My step daughter just left a group because it was so mind controlling.  Not to say that it was all negative.  Spiritual organizations do have teachings as their mainstay and people should take what they need, and can stay or leave when they want.  When groups tell you bad things will happen to you if you leave, that's when it has crossed the barrier and turned into a cult.  Any group is capable of having cult mentality, mega large or just a few people.  

What I don't like about organized groups whose members become entrenched in the group mentality, is that they are very quick to judge others who they consider outsiders.  People in groups will even judge others inside the groups to be outsiders as compared to them for reasons, for instance, they don't read the books enough, they don't meditate enough, or they are just not enough in and of themselves.  That's why I don't join groups anymore.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 4:32PM #16
Bob_the_Lunatic

Feb 17, 2012 -- 9:09AM, christine3 wrote:

BobtheLunatic,

Hi there, a lot of good advice!  I used to be in an organization, and although we each had our individual work to do on ourselves, the group was very stressful.  I think all groups are stressful because we all have egos.  Some of us get hurt badly in these groups.  My step daughter just left a group because it was so mind controlling.  Not to say that it was all negative.  Spiritual organizations do have teachings as their mainstay and people should take what they need, and can stay or leave when they want.  When groups tell you bad things will happen to you if you leave, that's when it has crossed the barrier and turned into a cult.  Any group is capable of having cult mentality, mega large or just a few people.  

What I don't like about organized groups whose members become entrenched in the group mentality, is that they are very quick to judge others who they consider outsiders.  People in groups will even judge others inside the groups to be outsiders as compared to them for reasons, for instance, they don't read the books enough, they don't meditate enough, or they are just not enough in and of themselves.  That's why I don't join groups anymore.

Well, I believe the doctrine is flawless.  But human beings are fallible, and all organizations are made up of human beings.  So only a fool takes everything at face value, nods and parrots....

I like many parts of SGI's organization, but have also had bad experiences and as I said-found leaders contradicting core teachings or preaching materialism.  

I am fortunate, I had an experience and knew this Buddhism was true, prior to ever going to one SGI meeting-so I was very protected.  However, I did not run into any problems for at least a year in SGI.  It's just important to remember to separate the practice of Buddhism from some of the behaviors of believers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 4:54PM #17
christine3

Feb 17, 2012 -- 4:32PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

It's just important to remember to separate the practice of Buddhism from some of the behaviors of believers.

Yes I understand.  You sound like you know a lot, are level-headed, grounded.  I actually am going to stick around the Buddhist posts and learn what I can learn.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2012 - 8:03PM #18
Bob_the_Lunatic

Feb 17, 2012 -- 4:54PM, christine3 wrote:

Feb 17, 2012 -- 4:32PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

It's just important to remember to separate the practice of Buddhism from some of the behaviors of believers.

Yes I understand.  You sound like you know a lot, are level-headed, grounded.  I actually am going to stick around the Buddhist posts and learn what I can learn.

And I'll continue to throw buckets of paint on any militant, fanatical atheists :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook