Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
10 years ago  ::  May 15, 2008 - 5:03PM #1
livingaith
From my research, there is no god in Buddhism. So, I was wondering about Buddhist prayer?
Who do you pray to? The Buddah?
Can you pray to the deceased for their prayers and guidence?

I ask this because I am a Catholic thinking of conversion. And was just wondering about Buddhist prayer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 12:48AM #2
ronnewmexico
As I mentioned elsewhere....I advise you to stick with the religion of your culture and upbringing.

I will answer your questions only from a personal perspective and not from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective necessarily.

I pray to myself when I pray which rarely happens anymore(never say never). I prayed to myself for years, years ago.

I cannot pray to the deceased for their prayers and guidance. If they are in a spirit realm they are like us, no better nor worse, thusly their help may be like anyone elses help, or no help at all. If I need help it is much easier for me to ask a real live person. To ask for a spirits  guidance or prayer would be most unwise.Since they are like us(if they have remained in a spirit realm) they may or may not be more knowledgeable or compassionate than us. They may be quite deluded. Their spirit realm may actually be a realm of self creation.

So I cannot pray to the deceased. If I think there are spirits or some such around.....I chant or usually sing mantra for and to them.They may be quite sad being deluded and all. I may bring them some hope and happiness.

So I go to places they may inhabit and I sing to them.I may help them, they may not help me. They are quite sad, I feel and that is quite sad. When they feel my compassion and hear my song, this may ease their pain.

So I try in my small way to guide them to the dharma, through mantra and song.

That is all, and only from one with little understanding of things and a very small spiritual practice.

Stay with your religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 12:48AM #3
ronnewmexico
As I mentioned elsewhere....I advise you to stick with the religion of your culture and upbringing.

I will answer your questions only from a personal perspective and not from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective necessarily.

I pray to myself when I pray which rarely happens anymore(never say never). I prayed to myself for years, years ago.

I cannot pray to the deceased for their prayers and guidance. If they are in a spirit realm they are like us, no better nor worse, thusly their help may be like anyone elses help, or no help at all. If I need help it is much easier for me to ask a real live person. To ask for a spirits  guidance or prayer would be most unwise.Since they are like us(if they have remained in a spirit realm) they may or may not be more knowledgeable or compassionate than us. They may be quite deluded. Their spirit realm may actually be a realm of self creation.

So I cannot pray to the deceased. If I think there are spirits or some such around.....I chant or usually sing mantra for and to them.They may be quite sad being deluded and all. I may bring them some hope and happiness.

So I go to places they may inhabit and I sing to them.I may help them, they may not help me. They are quite sad, I feel and that is quite sad. When they feel my compassion and hear my song, this may ease their pain.

So I try in my small way to guide them to the dharma, through mantra and song.

That is all, and only from one with little understanding of things and a very small spiritual practice.

Stay with your religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 7:51AM #4
ProfessorGoatPellets
[QUOTE=ronnewmexico;502838]As I mentioned elsewhere....I advise you to stick with the religion of your culture and upbringing.[/QUOTE]

Why?

I was born and raised a Christian but that was my parents decision - not mine.  I am now Buddhist.

My advice is to follow your own beliefs regardless of culture or upbringing ... why accept something that you disagree with just because of your culture and upbringing?

[Sorry ronnewmexico ...]

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 12:29PM #5
ronnewmexico
Certainly PGP, no offense taken nor intended.

Most of theistic orientation and upbringing can find it very difficult to assimiliate core Buddhist concept. So usually a agolomoration occurs which may serve to increase compassion but often may present obstruction to compassion enhancemnet and effect. By my observvation.

Those that want to find personal happiness and personal better state, from result of religion may find it much easier to frame with the religion of their culture. They may create such circumstance or effect by means already available to them.

Those of the mindset that personal happiness and state is perhaps not so important or that find their cultures religion serves not to enhance compassionate effect(the I basically taken out of the equation as much as it may), should certainly pursue Buddhism.

My personal experience most spiritual adherants want first the personal then the other to be happy. That makes perfect sense and is rational, but is most easily found in ones own religion of culture. If one desires to find others happy first or personal happy state to be of relative inconseqence other cultures religion that may contain this aspect may be the religion of only resort...Buddhism.

This is to a extent a personal view as so expressed, but I am not singular in my view nor necessarily seperate from my religion Tibetan Buddhism in this regard. I can provide quote from HHDL that state basically one should stay with the religion of their culture...it is so much easier and much value at that level is available within them.

In another sense there are exceptions, but generally one is birthed in area to which they have commonality of habitual tendency and habitual assumption with others in that area.
That could perhaps be called common karmic effect. In that manner it is of no accident that those of theistic belief are born in a theistic culture. So to change from that culture and the apparent habitual tendency that precipitated ones birth in such culture is to not only work against that culture but also to work against ones habitual tendency. So it is a double whammy.....very difficult.

Not all but most all, or most commonly. You may as a Buddhist with such tendency be born (to cite only one possible example) in a nonBuddhist cultue due to specific transgression, such as in a past life causing a Buddhist to loose their faith by some action, and then you are born to a culture of no Buddhism in a next life as effect. So you may have habitual tendency of Buddhist orientation but result of past specific action(which is also habitual but of another nature)  which causes Buddhist to be born in theistic culture. But this is very rare.

Most(not all) theists who seek Buddhism by my observation seek what is already available within their own religion of culture in Buddhism but they are not aware of it through various causes.

This all to my limited understanding.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 12:49PM #6
ronnewmexico
As a aside goat

Most of these quaries(not all) are ventured by those who it seem rarely reply within a day or so of ventureing the question and possibly even more commonly do not ever respond at all. That action speaks of the seriousnes  of their spiritual inquiry. Such a person is hardly ever, by my experience, suitable for the changes necessary in adopting a religion of another culture at this time. Such a person must be in a sense desperate for the religion. This is usually not the case. More commonly perhaps is a exotic notion of religion has struck their fancy(as might one in a god realm be so struck) at the moment. No backup nor preserverance no sicktoitness. Circumstance has not presented for them, that exemplify for them the upmost seriousness and  difficulty of our present conditions. So they lack the motivation. Oh....this is a good idea for a minute or two. Not all but most. Like beings in a god  realm, things are mostly pretty good rght now,i no motivation to do this.

So maybe it is differing and we will see a quick response, but I suspect not. Most probably they will forget what they have written and where(as such in god realm of similiarity may be inclinded to do) and if they do remember, it will be quite after the fact, and just a afterthought. But not always. I even saw one that had apparently forgotton their log in. Created another name and thanked us for our replies, and even that was beyond most common response.  So this internet borders on wasted speech and the thus ariseing of a defilement.  to my limied understanding and experience.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 3:34AM #7
ProfessorGoatPellets
[QUOTE=ronnewmexico;503652]Most of these quaries(not all) are ventured by those who it seem rarely reply within a day or so of ventureing the question and possibly even more commonly do not ever respond at all. That action speaks of the seriousnes  of their spiritual inquiry. Such a person is hardly ever, by my experience, suitable for the changes necessary in adopting a religion of another culture at this time. Such a person must be in a sense desperate for the religion. This is usually not the case. More commonly perhaps is a exotic notion of religion has struck their fancy(as might one in a god realm be so struck) at the moment. No backup nor preserverance no sicktoitness. Circumstance has not presented for them, that exemplify for them the upmost seriousness and  difficulty of our present conditions. So they lack the motivation. Oh....this is a good idea for a minute or two. Not all but most. Like beings in a god  realm, things are mostly pretty good rght now,i no motivation to do this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 3:35AM #8
ProfessorGoatPellets
Sorry - I meant to type:

Thanks for replying!

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2009 - 6:22AM #9
Dakini108

Dear Livingaith,

I was reading old posts and replies seemed uninformed, or in some cases, attempts

at answers that sounded cruel. Hopefully the people that were insulting were just unmindful.

I was Catholic, but after studying alot of schools of Buddhism-I took my refuge vows at

temple 3 years ago. Different schools of Buddhism believe differently. Some pray to Buddha,

many Westerner Buddhists blend parts of tradition from different schools. My current temple

is Mahayana, where the teachings have stated, that alto for most folks, it's best to stick with

your 'root' religion-others convert- but should "honor" it. I've never been happier!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2010 - 5:23AM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Well, livingaith:

Someone's gotta set a baseline! Laughing

Cushion rack

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing