Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
6 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2008 - 6:33PM #11
jeffund
The flow of tears is natural release of the body.  Don't let anyone imply that you should feel bad for being "emotional", as genuine meditation includes release of built up energies at all levels of awareness.  The experience of one pointed awareness can be very joyful.  Likely your tears are a sign that you are applying what you have learned from your teacher(s).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2008 - 7:25PM #12
bshmr
If this happened to me, not that it hasn't, I would start with "Oh, I didn't know this (about me)." just as I do if I feel hateful, joyful, amused, or whatever. It not always easy yet I ease into awareness of what is arising and alive in its season (so to speak) instead of what is leaving and dying.

Perhaps you are more complete than 'that self' who stifles tears? Or, the one who depends on tears.

Some teach that it is the  diversity of the seeds within us which spontaneously spring to life, or that we permit to, [which] is a measure of how self-less one is. To those, it is wonderous when folks water more than the same old seeds, of say, self-control (image).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2008 - 11:01PM #13
Dharma66
Tears in meditation are just a release. You say that you aren't sad then, maybe they are tears of happiness. Any work we do, whether physical or spiritual, can bring forth tears. Just as we cry when we give birth, both from exhaustion and happiness, so we may cry from spiritual release or rapture. It is nothing more than a physical manifestation of a spiritual state. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. As a matter of fact, anyone who has been meditating for a while will know what is happening and be glad for you. It shows you have been successful in your meditation. Accept that the tears are your body's way of rejoicing in the spiritual gain you have made.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2008 - 11:01PM #14
Dharma66
Tears in meditation are just a release. You say that you aren't sad then, maybe they are tears of happiness. Any work we do, whether physical or spiritual, can bring forth tears. Just as we cry when we give birth, both from exhaustion and happiness, so we may cry from spiritual release or rapture. It is nothing more than a physical manifestation of a spiritual state. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. As a matter of fact, anyone who has been meditating for a while will know what is happening and be glad for you. It shows you have been successful in your meditation. Accept that the tears are your body's way of rejoicing in the spiritual gain you have made.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 9:21PM #15
zenblender
I had an interesting experience along these lines today, and I wonder if I can get some feedback. I wasn't in the middle of meditating, although I've increased my practice lately.

I'd sat down for lunch at a local burger joint, and was waiting on my food. I took a look at the ketchup bottle on my table and sort of suddenly it just occured to me how "precious" the ketchup bottle was (weird, I know, of all things). I looked up around the restaurant, and noticed all the people and I felt some sort of affinity for every person I looked at - not all glowing and blissed-out, but just like every person I looked at I felt somewhat happy to see. And as I turned all this over in my mind, tears started to well up in my eyes.

Later I was telling my wife about it, and I started to get choked up just talking about it. Anyone have this kind of experience before?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2008 - 3:18AM #16
nnn
Today was not another day! After so many days I went for morning walk (alert walk). On the way I saw trees been cut for having new buildings.  After good walk I stopped for Tea a roadside shop. I saw a street dog approaching me, it came near and sniffed me, was around me until I left from there. After that I could not stop tears. From that shop to my place I was in tears, could not stop it. After reaching my room, tears were coming for another 15-30 min. The thoughts that were going in mind were something about suffering of others (trees, dogs and human ). Can I do something for suffering? I should do something this suffering of others. and at end I felt I can’t help them.
What I can say now while writing this is spontaneity which was lost has come back!
Please do comment on this.
(I have been doing meditation for 6 months now).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2013 - 2:07AM #17
Joyful619
Crying is perfectly normal during meditation.  It's a process of healing and is a good sign.  It's a form of releasing deep thoughts that have been supressed in your mind and that is now coming up to the surface...letting go and starting to feel forgiveness.  Sometimes you may not realize what you are crying about, but when your session ends you will feel a sense of calm, loving and more in touch with yourself.  After I cry when mediating I often don't remember what I was crying about I just know I feel better afterwards.  Some ppl may find it strange like they are doing something wrong during meditation or are afraid to meditate for fear that they will always cry.  It's perfectly ok. It will often come in phases depending on how deep you meditate and how much you have bottled up inside of your heart and mind.  Continue to practice meditation daily and you will feel love, peace, and harmony.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook