Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View mediation and what do they mean by "mind" anyway?
9 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2008 - 10:39PM #1
Lotusblossom
I once asked a  monk of the tibetan tradition where are memories of past lives and where exactly is your karma held so it can manifest at a later time.  He just said 'mind is not physical".

I didn't get it.  Ok, not physical but where the heck is it then?  What do you mean by "mind"?

Yesterday I had a really interesting mediation experience and maybe a beginning of knowing what the monk meant.  I injured my back and it has been very painful for weeks.  A teacher once taught me about something called "green healing " meditation for when you are sick or hurt, you visualize emerald green power immersing the part of you that is hurting, it is really quite effective sometimes. 

I meditated unil I had  a nice quiet mind with no words or stories  or chatter.     I still  felt conciousness coming from the place where thoughts and opinions usually are in my head.     I moved that conciousness to my hurting back and at that point it seemed  conciousness might usually be perceived as being in my head, but  it could also go other places.    Then I let the concious feeling move away from my body.  At that point it seemed like it has really always been part of what is everywhere, I just hadn't been able to see it before.   I wondered if this is what the monk meant when he said mind was not physical, maybe he means it's everywhere all the time in everything.   

Eventually my mediation came to an end, and my back still hurt, the chroes needed to be done, etc,

Is this just another experience, or is there a practice to pursue that would lead into greater awareness of hte conciousness?  Just wondering your thoughts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 11:54AM #2
etoro
In Mahayana Buddhism, mind is synonymous with Life and Life in Buddhism is synonymous with the the wisdom of the Dharma Law of the Buddha. Wisdom is subjective awareness of that which is universally true. The Buddha's mind is synonymous with that which is universally true. Therefore Mind in Buddhism can be considered the perfect fusion of subjective wisdom and objective reality.

Since it is through one's own mind that one becomes aware of the non-production and non-extinction of the phenomenal world, we can surmise that the universal truth resides in ones own mind.  Therefore if one wishes to know the mind of all Buddhas one merely needs to master ones own mind.

Gassho
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 11:54AM #3
etoro
In Mahayana Buddhism, mind is synonymous with Life and Life in Buddhism is synonymous with the the wisdom of the Dharma Law of the Buddha. Wisdom is subjective awareness of that which is universally true. The Buddha's mind is synonymous with that which is universally true. Therefore Mind in Buddhism can be considered the perfect fusion of subjective wisdom and objective reality.

Since it is through one's own mind that one becomes aware of the non-production and non-extinction of the phenomenal world, we can surmise that the universal truth resides in ones own mind.  Therefore if one wishes to know the mind of all Buddhas one merely needs to master ones own mind.

Gassho
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook