6 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 1:43PM #1
Machine234
Hey Everyone!

I've been practicing mediation daily for around two years now, and I took refuge about 6 months ago...

The only current hindrance to my practice is the fact I'm 17 and live over an hour away from any major Tibetan teachers who could give me empowerments and guide me along my path...

So in the mean time I was wondering if their were any other beneficial practices I could add to my meditation and mantra practices...

What do you guys think?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 2:45PM #2
fisi
Hello Machine234,

For many Western Buddhists in the Tibetan tradition have the same problem - the accessibility to a Dharma Center, let alone a center with Buddhist teachers/lamas who can assist you in your Dharma practice. Many who live an hour or away or so, are still regulars even if they come every other week. So often there is no requirement for you to attend each and every weekend to get a substantial amount of advice from your Lamas.

For SOME Lamas, there is no necessity to recieve empowerment before doing a basic tantric method meditation. The Dalai Lama often encourages meditation on the Buddha of Compassion, Avalokitesvara which traditionally needs an empowerment in some Tibetan schools. It depends on the teacher and the school he or she is from.

Simple practices that you do now are just as leading to Awakening as the tantric practices that require empowerments. But since the accessibility to Tibetan Buddhist teachers are only an hour away, I would really recommend to go visit.

:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2008 - 9:05PM #3
Jinzang
Just keep doing the practices you are doing already. There's no need to do a lot of different practices. And you shouldn't pick and choose practices on your own. Ask a lama's advice on that. If you can talk with a lama about your practice every six months or so, that is good and sufficient.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook