Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
9 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 12:48PM #1
bird_on_a_wire
I have been a member of the s.g.i for a year..I like the practice, but I don't like attending the meetings.. I have anxiety to begin with, and when I attend any meetings, I always feel a huge rush to leave..the chapter leader is calling me always to attend... It is becoming more of a stress then being of help to me.The publications & practice, I like though.I have been very open from the beginning about my situation , so at this point, I don't know what to do. Thanxs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2009 - 3:47PM #2
etoro
Talk, be open, share. Open up.  Let the leaders in your area know exactly what you feel, like and don't like.  Don't bottle things up and then ask for guidance from other people with negative feelings.  Since there is nothing more joyous than beautiful empathetic human bonds of friendship do not allow yourself to be pulled apart from those sincere members simply because of your own negative karma.. After all, we practice Buddhism to win over our own negativity and enjoy a more happy life.

Be Happy
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 11:10AM #3
bird_on_a_wire
Etoro,
thank you for your opinion. However, I have not kept things bottled up, I was very open with the members about my feelings about going  to meetings..Perhaps if this is what you deemed my negative karma, and by asking for advise from other members about this situation is wrong, I am not right for this organization.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 9:45PM #4
Neverdespise
"Whether you chant the Buddha’s name, recite the sutra, or merely offer flowers and incense, all your virtuous acts will implant benefits and roots of goodness in your life" (On Attaining Buddhahood in this Lifetime).

Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2009 - 7:23PM #5
Littlebear4181

Dear Bird on a wire,

I would like to say I share some of your emotions of social anxiety. Wheither it is something you feel ONLY at the Nichiren meetings and Hon meetings or this is something that is more

*pervasive* that is not for me to say.  If you would like some help on this, I belong to a few groups that may be of interest to you.

more importantly I would like to point and and *highlight* the words of Etoro.

Since there is nothing more joyous than beautiful empathetic human bonds of friendship do not allow yourself to be pulled apart from those sincere members simply because of your own negative karma..

--------

HE choose his words well, for which I applaud his daimokued wisdom. He did not say,

Go to meetings to meet members, He said, don't let your feelings keep you isolated.

I like a thing I read once, "Don't let what you *can not do* interfer with what you *can do*."  I encourage and implore you to be mindful of these ideas that we have shared, Etoro and myself.

One of my experiences, I was very socially anxiety burdened, I still am. Because of my spiritual practice I was lead to get a job as a demonstrator in a membership warehouse club.

It afforded me a chance to become bolder, more confident and more relaxed in approaching,

talking to and relating to people.  I still have a great deal of challenge in many other social areas, but I am much better in general socializing compared to before.

This practice opens the chance to grow in ways that may be *at the time* uncomfortable, but I do not know of anyone who grew in a way that they regret.

Give yourself the opportunity to recieve what you deserve and don't allow your emotions to hold you back or to sabotage your greatest good.

Whatever your choice about Hon, and Kaikan meetings I would advise you to at least understand the motives and reasons in your deep nature that bring you to feel uncomfortable there. It may be a reason that shows you need to grow, or it may be a feeling that is your own best decernment and discretion which tells you that THE MEETINGS that you are attenting do not have something you need. "I" myself, attend meetings only about 40 miles away, very very inconvenient, but the hons in my neighborhood have bristled me and raised my hackles.

I might advise you as the Golden Letters above the door to Apollo's Delphi oracle;

KNOW THYSELF.

best in life and best in living to you.

Littlebear

..-----------

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 1:30PM #6
bird_on_a_wire

Littlebear and Mark,

Thank you for all of your wisdom. I have been attending meetings so far & with only slight anxiety..

I also appreciate that they seem to understand me and havent asked me to present anything.

They are also keeping to a format, so it erased most of the *drama* that was going on.All of that has helped me.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2010 - 1:49PM #7
bird_on_a_wire

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if what i hear is true, that the leaders take statistics at each meeting, about who attends , from what division, etc..If it is true, that would certainly answer some of the mysery as to why there is pressure to attend meetings, the phone calls, e-mails, etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2010 - 8:03PM #8
Liz

Hello,

I would like to be counted at any place I go to because it makes me feel people care for my happiness, development and growth.

It is a matter of profound respect towards the other individual. Look at society,nobody knows what happened to that particular individual in case of a desaster.

In the SGI, which I am a humble member. People care. I do care, support my life for my growth  and respect the dignity of others because I am equal to all.a

I hope all the best for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2010 - 11:18PM #9
RenGalskap
Liz
Posts; 1

Liz has been counted. ;-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2010 - 5:03PM #10
Liz