Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Mala/Prayer Beads in Theravada?
8 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2010 - 2:16PM #1
Buddha2be

I was curious about the use of prayer beads in the Theravada tradition. I have never seen any Theravada monks or nuns with them in pictures. I have read Pali Prayers that are too long for chanting on each bead. Does anyone know if Theravada Buddhists use them and if so please recommend some mantras?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2012 - 2:50PM #2
Sambhudas

As far as I know, Theravada Monks rarely use malas if at all.  Using malas was borrowed from Hinduism in order to perform "Japa" (counting a certain number of mantras) and was not really a part of the Buddha's original teachings.  In Theravada Buddhism saying mantras per say is not a part of their practices.  Theravada Monks do perform chanting but these chants are not like mantras, which have a different rythmn and intent.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2012 - 7:57PM #3
Mettawisdom

Hi.  When I was a monk in Thailand I saw several monks with beads and a few monks actually gave me some.  How it was explained to me was that it was used to count as a form of meditation.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook