Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View The Illusion of Self Nature
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 2:54AM #11
daniel

This is my personal view and i take responsibilty for myself.

The word "I" does not exist. The self does not exist. Everything is Infinite. There is no self, You can never find the self simply because it does not exist. This is just an experience that Infinite Consciousness is playing out. We are all one, there is no "you" or "me", this is an illusion. There is no point of awareness, there is no centre which is you. Tell me, if you perceive you, then what is the one perceiving that? It will be an infinite cycle, unless you realise that there is no self. If you search, you will be looking for something that is not there. Why search, when you just are? What you think is what you will experience, and it will manifest. We are all One, we are all Infinite Consciousness experiencing itself in seperation as many of us. The best word I can describe this as is a Hologram.

I wish you all Love. I hope you understand what I mean. If you are reading this, you pulled yourself towards for a reason, synchronized. Peace to all, Love and Light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 12:12PM #12
etoro

Thats nice Daniel but in the final analysis, any attempt at describing the true aspect of life ends up being onesided and partial in their expression.  You can say that we are all infinite consciousness expressing itself as separate entities but each of us feels compelled from the depth of our being to preserve, protect and promote this so called "fleeting self". 

The truth is there are many aspects to our being but in the final analysis the Mahayana describes the true self as the "threefold contemplation in a single mind".  This entails the oneness of the three truths; the truth of temporary existence, the truth of nonsubstantiality and the truth of the Middleway. When we consider all the themes of the Buddha's discourse, said to encompass 84,000 teachngs, they either teach from one or another of these three truths or from the standpoint of their unity in a single mind. 

Peace

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 4:04AM #13
sgi_chris

Why did the Buddha Negate the principles of the self? Primarily to teach people to not be attached. However, I believe that this aspect was taken to far. The Self in Buddhism can be split. The lesser self we have built since the beginingless past is a culmination of negative karma and experiences that have formed itself into a identity that is negative, seeks external gratification as the Ultimate Answer, it feels seperate from the Universe, and doubts ones and other Buddha-natures. However, our Essential or Greater Self is our innate Buddha-nature.

Did the Lotus Sutra bring in back? Well, I never knew of it being taken away. It depends on how you are seeing the self. If you are seeing it as the Western Religious Soul theory, that was never introduced into Buddhism to begin with, as Buddhism started 1500 years before Christ. Brahmanism saw the Self, as a piece of the Unchanging Substance that was reincarnated or went back into God. Nichiren mentions that his "soul" is Myoho-renge-kyo. 

The Buddha’s will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

[No.45, Page 412, col 1, paragraph 3, Content]

What does it mean? All things are manifest of the Law and the Law is manifest of all things. The Mutual Possession of the 3000 realms in a single moment of life is our "self." Our greater self is the Amala conciseness that we tap into when we chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. Its is wonderfully the source of existence of all things and all things are evidence of its existence. 

My source for believing this and living it is the Lotus Sutra. 

For these sons of the Buddha
I preach this sutra of the Great Vehicle.
And I predict that these persons
in a future existence will attain the Buddha way.
Because deep in their minds they think of the Buddha
and practice and uphold the pure percepts,
they are assured they will attain Buddhahood,
and hearing this, their whole bodies are filled with great joy.
The Buddha knows their minds and their practices
and therefore preaches for them the Great Vehicle.
When the voice-hearers and bodhisattvas
hear this Law that I preach,
as soon as they have heard one verse
they will all without doubt be certain of attaining Buddhahood.
In the Buddha lands of the ten directions
there is only the Law of the one vehicle,
there are not two, there are not three,

The Lotus is the Foremost among all sutras preached, being preach, and will be preached. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2010 - 8:17AM #14
Engyo

Hi, Chris -

There are two things I always try to keep in mind about this.  The first is that the Buddha never said there is NO self; he said there is no PERMANENT UNCHANGING self.  Most people seem to either overlook or forget that part of the equation.

The other thing I keep in mind is T'ien-T'a's Middle way, between no(t)-self and self.

Namaste, Engyo

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 12:38PM #15
etoro

Yes the middle way is the correct view.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 1:10PM #16
etoro

Jul 18, 2010 -- 4:04AM, sgi_chris wrote:

Why did the Buddha Negate the principles of the self? Primarily to teach people to not be attached. However, I believe that this aspect was taken to far. The Self in Buddhism can be split. The lesser self we have built since the beginingless past is a culmination of negative karma and experiences that have formed itself into a identity that is negative, seeks external gratification as the Ultimate Answer, it feels seperate from the Universe, and doubts ones and other Buddha-natures. However, our Essential or Greater Self is our innate Buddha-nature.

Did the Lotus Sutra bring in back? Well, I never knew of it being taken away. It depends on how you are seeing the self. If you are seeing it as the Western Religious Soul theory, that was never introduced into Buddhism to begin with, as Buddhism started 1500 years before Christ. Brahmanism saw the Self, as a piece of the Unchanging Substance that was reincarnated or went back into God. Nichiren mentions that his "soul" is Myoho-renge-kyo. 

The Buddha’s will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

[No.45, Page 412, col 1, paragraph 3, Content]

What does it mean? All things are manifest of the Law and the Law is manifest of all things. The Mutual Possession of the 3000 realms in a single moment of life is our "self." Our greater self is the Amala conciseness that we tap into when we chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. Its is wonderfully the source of existence of all things and all things are evidence of its existence. 

My source for believing this and living it is the Lotus Sutra. 

For these sons of the Buddha
I preach this sutra of the Great Vehicle.
And I predict that these persons
in a future existence will attain the Buddha way.
Because deep in their minds they think of the Buddha
and practice and uphold the pure percepts,
they are assured they will attain Buddhahood,
and hearing this, their whole bodies are filled with great joy.
The Buddha knows their minds and their practices
and therefore preaches for them the Great Vehicle.
When the voice-hearers and bodhisattvas
hear this Law that I preach,
as soon as they have heard one verse
they will all without doubt be certain of attaining Buddhahood.
In the Buddha lands of the ten directions
there is only the Law of the one vehicle,
there are not two, there are not three,

The Lotus is the Foremost among all sutras preached, being preach, and will be preached. 

Yes the Lotus Sutra is a truly profound doctrine. Much thought has been given over the thousands of years of Buddhist practice by a vast number of emminent persons across Asia and possibly elsewhere back in the dayregarding the meaning of this sutra.  And while all the Buddhist sutras are great teachings of life and reality the Lotus Sutra embodies the Buddha's true purpose and true teaching.  This teaching is the wisdom of the Sat-Dharma, the Buddha Dharma and the Dharma as embodied and taught by the Buddha.

The word Dharma itself is a general concept by which any skilled teacher can claim to teach.  This is why what is most important in distinguishing the true universal Dharma from partial Dharmas consists of the the truths of temporary existence, nonsubstantiality and the middleway and the three forms of proof. These are the theoretical, the documentary and the actual proof.  Of these three the most distinct is the actual proof.  What is actual proof?  Actual proof in the final analysis consists of complete and total victory in one's life where pure goodness, peace and justice prevail as manifestations of the essence of one's intentions. Therefore living a full natural lifespan are among the things we identify with goodness, peace and justice.

For the great teacher Nichiren, the votary of the Lotus Sutra, this Dharma is embodied in the phrase Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.  It is the expression of the supreme Dharma that is in total rythm with the very law and functions of the universe itself, the true relationshsip between the inner experience and the outer environment.  

When we consider these concepts, "the inner experience and the outer environment" we find that within the inner most depth of life there is no one particle or substance that can be called "the self" that is experiencing reality as it is.  The self is actually a manifestation of the totality of a living being. The living beings itself is a functioning product of reality that is born from within a planetary environment whose very existence itself derives from the functions and product of stars. Stars are themselves products of the universal reality. This universal reality has no beginning and no end. It just simply is what it is. Therefore life is simply a product of the universal laws of matter and energy.

When yogis contemplate the deepest inner nature of thier own living selves, they come to find that at the deepest recesses of consciousness exists a realm of "pure tranquil light".  Since this tranquil light is born from the oneness of life and the environment it is given the name "the land of pure tranquil light".  Because this nature at the deepest level of reality is neither birth nor death but rather the eternal undifferentiated state lying at the core of reality within the minds of living beings it has many non-dualistic qualities, qualities which are non-distinct in themselves other that the fact that they are the opposite of darkness. Therefore in the final analysis the primal state is the duality of light and darkness.

This makes sense in that the yogis who discover this light at the basis of all within the mind are actual living beings and not dead beings. Therefore the heat and light at the base of the inner reality is the same heat and light which powers the entire endless universe through a process of interdependent rebirths of interdepedent phenomena. Therefore the endless substance which powers the endless universe is the same stuff which we possess within our being. How could we therefore deny that we ourselves are expressions of a universal entity that is the true aspect of all things.

Gassho

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook