Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Mahayana and Theravada?
8 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2009 - 4:37PM #1
Buddha2be

I am a practicing Buddhist in the Mahayana Tibetan Vajrayana tradition. I love all of the Buddhist sects and sub sects. I am visiting Laos and Thailand next summer and would like to know the main differences between Mahayana and Theravada before I go. Please give me typed information and any books you can recommend that are strictly about Theravada Buddhism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2009 - 11:25PM #2
RenGalskap
Hi, B2b.

If you are looking for a book on Theravada teaching, I can recommend In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Bhikkhu Bodhi is a well known scholar and translator. He explains the Buddha's teachings on various topics and then gives excerpts from the Pali suttas that illustrate his explanations.

For a more general view of Theravada, there's Theravada Buddhism: A Social History from Ancient Benares to Modern Colombo, by Richard Gombrich. Gombrich is also a respected scholar, and the book is just what the title says.

HTH :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2009 - 3:55AM #3
Bob0

The collected teachings of Ajahn Chah "Food For the Heart" (Wisdom Publications) is a good collection of teachings from the Theravada Forest Monk Ajahn Chah. The Forest Monks originated in Northeastern Thailand around the Ubon area.

"Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?" is another great read from Ajahn Brahm, an Englishman, who was trained in Northeast Thailand under Ajahn Chah.

www.forestmeditation.com/teachings/teach... Here is a good grouping of teachings by various forest Monks, all Theravada.  

And there is always the access to insight web site that is a basic Theravada site with a wealth of information. www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bull...  

When you get to Laos and Thailand try to talk with the locals about Buddhism. What I found was a collection of folkways, ancestor worship and tales of ghosts, but little talk of the Four Nobel Truths. I found them most interesting. Most all are Buddhists. Buddha is that guy they pray to for good luck in accumulating stuff and for good health. They are social Buddhists much in the manner that most in the US are social Christians.  

Wishing you a great trip,

Bob

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 12:29PM #4
Bhakta_glenn

Sep 27, 2009 -- 4:37PM, Buddha2be wrote:

I am a practicing Buddhist in the Mahayana Tibetan Vajrayana tradition. I love all of the Buddhist sects and sub sects. I am visiting Laos and Thailand next summer and would like to know the main differences between Mahayana and Theravada before I go. Please give me typed information and any books you can recommend that are strictly about Theravada Buddhism.

www.mahamakuta.inet.co.th/english/b-way....

A BUDDHIST WAY
OF
MENTAL TRAINING

by

Ven. Phra Tepvisuddhikavi
(Pichitr Thitavanno)
Lord Abbot of Wat Somanasvihara

and

Ex-Vice Rector for Academic Affairs,
Lecturer in Buddhism
Mahamakut Buddhist University
Bangkok, Thailand
B.E. 2543 / A.D. 2000

This book makes for fairly easy reading and is written by Thai authors with Theravadin Buddhist Practice in mind.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2010 - 3:17PM #5
Buddha2be

Thank You All for the info. Due to the violence in Thailand my trip has been changed to Cambodia and Laos. I leave on July 27th. I hope to learn more on Buddhism from the monks and locals that I meet.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook