Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View SGI Goal: Kosen Rufu
10 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 4:25PM #1
Truth27
Hi,

What exactly IS it? 

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 6:20AM #2
june12
Kosen-rufu means wide propagation, or wide proclamation and propagation. A term from the Lotus Sutra that literally means to declare and spread widely.

I believe by heart  that the spread of the Mystic Law would bring about peace in society and nature.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 9:42AM #3
Engyo
Hi, June -

Can you please point out exactly where in the Lotus Sutra the term "kosen rufu" is used?  I was under the impression that this term is not found in either the Lotus Sutra or Nichiren's writings.  I have looked for it, and not been able to find it to date, in the sutra or the gosho.

Thanks in advance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 1:37PM #4
june12
Kosen-rufu [広宣流布] ( Jpn) means wide propagation, or wide proclamation and propagation. A term from the Lotus Sutra that literally means to declare and spread widely.

The "Medicine King" (twenty-third) chapter of the Lotus Sutra reads, "After I [Shakyamuni Buddha] have passed into extinction, in the last five-hundred-year period you must spread it abroad widely (kosen-rufu)  throughout Jambudvipa and never allow it to be cut off."

Nichiren wrote in his Selection of the Time,  "Can there be any doubt that, after this period described in the Great Collection Sutra when 'the pure Law will become obscured and lost,' the great pure Law of the Lotus Sutra will be spread far and wide (kosen-rufu)  throughout Japan and all the other countries of Jambudvipa?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 6:19PM #5
Engyo
OK, thanks June -

I am aware of the statements you reference, but I will check again to make sure.  I was under the impression that the terminology used is not actually "kosen rufu" (sorry can't do kanji here), but I will look again and verify this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 8:50PM #6
june12
Please let me add, in The True ASpect of All Phenomena, Nichiren also wrote, "At the time when the Law has spread far & wide (kosen-rufu), the entire Japanese nation will chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, as surely as an arrow aimed at the earth cannot miss the target."

My apology to Engyo if I made the impression that word "Kosen-rufu" was the exact term used. It's the meaning of the term.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 8:08AM #7
Engyo
Hello again, June and all -

I am truly curious - what exactly DOES "kosen-rufu" look like?  How is it defined?  How do you decide whether progress is being made towards "kosen-rufu" or not?

I was an NSA/SGI-USA member for 20 years, and I don't have  clear understanding of what this term exactly means.  Can anyone help me with specifics?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 8:39PM #8
sgi_chris
Kosen Rufu is the work for world peace, the words litterally mean to spread the teaching of Buddhism far and wide. But, mainly when we talk about it we talk about the spread of world peace, not missionary work so to say.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2008 - 2:28AM #9
etoro
Kosen Rufu must be understood within the context of the wisdom of the Lotus Sutra. This means many things but the foundation of its meaning and insight must be based on faith and practice to the Gohonzon joyful of the opportunity to do so. All people experience a change in their lives when they sincerely chant to the Gohonzon. Over the course of time they naturally come to purify their sense organs and they begin to develop genuine virtue in their lives. This occurs in the realm of dependent origination and across the chain of causation. The chain of causation itself is reversed and the entity of ones life returns to the wisdom of the true aspect of all phenomena. Or we can say that the three bodies of the Buddhas life is seen for what it is within our lives.

Kosen Rufu means to chant to the Gohonzon with the knowledge that "there is no greater happiness for human beings that to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo".  Here Nichiren is saying that the practice of chanting NMRK is an end in itself, yet it is also a means to an end.. He also quotes, "the people their in my land are happy and at ease." NIchiren interprets this statement from the Lotus Sutra when he states that "happy and at ease" means "the joy derived from the law".

The joy derived from the law indicates that we can experience the transcendental power of the Buddha in our lives. The Transcendental power of the Buddha is his transcendental wisdom. This power was transmitted from the Buddha to the people in the ceremony of the Lotus Sutra. Transcendental wisdom indicates an awakening to the Threefold Buddha in ones own mind. The threefold Buddha are the principles of temporary existence, nonsubstantiality and the middleway of wisdom. Each of these three truths contain each other and become the joy of existence as one  engages in faith and practice to the Gohonzon.   Nichiren states that faith in the Gohonzon fullfills all ones desires. The sutras states "all desires are fullfilled".

All of these reasons are the reasons why we gather together and chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and engage in the practice of helping others to do the same. All these reasons enable practitioners to overcome all obsatcles to the goals of daily life, that is to exist in a state of true happiness.  Existing in a state of true happiness derives from the knowledge that nothing is impossible when practices to the Gohonzon. The more one chants to overcome suffering and challenges, the more joy one obtains from the practice.  As Nichiren states, "logs make a fire roar and the wind makes the Gura swell".

The benefit of practicing to the Gohonzon means that we can manifest beauty and goodness in our lives. Beauty and goodness are temporary events and phenomena. They indicate the realms of Humanity and Heaven and the four noble paths. All events sponsored by the practitioners of the SGI are always accompanied with joy, vitality, courage, determination, and true wisdom towards the future. These are all virtuous qualities which transform poison into medicine. The consistent rebirth of these realms of existence at each moment of life is the principle of non-subsantiality. The consistency between the production of events characterized with pure joy, faith, consistency, sincerity, courage, determination, compassion for all beings through faith in Gohonzon is the manifestation of the middleway of wisdom. In this respect Kosen Rufu is none other than the practice of Nichiren Buddhism in society.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2008 - 2:30AM #10
etoro
Kosen Rufu must be understood within the context of the wisdom of the Lotus Sutra. This means many things but the foundation of its meaning and insight must be based on faith and practice to the Gohonzon joyful of the opportunity to do so. All people experience a change in their lives when they sincerely chant to the Gohonzon. Over the course of time they naturally come to purify their sense organs and they begin to develop genuine virtue in their lives. This occurs in the realm of dependent origination and across the chain of causation. The chain of causation itself is reversed and the entity of ones life returns to the wisdom of the true aspect of all phenomena. Or we can say that the three bodies of the Buddhas life is seen for what it is within our lives. The three bodies of the Buddhas life is the manifestation of the Law of Myoho Renge Kyo.

Kosen Rufu means to chant to the Gohonzon with the knowledge that "there is no greater happiness for human beings that to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo".  Here Nichiren is saying that the practice of chanting NMRK is an end in itself, yet it is also a means to an end.. He also quotes, "the people their in my land are happy and at ease." NIchiren interprets this statement from the Lotus Sutra when he states that "happy and at ease" means "the joy derived from the law".

The joy derived from the law indicates that we can experience the transcendental power of the Buddha in our lives. The Transcendental power of the Buddha is his transcendental wisdom. This power was transmitted from the Buddha to the people in the ceremony of the Lotus Sutra. Transcendental wisdom indicates an awakening to the Threefold Buddha in ones own mind. The threefold Buddha are the principles of temporary existence, nonsubstantiality and the middleway of wisdom. Each of these three truths contain each other and become the joy of existence as one  engages in faith and practice to the Gohonzon.   Nichiren states that faith in the Gohonzon fullfills all ones desires. The sutras states "all desires are fullfilled".

All of these reasons are the reasons why we gather together and chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and engage in the practice of helping others to do the same. All these reasons enable practitioners to overcome all obsatcles to the goals of daily life, that is to exist in a state of true happiness.  Existing in a state of true happiness derives from the knowledge that nothing is impossible when practices to the Gohonzon. The more one chants to overcome suffering and challenges, the more joy one obtains from the practice.  As Nichiren states, "logs make a fire roar and the wind makes the Gura swell".

The benefit of practicing to the Gohonzon means that we can manifest beauty and goodness in our lives. Beauty and goodness are temporary events and phenomena. They indicate the realms of Humanity and Heaven and the four noble paths. All events sponsored by the practitioners of the SGI are always accompanied with joy, vitality, courage, determination, and true wisdom towards the future. These are all virtuous qualities which transform poison into medicine. The consistent rebirth of these realms of existence at each moment of life is the principle of non-subsantiality. The consistency between the production of events characterized with pure joy, faith, consistency, sincerity, courage, determination, compassion for all beings through faith in Gohonzon is the manifestation of the middleway of wisdom. In this respect Kosen Rufu is none other than the practice of Nichiren Buddhism in society.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook