Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  May 11, 2009 - 2:15AM #1
Jeremywestenn

I am a practicing Wiccan. I worship a God, a Goddess, I even have a potential connection with a Voodoo Lwa.(Not to be confused with a God, more like one of the Voodoo God's spirit who oversee's a specific area)

These are not things that are going away, they are not up for change unless it is by the natural evolution of their own existence in my life. I expect to be devotee's to Lord and Lady for a long, long time.

Now, my question is this. I have grown a serious interest in Soka Gakkai Buddhism. I expect I will start seriously chanting this week and perhaps even go to the Soka Gakkai group on my campus this Friday(Assuming they didn't end meetings all ready for the end of the semester).

Now, the obvious question. Are these two faiths incompatible? I don't think the general concepts of Buddhism make it incompatible with other religions, unless those faiths are incompatible with it(Paganism however definetely does not fit into that category).

Thoughts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 11, 2009 - 7:55AM #2
Engyo

Hi Jeremy -

I imagine that you will get different answers from different folks.

Nichiren Buddhism doesn't preclude belief in deities or spirits per se; it's all in how you intepret both Wicca and Buddhism.  One of the three core Buddhist principles is impermanence; this is not truly compatible with the Christian concepts of deity and afterlife, for example.  I won't try to speak for SGI in particular, as I am no longer a member of that organization.

The other point is that chanting Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo is a meditation form; it works as long as you DO it, regardless of belief, organizational affiliation or lack thereof.

Namaste, Engyo

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 12, 2009 - 8:23PM #3
etoro

i Jeremy:

I am an active SGI member for over 25 years. Nichiren Buddhism does not require that you necessarily abandon your beliefs in other religions. But the actual reason for this stance derives from a very deep understanding of the reality of the nature and function of our lives. Buddhism says that our lives are conditional in nature. Our thoughts, words and deeds are simply the manifest effects of causes and conditions. The causality of all things is very deep and profound. Causes and conditions are also innumerable just as reality is boundless and endless.  Therefore Buddhism is based on the practice of cause and effect and not simply a belief system. As you practice Buddhism your insight will naturally increase along a path of common sense and true reality as it appears before your mind in a state of calmness and true obervation of phenomena as they actually are.   No need to worry about beliefs. The mind will naturally clear up and live on the basis of truth.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 16, 2009 - 1:03AM #4
leguru

Hi, Jeremy. Welcome. I have been practicing SGI Buddhism for 23 years and can tell you that it is not so much a religion as a philosophy of life. Similar to what Etoro has said. Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo will put you in rythm with the universe and help you to understand the true nature of all phenomena. My guess is that Lord and Lady will help guide you into this practice. Let it happen.

Peace

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2009 - 7:00PM #5
Littlebear4181

Greetings Jeremy

I would like to add to Leguru's statement, *he* wrote that NamMyohoRengeKyo puts

you in touch and connection with the Universe. I would like to say that NMRK is not, in

my opinion that way. What it is, is like having Cable Tv. There is an incoming and and

outgoing signal and these two when in balance, harmonize to create the right image and

sensory experience.  It also functions (opinion) to where you can change channels to

choose which things to focus you attention on, namely your *daimoku*.  Someone

could have many problems and areas of trouble in their life but only work on some that

are of presence in their awareness.

It is not where you chant and the Universe fixes you straight out, you have choice as

to which areas the daimoku force will work most intently on based on your assiduity of

practice, Study and chanting.

Littlebear

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 4:32AM #6
sgi_chris

I am probably replying to a very old, pretty dead, topic. I have studied Wicca, beautiful religion, and the god and goddess are intriguing. However, I think if you were to sit and drag out a long explanation of what the god and goddess is the Buddha, he would just simply ask: "Why do you need them?" You have the power to change your own Karma and Destiny! Karma defeats the reasons for god(s) to exist or be nessessary. If your actions hold consequences and you can alter your destiny, why do you need gods? The Buddha mentions in the Dharmapada to be your own Savior. Obviously not all Wiccans see the God and Goddess as Savior gods, but the question still stands-Why?- if you have all the tools then you have the ability to accomplish the goal of Ultimate Happiness with the Mystic Truth innate in your life. 

Although Wicca practitioners don't always see the Divine the way Christians do, I am more inclined to believe that, from the Buddhist perspective, Divinity is our projection of our Greater [Essential] Self out into the Universe. God or the Divine is always whatever we hope, or really want, to be. 

Chanting enables you to tap your own innate power, not the power of Gods. Gods in Buddhism symbolized positive functions of the Universe, not literal beings. 

But, I also don't want to be a Person of Incorrigible Disbelief, a Buddha sows hope not doubt and suffering. If you feel that you need the God and Goddess that's fine. However, Nichiren Buddhism does teach that the Truth is innate in our lives, not outside of us. The most valuable answers lie in us. Good Luck!

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo,

Chris

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook