Page 6 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can You Practice Buddism If You Are Christian?
1 year ago  ::  Aug 16, 2013 - 5:37PM #51
chevy956

Aug 12, 2013 -- 8:41AM, miknik5 wrote:

Aug 12, 2013 -- 5:11AM, Lycas7x wrote:

Aug 9, 2013 -- 11:55AM, miknik5 wrote:

May 27, 2009 -- 4:00AM, Lycas7x wrote:

I think that I'm trying to avoid intimacy by diving head first into Buddhism.  Like most philosophies of life it certainly changed the nature of my questions.  I had to get the over emphisis on Christianity and the 12 steps out of my head.  I want to see the truth in all things in a compassionate way.  No God No self No one... the emptiness.  The earth was without still and void.

I still haven't reached meditation levels or the ability to sit, but I like the way I look at defilements and disire now;  the five hiderances.  These precepts are much more vast and I could have never grapsed them 20 years ago.  I have seen and heard things that spirtual people avoid living with active addiction in my household.  The group, the readings and the path.  I met a buddhist many years ago leaving his Catholism behind.  He was into the Nechren Shoshu sect.  They kept telling him that everything was slander. We went seperate ways.

There are many answers to the same question.  All roads lead to the same destination.  Its in the journey. The ability to let go of old ideas is not restricted to Chritianity or Buddhism.

Why not ask this question on the Discuss Christianity forum?

And you were right with the first words which came out of your mouth:

I think I am trying to avoid intimacy....

But why?  Why would you WANT to avoid intimacy?  And if you understand that there even is intimacy, why would you look and go to any other but????

I found the follow up on this thread helpful to say the least.  The idea that a creator god is just another delusion is interesting.  Buddha said somethings about what to believe and what not believe.  If I am ready to let my belief in God go and want to start believing in the six rhelms and the possibilities of rebirth as a hungry ghost  for my bad karma because I don't have compassion for animals and the dead roaches I step on in my kichen etc. I half way there.

If Siddarth saw all his past and present lives... and I will not obtain enlightenment in this one anyway. Maybe I am Jesus christ and I will start the Age of Aquirius in my next life. One may also know that the chances of being born human are minimal and thats why were are suppose to work the dharma in this life, and I was born into a christian family based on my karma.

All things are imperminate and suffering exist.  Maybe I should split hairs over whether I should say a few hail mary's or chant the names of buddha. Maybe we should focus on wisdom and maybe Christian know nothing about this.  All these dialogue degenrate into nothing or nonexistance. I think I will have feelings like intimacy and disire as long as I need words to express them.

No.  No maybe(s)....this is not a test trial.

You have no objective evidence that it is not a test trial.

Stick with what you actually know- you are way out of your depth here...

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 16, 2013 - 5:57PM #52
chevy956

Aug 10, 2013 -- 4:46AM, Utilyan wrote:

Aug 10, 2013 -- 2:59AM, Bob0 wrote:

And I've sincerely practiced meditation......SINCERELY for about 7 years

Tell me about this.

I still don't know what the perception of Light practice is.  

We are talking about concentration, not light practice. You are not the mentioned monk but a seeker. The last paragraph is of great help.

"(4) "And what is the development of concentration that... leads to the ending of the effluents? There is the case where a monk remains focused on arising & falling away with reference to the five clinging-aggregates: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is feeling... Such is perception... Such are fabrications... Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents"

If it makes you feel better as a catholic I'm told My God let his son die for me.......So its no sweat at all for me to let my religion die for you

I have no interest in this.

Theres a lot of writings saying there are 4 and 4 jhanas........I call BS cause I know I've seen 5.   Theres stuff I know they don't tell us.

There are schools that believe in seven jhanas. Again, I have no interest in arguing how many jhanas there are.

Bob

Im gonna do step 4.   I'm gonna let go and observe the aggregates.....rising and fall away.  Ill get back to you as soon as im a buddha. Laughing

You already are a buddha....nothing to wait for.

Chevy

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 16, 2013 - 10:11PM #53
Utilyan

Aug 16, 2013 -- 5:57PM, chevy956 wrote:

Aug 10, 2013 -- 4:46AM, Utilyan wrote:

Aug 10, 2013 -- 2:59AM, Bob0 wrote:

And I've sincerely practiced meditation......SINCERELY for about 7 years

Tell me about this.

I still don't know what the perception of Light practice is.  

We are talking about concentration, not light practice. You are not the mentioned monk but a seeker. The last paragraph is of great help.

"(4) "And what is the development of concentration that... leads to the ending of the effluents? There is the case where a monk remains focused on arising & falling away with reference to the five clinging-aggregates: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is feeling... Such is perception... Such are fabrications... Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents"

If it makes you feel better as a catholic I'm told My God let his son die for me.......So its no sweat at all for me to let my religion die for you

I have no interest in this.

Theres a lot of writings saying there are 4 and 4 jhanas........I call BS cause I know I've seen 5.   Theres stuff I know they don't tell us.

There are schools that believe in seven jhanas. Again, I have no interest in arguing how many jhanas there are.

Bob

Im gonna do step 4.   I'm gonna let go and observe the aggregates.....rising and fall away.  Ill get back to you as soon as im a buddha. Laughing

You already are a buddha....nothing to wait for.

Chevy

I keep falling asleep.         I didn't always do this.   Once I had a real good curiosity/interest with what was going to happen on that next breath...    Had that fresh beginner's  mind.

Now I made a bad habit of just sleeping and drooling all over the place.      I do alot of nodding off ,waking up......Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 17, 2013 - 9:13AM #54
miknik5

Aug 16, 2013 -- 5:37PM, chevy956 wrote:

I think that I'm trying to avoid intimacy by diving head first into Buddhism.  Like most philosophies of life it certainly changed the nature of my questions.  I had to get the over emphisis on Christianity and the 12 steps out of my head.  I want to see the truth in all things in a compassionate way.  No God No self No one... the emptiness.  The earth was without still and void.

I still haven't reached meditation levels or the ability to sit, but I like the way I look at defilements and disire now;  the five hiderances.  These precepts are much more vast and I could have never grapsed them 20 years ago.  I have seen and heard things that spirtual people avoid living with active addiction in my household.  The group, the readings and the path.  I met a buddhist many years ago leaving his Catholism behind.  He was into the Nechren Shoshu sect.  They kept telling him that everything was slander. We went seperate ways.

There are many answers to the same question.  All roads lead to the same destination.  Its in the journey. The ability to let go of old ideas is not restricted to Chritianity or Buddhism.

But why?  Why would you WANT to avoid intimacy?  And if you understand that there even is intimacy, why would you look and go to any other but????

I found the follow up on this thread helpful to say the least.  The idea that a creator god is just another delusion is interesting.  Buddha said somethings about what to believe and what not believe.  If I am ready to let my belief in God go and want to start believing in the six rhelms and the possibilities of rebirth as a hungry ghost  for my bad karma because I don't have compassion for animals and the dead roaches I step on in my kichen etc. I half way there.

If Siddarth saw all his past and present lives... and I will not obtain enlightenment in this one anyway. Maybe I am Jesus christ and I will start the Age of Aquirius in my next life. One may also know that the chances of being born human are minimal and thats why were are suppose to work the dharma in this life, and I was born into a christian family based on my karma.

All things are imperminate and suffering exist.  Maybe I should split hairs over whether I should say a few hail mary's or chant the names of buddha. Maybe we should focus on wisdom and maybe Christian know nothing about this.  All these dialogue degenrate into nothing or nonexistance. I think I will have feelings like intimacy and disire as long as I need words to express them.

I know what I know...and because "this anointing IS REAL"....no man will ever be able to convince me otherwise...because I know who I learned of and from whom I learned it...and that is why no man will be able to convince me otherwise...I did not learn from a man...what I learned came from GOD.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 17, 2013 - 5:24PM #55
Utilyan

Aug 17, 2013 -- 9:13AM, miknik5 wrote:

I know what I know...and because "this anointing IS REAL"....no man will ever be able to convince me otherwise...because I know who I learned of and from whom I learned it...and that is why no man will be able to convince me otherwise...I did not learn from a man...what I learned came from GOD.

Well if God taught it to you.........then you must be perfect at it, since God is perfect.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 18, 2013 - 11:08PM #56
chevy956

No one here cares about your subjective unverifiable personal gnosis. Its irrelevent to anyone but you, anyway.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 19, 2013 - 3:26PM #57
mainecaptain

Aug 18, 2013 -- 11:08PM, chevy956 wrote:

No one here cares about your subjective unverifiable personal gnosis. Its irrelevent to anyone but you, anyway.

Very true Chevy

Miknik, why don't you start your own thread, (in the appropriate forum ) About why you think your personal gnosis is true for everyone. But other peoples personal gnosis is wrong period?

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 19, 2013 - 6:22PM #58
chevy956

Utilyan said-

"I keep falling asleep.         I didn't always do this.   Once I had a real good curiosity/interest with what was going to happen on that next breath...    Had that fresh beginner's  mind.

Now I made a bad habit of just sleeping and drooling all over the place.      I do alot of nodding off ,waking up......Laughing"

>>> It's okay. Here's a bit of teaching i received from Lama Tsultrim Allione, who runs a wonderful Tibetan Buddhist retreat center in Pagosa Springs, CO, that you might find useful.

" You should know that each and everyone of you is already enlightened. The prupose of your practice is to remind you of that fact."

Don't work so hard, vato....

Cheers- Chevy

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 20, 2013 - 1:34PM #59
mainecaptain

Aug 19, 2013 -- 6:22PM, chevy956 wrote:

Utilyan said-

"I keep falling asleep.         I didn't always do this.   Once I had a real good curiosity/interest with what was going to happen on that next breath...    Had that fresh beginner's  mind.

Now I made a bad habit of just sleeping and drooling all over the place.      I do alot of nodding off ,waking up......Laughing"

>>> It's okay. Here's a bit of teaching i received from Lama Tsultrim Allione, who runs a wonderful Tibetan Buddhist retreat center in Pagosa Springs, CO, that you might find useful.

" You should know that each and everyone of you is already enlightened. The prupose of your practice is to remind you of that fact."

Don't work so hard, vato....

Cheers- Chevy

Thank you Chevy

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 22, 2013 - 4:23PM #60
Piobair_Paganach

Can You Practice Buddism If You Are Christian?

Buddhism in nontheistic, and I cannot think of anything in the Precepts, Noble Eightfold Path, or the Paramitas which Jesus would think of as anything but commendable. However, by your profession of faith, you're by definition Christian. As the Dalai Lama said, "Don't try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already-are.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook