Switch to Forum Live View Trouble focusing on... anything!
5 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2009 - 3:37PM #1
Dolphinea

I've been meditating for 19 years.  I've been on hiatus for the past couple of years, after a very intense period of practice and retreats followed by very major life upheavals.

I'm intending to get back to a daily practice, but when I sit, I find it really hard to know what to be doing.  I've done all sorts of stuff, from basic shamatha to some pretty advanced practices.

It doesn't help that, for the first time in 19 years, I am falling asleep EVERY time I sit.

I'd go back to watching a point on the tip of my nose where I feel my breath, like the good old days, but of course that breaks down into infinitely smaller points of contact.

It's like I have no idea where to look or where to put my attention.

Anyone else been here?  Tips?

~Amanda

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2009 - 5:50PM #2
Han-sen

Amanda: You mindset has somehow become motivated by a results oriented process. Maybe just forget results and such for now? Sit just to be sitting. Observe the breath as you do, however it comes. Maybe get up and do walking meditation. You know left-left-left-right-left. Or just stand with the eyes open and breathe to the mala beads, 108 beads takes about 10 minutes. You are fatigued, exhausted. But you can still practice. Tell us what works.

s i n c e r e

h a n s e n

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook